Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The race is on!

I was watching the pre-race show, and when I heard the National Anthem and watched a couple jets fly by I got misty eyed. Every time I hear that song I get a lump in my throat.

Today it was 2 F-117 stealth fighters. Niiiiiiice.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Maybe one of you who knows more on this can educate me a little, but I have been reading that the F-22 isn't exactly all it was cracked up to be, in that as an air-to-air platform it doesn't perform as well in a dogfight as some of our older technology. I do understand that it is supposed to be radar invisible, but if the target isn't acquired far enough out and dogfight ranges are met, wouldn't we be better off funding more advancements on the F-18 platform?

Just curious.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Thorsen said:
Maybe one of you who knows more on this can educate me a little, but I have been reading that the F-22 isn't exactly all it was cracked up to be, in that as an air-to-air platform it doesn't perform as well in a dogfight as some of our older technology. I do understand that it is supposed to be radar invisible, but if the target isn't acquired far enough out and dogfight ranges are met, wouldn't we be better off funding more advancements on the F-18 platform?

Just curious.
A lot of the F-22 has to do with the USAF's desire to have the cutting edge on everything. I've had the opinion that the money being thown at the F-22 could be used to upgrade the F-15, still the best air-to air platform in the world:

101-0 record

104-0 record

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thorsen said:

Just curious.
I haven't heard that. :?:

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Thorsen said:

Just curious.
Not sure where you got any of this. It's actually exactly opposite. It's not a stealth plane, it's stealthy, but not a stealth plane like B-2 or F-117.

And when it comes to performance there is only one plane in the world that can come even close to it, but that one is not stealthy. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurofighter

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Yeh like I said, I'm no expert. I just happened to read an article by the guy who was one of the developers of the F-16 who basically said that his old bird could outperform the F-22 in a dogfight.

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
Thorsen said:
...I have been reading that the F-22 isn't exactly all it was cracked up to be, in that as an air-to-air platform it doesn't perform as well in a dogfight as some of our older technology. I do understand that it is supposed to be radar invisible, but if the target isn't acquired far enough out and dogfight ranges are met, wouldn't we be better off funding more advancements on the F-18 platform?

Just curious.
Someone is talking out of their hat...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts