Macon County

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by jgullock, Mar 9, 2007.

1. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Well, I went in to the Probate Court just for kicks today to see if I could renew my license early (it expires 26 Sep 07). I had called a few days earlier to verify the charges for it and also asked how the turnaround time was - the Secretary said four months. :? So, I figured since they don't adhere to the law regarding the 60 day issue they would slide on the 90 day rule. Silly me. I went in and she asked me if I already had a license, she looked at it and said "Hmm, I'm going to have to get some guidance from the Judge on doing this so early". She calls him up...bla...bla...bla...hangs up and says "No, you'll need to come in a little closer to the expiration date". Didn't give an exact figure. So I asked "So when do you think I should?" to which she replied "Oh, a week or so before it expires. We'll see if we can do something for you then". :shock: I said "A week, even though the Code says within 90 days of the expiration date?" She says "yes". She may have been confused - I'd like to think so. We shall see...on 29 June 2007...the day I plan to grace their presence again.

I fear I will need GCO's help (I am a very satisfied member by the way) but in a sick sort of way I'm looking forward to it. 8) I try to do the right thing most times, hold doors open for people, don't kick dogs, stuff like that. I'm a right and wrong kind of guy - there is no gray area. This kind of thing is so wrong.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

There really is no 90 day rule. That is the opening window for applying for a temporary license, but I am unaware of any timeline for when one can apply for a renewal. Most courts use the 90 day temporary time as a guide (but then, most courts refuse to issue the temporary!).

3. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

So I suppose it's time to enlist the help of GCO since I was turned away?

4. Malum Prohibitum

The law does not specify when they must issue a renewal, I think, so I am not sure you can force them to accept an application, for example, 4 years away from renewal.

You probably can at 90 days because at that point you have an entitlement to the temporary.

All I meant was that the law is silent on the timeline for renewal time.

Most courts use the temporary timelines.

Did you ask whether they will issue you a temporary when the time comes?

5. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

I had asked a few months back about temps - their answer was no (I also posted it). My point is they told me to come back a week before my current license expires. I'm assuming from what they told me today that if I show up at 90 days they will tell me the same thing. From reading some of the issuance times here it seems a good average time is around six months - that's why I went today. I shouldn't end up being unlicensed because I waited for a timeframe that doesn't exist.

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

We also know courts often say it will take 4 months so don't even call us until then. If you give them 4 months they will take 4 months. I agree with the 90 days. Stay on their tail afterward and they will somehow get it through the 20 year gbi backlog in under 90 days.

7. Malum Prohibitum

GS1, I forgot to tell you: GCO is handling this matter behind the scenes right now. GCO will have an update when there is a result to report.

8. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

8)

I'll keep you posted on the latest poop as it becomes available.

P.S. - If you are not yet a member of GCO, JOIN!