Louisiana

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by Malum Prohibitum, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

2. Malum Prohibitum

Quote:

In an interview with WWL Radio, Riley said his officers would seize guns from people on the streets if another storm was to hit New Orleans.

“During a circumstance like that, we cannot allow people to walk the street carrying guns…as law enforcement officers we will confiscate the weapon if a person is walking down the street and they may be arrested,†Riley said.

:shakehead:

3. Broadside Bob

Broadside Bob Member

Post Katrina

A (second hand) personal anecdote to add to this heartwarming story. Last fall my wife was struck by a burning desire to help out in New Orleans in some way. She first thought of signing on with the Red Cross as a disaster counselor (she's a certified counselor), but then settled on committing to a one week stint with the U.S. Humane Society to break into abandoned houses to rescue trapped animals, remove those that did not make it, and generally care for the animals they had taken in. A noble cause, but to put it mildly, NONE of this was my idea.

Anyway, to the point. She relates that one day her group of 3 or 4 were out looking for animals and ran across an LEO (I think she said he was on loan from somewhere up north). He asked if they had a gun and expressed rather sharp criticism when they said they did not. He then told them to be very careful, and if they did have a problem, to find a National Guardsman/military, etc., but NOT go to NOPD.

In a post Katrina like situation, I think concealed means concealed (and very well concealed).

BB

4. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Isn't the NRA at least getting a permanent injuntion out of it?

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

It was only a partial fix, that was until the Louisiana emergency powers law was changed.

The LA emergency powers law I believe was similar to GA's in that the Governor can declare an emergancy, but unlike GA, the local chief LEO's each can regulate and control posession during that emergency (New Orleans Mayor and police cheif only have that power to regulate for 5 days after the emergency, they did it anyway and got took to court).

The Consent order prevents Nagin from deciding for himself during an emergency to confiscate firearms until further ordered by the court, but still allows the "applicable authorities" (the local chief LEO's) to regulate firearms during an emergency. (in this case it seems the judge agreed that regulation of firearm possession does not mean a complete ban)

Now that they have changed their emergency powers law to remove the regulation of firearms, there are no longer any "applicable authorities".

By the way, I am getting most of this from the Second Amendment Foundation's website www.saf.org where they were nice enough to post the legal documents.

6. Malum Prohibitum

The New Orleans Police Chief is backing off his statement that in the next natural disaster, he is going to go around confiscating private firearms. His political trial balloon being shot down, the chief has begun doing the political backstroke.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2006 ... shtml?s=ic

7. Malum Prohibitum

New LAW, signed by Gov. Blanco on June 14, 2006, and takes effect immediately, "will prohibit the kind of sweeping firearms seizures from law-abiding citizens that happened in New Orleans in the wake of last year’s devastating Hurricane Katrina."

Link: http://www.saf.org/viewpr-new.asp?id=193

8. Malum Prohibitum

9. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

This article has the judge citing the 2nd Amendment. I didn't realize the 2nd Amendment still existed.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Louisiana is in the 5th Cir. See Emerson.

11. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Oh, yeah. The 5th Cir. exception to the abrogation of the 2nd Amendment. :roll: