Lump in my throat

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by AV8R, Sep 2, 2007.

1. AV8R

AV8R Banned

The race is on!

I was watching the pre-race show, and when I heard the National Anthem and watched a couple jets fly by I got misty eyed. Every time I hear that song I get a lump in my throat.

Today it was 2 F-117 stealth fighters. Niiiiiiice.

2. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

3. AV8R

AV8R Banned

P-51 has always been one of my favs since childhood. Another fav (I'm facinated with SAC) is this big bird.

4. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Maybe one of you who knows more on this can educate me a little, but I have been reading that the F-22 isn't exactly all it was cracked up to be, in that as an air-to-air platform it doesn't perform as well in a dogfight as some of our older technology. I do understand that it is supposed to be radar invisible, but if the target isn't acquired far enough out and dogfight ranges are met, wouldn't we be better off funding more advancements on the F-18 platform?

Just curious.

5. Wiley

Wiley Guest

At air shows you occasonally see an old, restored WarBird in formation with one of the new fighters. That get me.

6. merlock

merlock Active Member

A lot of the F-22 has to do with the USAF's desire to have the cutting edge on everything. I've had the opinion that the money being thown at the F-22 could be used to upgrade the F-15, still the best air-to air platform in the world:

101-0 record

104-0 record

7. AV8R

AV8R Banned

I haven't heard that. :?:

8. tace

tace New Member

Not sure where you got any of this. It's actually exactly opposite. It's not a stealth plane, it's stealthy, but not a stealth plane like B-2 or F-117.

And when it comes to performance there is only one plane in the world that can come even close to it, but that one is not stealthy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurofighter

9. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Yeh like I said, I'm no expert. I just happened to read an article by the guy who was one of the developers of the F-16 who basically said that his old bird could outperform the F-22 in a dogfight.

10. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Regretfully, Jimmie Gordon's car is running really good.

11. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Haha. I have johnson on my fantasy this week. I do it for the points, not because I like her.

12. AV8R

AV8R Banned

:lol: :rotfl: =D>

13. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Ky. Busch takes the lead.

14. AeroShooter

Nah, that's a legacy aircraft now! :)

15. AeroShooter

Someone is talking out of their hat...

16. M249

M249 New Member

All of those other planes are just toys. The greatest aircraft ever flown by any pilot of any air force is just old ulgy:

[​IMG]

17. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Ahhh yes, the A-10 is a fantastic airplane. I don't think it is ugly at all (considering the beast I fly). The A-10 is the only flying tank in the world.

18. AeroShooter

What do you fly?