Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any history buffs that know story behind the format of the name M[n]A[n], such as M1A1, M40A5, etc. I'm sure it has significance, but it's elusive.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
Found this: http://www.hk94.com/hk/topic/6507-what- ... m1a1-mean/

m1 is the number that the military seems to assign to just about everything they can. m1a1 means M1 improved the first time. M1A2 would mean imroved the second time and so on. Thus the M1 Thompson is the older civvie gun and the M1A1 was the actual militarty one. I think the M1A1 took off some of the useless crap, mainly some kind of loading thingy in the action that was not necessary.
more at link...

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Everything in the military has a nomenclature. A P38 is a can opener, while GI (soldier) stands for "Government Issue".

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
Ahhh, Grasshoppa but Why is the P38 named that?
How many punctures it supposedly takes to open a standard C-ration can? (and remember there are different sizes of those things)
A reference to the famed P-38 Lightning?
A reference to Production Drawing #38?
A reference to the item being approximately 38cm long?
...?

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Fallschirmjäger said:
Ahhh, Grasshoppa but Why is the P38 named that?
How many punctures it supposedly takes to open a standard C-ration can? (and remember there are different sizes of those things)
A reference to the famed P-38 Lightning?
A reference to Production Drawing #38?
A reference to the item being approximately 38cm long?
...?
38 millimeters long.

Grasshopper? At 65, that would make about the oldest on Earth. :lol:

Okay, I'd forgotten, so I used Wiki. :oops:

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
The 38mm long thing kind of caught me too, but in the early 40's who was even Thinking about metric measurements in the US?

I think we'll never know, but until I saw the measurements I'd always thought it was about production drawing #38. :?

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
And I ask...what about the BA 1100 ns w/string attachment? Or the ST1 and the TR double "e"?

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts
gruntpain1775 said:
And I ask...what about the BA 1100 ns w/string attachment? Or the ST1 and the TR double "e"?
ST1=SONAR Technician, First Class
BA-1100-N a snipe hunt for new soldiers, especially communication soldiers. BA refers to battery types; however, BA-1100-N spells "balloon." Can also be modified to require an "attaching strap"; in this case, a balloon on a string.

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
gruntpain1775 said:
Hid behind many a tr-double-e in my day, lots of good shade.
We used to send guys up to Bn Hq to requisition a Prick-E7, or 'the keys to Area-J, (Bragg's major training area)

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
mountainpass said:
gruntpain1775 said:
ST1=SONAR Technician, First Class
BA-1100-N a snipe hunt for new soldiers, especially communication soldiers. BA refers to battery types; however, BA-1100-N spells "balloon." Can also be modified to require an "attaching strap"; in this case, a balloon on a string.
ST1=ST ONE=Stone.

You do know I made that post in jest right?

I used to make Cherry LTs go to the armsroom to sign out a Pen 15. That was always funny. I never sent Privates to get stuff like a roll of flight line, or a can of rotor wash. I sent the new LT.

Best one I ever had was a LT who was wanting to know how to lock the turret on a uparmor. I explained to him it was kinda like a combination lock, you had to go so many times to the left, so many to the right, then so many to the left then reach down and push the locking lever in place. I thought he knew I was joking until later in the day I seen him up in one spinning around around so he he could lock it in place. He was a special one. Took him a trip to range control to Figure out that you can't turn on a Range Fan...

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
gruntpain1775 said:
Don't forget to grab me a box of grid squares from Top while you over there picking up that PMCS fluid I told you to get 1/2 an hour ago!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts