M14 with Sage stock

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by suttree, Dec 1, 2010.

1. suttree

suttree New Member

[​IMG]

M14 with Sage M14ALCS

How does one get one of these? It is my understanding that it is legal to own. Am I right? Do you have to by an M14 and then change the stock or can you by one this way. I can only find M14's and sage stocks seperately on gunbroker. Has anyone here ever fired or owned one? I'm guessing there are some military folks here who have? How much would this weapon cost?

Saving my pennies.

2. foxtrotterz

foxtrotterz New Member

http://www.sageinternationalltd.com/si/access/ebr.html

You can start there. I don't know why in the world it would be illegal to own. I have seen them on several M14's. Personally that stock is not for me, but if that's your style, I don't see what law would prohibit you from owning one.

You say has anyone ever fired one.... You mean the M14 platform in a Sage stock, or M14's in general. A Springfield M1A is the civilian version of an M14, nearly identical, minus the selector switch and the ss cutout.

I have shot many rounds through one and think there is no finer rifle. I don't have enough pennies for an M14, but I do have an M1A. She shoots like a dream in my opinion.

3. suttree

suttree New Member

Selector switch? So the military version has full auto?

4. foxtrotterz

foxtrotterz New Member

Yes, but that isn't used anymore. The M14 was the shortest lifespan of a battle rifle due to a lot of politics. The M14 and M21 are now primarily used by our special forces and marines as sniper rifles from what I understand. The M14 is quite effective out to about 900 yards, the ballistics of a 168 gr bullet suck much past a 1000. Although, 175 or 180's are used for long distance shots, but this will shorten the life of the rifle.

5. foxtrotterz

foxtrotterz New Member

Sorry, to answer your question, yes, the military version has a selector switch. It is on the right side of the gun, just where the stock meets the receiver, just in front of the rear sights.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I've shot one, and I would need a lot of training to control it on full auto.

7. suttree

suttree New Member

Thanks for all the info Foxtrotter. I have recently become interested in what weapons our troops are using on the battlefield today.

8. foxtrotterz

foxtrotterz New Member

Our troops in Vietnam after shooting 10's of thousands of rounds through one, still hadn't had enough training to control them. Shooting a .308 in full auto is a task for any man. That is the purpose of the flip up butt plate on the rifle, to help control it, but still didn't do a ton of good. It would have been a lot better to offer a double or triple burst.

Suttree, check out M14tfl.com for a ton of info on the platform, although I will warn you, the moderators are very strict over there on the weirdest things, so read forum rules and tread lightly. Also, http://www.m14.ca/ is another decent one. I haven't spent much time on the second link, but from what I saw, it looked decent.

There is a ton to learn about this platform. There is an absolute legend that is about 85 and is still accurizing these rifles and garands about 60 miles west of Atlanta. He is worth every penny, his rates are also about 20% of what most gunsmiths would charge for the same work, and he has easily 10x the experience. That man knows the M1 and M1A platform and lives to work on them. Get one asap if you feel it is for you and rush out to see him before he is no longer with us. Ol' Hook is his name, PM me for more info on him.

9. 1clearshot

1clearshot Member

I miss my SA Socom II. :cry: I used to drool over LRB built M1A with JAE stock....wait, I still drool over that rifle. :yum:

Awesome weapon....I just didn't have practical use for it and got hooked on other firearms....

10. 11b101abn

11b101abn Member

Yes. Until it's converted into a DMR.

FA on an M14 is useless.

The M14/SAGE combo is going the way of the dodo. It will be eventually replaced by the M110 family of weapons.

11. jdh31313

jdh31313 Active Member

What is wrong with traditional wooden furniture for a M-14 / M1A1?

12. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

Wood stocks are not dimensionally stable under all environmental conditions and they compress and wear under recoil and when the action is removed for cleaning. They also break easily compared to composite and polymer stocks. These characteristics cause the zero to shift in unpredictable ways and a broken stock could render the weapon unusable at the worst possible time.

They are pretty though.

As 11b101abn said the M110 series sniper rifle and the SCAR-H & SSR are going to replace the M-14 in service.......eventually.

13. Malum Prohibitum

Thanks for the info. I have been wondering about that.

14. Malum Prohibitum

15. EmergencyNrse

EmergencyNrse Member

This isn't necessarily true.
    Although the military has adopted burst weapons over the individual full-auto weapons, many veteran commanders are critical about reducing the effectiveness of suppressive fires. Still controversial, when you NEED a large volume of fire on the battlefield the 3-round burst doesn't come close to a squad or platoon letting go on full automatic.
    Sure the SAW & M-60 remain but there was a time when everyone in the unit could rock n' roll and it was a very effective tool when needed. Wasn't about accuracy. There is no "accuracy" on full auto whatever your platform/caliber (not hand-held anyway).

16. suttree

suttree New Member

I was looking at that last night. I found 2 listed on GB, didn't look like they sold, but the starting prices were $26000.00 and $35000.00.

Found one on a forum, the guy was asking $18500.00. He said that only 10 had been released for sale to the public. Don't know if thats true.

Edit- Sorry there is one for sale now, only 6 days left, starting bid $26900.00. Lets see, if I sold my truck, our extra car, and one of you guys will let me live in your basement I'm good.

17. jdh31313

jdh31313 Active Member

In the same manner that the B-1 bomber was going to replace the B-52? :D

18. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

Have you ever fired a full auto .308 battle rifle(FAL, M-14, G3)? You can't hit crap with it. You may get lucky and hit the target once with the first round but after that you're just gonna kill a lot of air. Believe it or not but there are large groups of highly trained armed men out there that can recognize that and they will counter your ambush with accurate fire and come kill you.

The M249 and M240 are totally different critters from a full auto battle rifle. They ARE accurate and capable of deploying controlled bursts of fully automatic fire to engage and destroy the bad guys. When I say accurate I mean they will be able to keep an entire burst on or very near a target whereas a full auto MBR will not.

The M60 has been pretty much phased out of all front line combat units. The only folks you might see fielding it are on a Navy ship or some third echelon oddball supply unit in one of the ground forces. SOCOM units also have the MK 46 & 48 which are lighter than the 249/240.

Jdh31313, the Clinton administration destroyed most of our military stockpiles of M-14s and sold off or gave away most of the parts and all of the tooling necessary to make more. We are simply running out of them with no chances of resupply on the scale necessary to keep the weapons system in service during wartime. If you do some research you'll find that SOCOM is buying a butt load of 7.62mm SCAR-H's. Once these are fielded I wouldn't be shocked to see the regular services get jealous and start to procure them as well especially if FN can pull off the common receiver project.

19. Malum Prohibitum

That is just not true. If you ever have the chance to try an MP5 in 9mm, give it a shot. Effortless accuracy on full auto. It is like you are not even trying. Weird, really. No real training needed. Just sight and shoot.