Lou Walker Senior Center-DeKalb County

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by GAGunOwner, Jun 9, 2016.

1. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

As far as I know, this is a government building/entity of DeKalb County. Upon entrance, there is a large weapons are not permitted sign (professionally purchased looking sign). I think the sign had an image of a gun. I think another sign is on the other entrance.

They did have a uniformed armed security guard walking around inside of the building.

Does a DeKalb County resident want to contact them concerning this preemption violation?

http://www.co.dekalb.ga.us/lou_walker/

http://www.louwalkercenter.com/

2. HCountyGuy

HCountyGuy Well-Known Member

An armed security guard at a senior center? Well, it is in DeKalb...

3. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

4. Phil1979

I don't live in Dekalb, but I emailed them:

Dear Dekalb Officials,

Are firearms permitted inside the Lou Walker Senior Center carried by those who possess a valid weapons license?

If not, I hope you do realize that Georgia has state preemption with regard to all weapons, including knives.

Even if the center houses or is the place where a "government entity" meets in its official capacity, it is not a crime for a licensed carrier to carry a weapon past a weapons screening point unless it is manned by at least one POST certified officer.

From what I gather, you do not even have screening, merely a guard walking around. That does not fulfill the requirement of state law in order to ban weapons.

Looking forward to your response.

Best regards,

Phillip Evans

5. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

Has someone tested this by carrying into the facility? I think a resident needs to do that, and then be prevented from entering or asked to leave due to being armed, before anyone can decide this is an issue.

6. Circuits

Circuits Member

this!

7. Phil1979

No response from them yet.

8. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Come on Phil, give them more than a Friday to put a policy together and decide a semi-plausible argument to make. Remember the for the children idea won't work in a Senior Center. Unless they think the older folks become children again argument will fly and I think they ain't quite that dumb.

But then again, it is county govt.

Nemo