low budget AR build

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by warrioroftheland, Oct 10, 2010.

1. warrioroftheland

warrioroftheland New Member

i am wondering what is the lowest somebody can build an ar for. i want .223/5.56. it needs to go bang everytime and not fall apart on me.

2. BWCustoms

BWCustoms New Member

Deltons are $750 brand new.

3. EmergencyNrse

EmergencyNrse Member

Lots of quality entry-level AR's out there in the 650-750 range.
    Bushmasters, Rock River, Stag, DPMS... eh, I'm not much of an Olympic fan.
    The M&P's are getting cheaper.

I say save just a little more and buy something that will make you happy.
    Daniel Defense, Colt 6920, Armalite.

Let me just say that AR's are a like a wicked mistress.
    You start with something plain. Next you're getting optics.
    Then comes custom triggers, rails and BUIS.
    In the end it's going to be expensive anyhow but you're usually happy as **** to have one.

4. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

i just got my M&P optics ready from gander mountain it was 699(if i took both rebates) there was a 100$ gander mountain rebate and i could choose to take the 5 mags instead of the 100$ rebate from smith so it ended up being 799$ with a total of 6 mags

5. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

I bought a brand new S&W MP-15OR for $599 from CDNN after the S&W cash rebate. I've added Troy BUIS to it as well as a detachable scope. Runs like a champ, no issues whatsoever, very happy with what I got for the money :righton:

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I would recommend this. You would be hard presses to do a quality build for less than $600.

7. warrioroftheland

i have been pricing the m&p's and can only find them running around 1200-1400. do any of you own a Del ton ar?

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

DelTons are decent for about $650-$700.

400 Jewelry and Loan (Dawsonville), Cherokee Gun and Pawn (Canton), Fast Firearms (Lawrenceville), and AR Bunker (Newnan) will all normally have somethng in stock for $650 - $700.

The least expensive M&P in CDNN's latest catalog is $849 [s:3f3lquif]before the $100 rebate from S&W[/s:3f3lquif]. They did have some at $699 [s:3f3lquif]before rebate[/s:3f3lquif] in the catalog before, but they may not be available anymore.

Edited: The $100 rebate from S&W expired last week.

9. juju151

juju151 Member

I've got a few Del-Ton ARs, and they are very nice rifles, and seem to be more accurate than some of my other "name brand" ARs.

Just be sure to get a chrome lined barrel...it's worth the extra $45 bucks.

10. moga

moga New Member

Completely agree with EmergencyNrse. AR prices have dropped dramatically from where they were a year ago. For whatever reason, I'm seeing a lot of RRA in the $800 range.

I'm currently in the process of assembling one to fit my needs and budget. A full rifle at my investment level wouldn't have the quality parts that I'm using in the build.

I personally would not go with a sub-par kit to save a few pennies. With so much supply on the market right now, it just doesn't make much sense.

11. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

You got that right! In the AR world you get what you pay for. [​IMG]

12. dunkel

dunkel New Member

I built an M4 type AR a couple of years ago with Del-Ton kit on Superior Arms lower. IIRC, the total prices, including all shipping, transfer fees, etc was $650, give or take a couple bucks. That was with the chrome lined barrel upgrade. I imagine you could build something similar for less money these days. I'm seeing a lot of lowers for well under $100 at various online sources.

That thing was accurate enough considering I went with the lightweight barrel, and it ate anything I ran through it, including a lot of Russian commercial steel cased stuff.

13. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

There is no need to go online ot get a stripped lower.

You can find them locally for $100. Chris at Semper Fi Arms has Double Star lowers for $99. You won't beat that online after you pay shipping and FFL fees.

14. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

LRB Stripped Lower - $85
    Del-Ton AR-15 Rifle Kit (Lower Parts Kit, Buttstock, Fully Assembled Upper) - $490

Total cost of a Del-Ton AR-15, $575. Works perfectly after breaking it in the first 50 rounds. Never had any failures or problems since then.

15. warrioroftheland

is the build pretty " noob " friendly? mostly why i am looking at doing a low budget build is because well one, i dont have alot of money for the build. two, i want to build my first ar and three it seems like it would be fun to build a rifle.

also ookoshi, would you mind posting a picture of your rifle?

16. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

There are step by step instructions on AR15.com

17. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

[​IMG]

Here's a small pic, I can take a bigger one when I get home from work.

Some words of advice.

The pic shown has an A2 buttstock and the standard A2 carrying handle.

The Del-Ton rifle kit can be customized, and the adjustable M4 buttstock and flat top upper is the same price. If I had to do over again, I'd get those over the A2 standard ones. Your options down the road are much better.

It wasn't hard to put together. There's a video you can download from AR-15.com that is by far the best instructions out there. The trickiest part is some of the springs. Make sure you do the assembly where if a tiny spring goes flying you can find it.

18. moga

moga New Member

I like to install the take down springs and detent on the kitchen counter under the upper cabinets. That area has a lot of light and when, not if, the detent pin/spring is launched, it won't go very far before it strikes the bottom of the cupboard.

You'll need a few low-cost tools to do the job properly. Check out the write-up at ARFCOM. It's literally AR15 building for dummies.

19. warrioroftheland

ookoshi- thats a good looking rifle.

now how does the 4140 Chrome Moly barrel hold up? does that mean its chrome lined.... full nood mode right now.

20. SMC_Nubby

SMC_Nubby Member

I have a RRA Lower w/ a Del-Ton M4 upper and I like it for shooting holes in paper at the range. I wouldn't trust my life w/ it every day as a duty or service weapon. Truth be told, I kinda wish I wasn't so eager to get my M4 right away and would have saved up a couple hundred extra for a Bravo Company Mfg. rifle. BCM component parts are top notch and they have a very good rep for quality and customer service. I was able to piece my M4 together for less than $700 and for that price it is a good gun. $900 would have bought me a much better rifle. Live and learn.

I have learned that ARs are like Harleys - there is always something else you have to have for it.