Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wish I had bought an SKS several years ago for under $100...

But to my question:

If I buy an imported mil surp anything how can I be sure that I'm not violating that 922 rule that can put you in jail ?

My research on the 10 items and where they were manufactured and how to prove it is worrisome. Worries me because I cannot make sense of the rule much less how to keep from violating it.

Does buying from an FFL improve the odds for being legal ?

·
Registered
293 Posts
You have no 922 worries if you have the rifle in it's stock form with no modifications. Buying from an FFL does not mean that the rifle you will have is 922 compliant. I have seen plenty of SKS in violation of 922, in stores, and at gun shows.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Try to find how many folks have actually been charged with a 922r violation......

Hint, there aren't any that were not tacked onto other charges.

·
Banned
7,204 Posts
It is NOT illegal to be in possession of a non-922r compliant rifle. If you did not build it, you have no worries. 922r is for builders or importation of "non-sporting" firearms. Go buy what you want. If what you buy doesn't have all the "evil" accessories you want and you want to add them, then you will have to follow 922r to add those parts because now you are a builder.

Sure, no one has gotten in trouble over 922r yet that I know of, but that doesn't mean people won't be prosecuted in the future. If I had something that would fall under 922r and I just bought it, didn't build it, I'd still want to know it had all the requisite number of parts.

If you decide to get the rifle you are looking at, get it, then you can take the rifle apart, find the parts made in the US (they are marked), and add em up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts