machete sheath

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by gunsmoker, May 20, 2017.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Does anybody make a machete sheath that is intended for right-handers to wear at the 10 o'clock position, for a cross-draw?
    The sheath would need to be tipped to put the blade at an angle, and the handle of the weapon sticking towards your belly button.

I'm thinking like an old fashioned sword scabbard from 1000 - 2000 years ago.

But, I'd like the material to be somewhat flexible, but stiff enough to permit one-handed sheathing. I don't like nylon holsters because you have to use two hands to get a sharp machete back into them without cutting / damaging them.

Leather would be good. Or the top half of leather, with the bottom half of ballistic nylon, so it will bend if it hits something when empty.

2. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Been watching some Danny Trejo movies again? :lol:

3. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Standard GI 18" machete, or something else?
    Garden clearing or zombie dispatching?

I found several machete sheath's available online, but none specify that they hang at a cross-draw position. If I recall, most swords were carried on short straps to give the correct angle for drawing and allow the sheath some measure of freedom so it wouldn't get snagged.

Hmmmm.... making a sheath with Kydex from Walmart wouldn't be hard (except establishing the crossdraw angle).

ETA... actually if you use two short, adjustable straps for belt loops, it's even easier to make a Kydex sheath than to have one with a fixed angle belt loop. And you can have quick-release for emergencies.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  4. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

5. Smilodon

Smilodon Member

I was thinking of something like that or a riveted kydex belt hook. I think I would want the hook on the outside so that your belt goes outside of the sheath. I have seen machetes worn like that at your 6 o'clock. Just shove the sheathed machete between your belt and pants. I think Joe Flowers does that in one of his videos.

6. Smilodon

Smilodon Member

Joe starts talking about the sheath at just past 10:00.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uza5_281gqU[/ame]

Last edited: May 20, 2017