Lot's of AR's out there...help me choose.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by gruntpain1775, Jan 19, 2011.

1. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

I'm about to buy an AR, looking to get one chambered in .223 (so it will handle that and 5.56). I know what all I'm looking for when it comes to AR's, MY question here is who is a good maker to go after? Got around 1K to spend on it.

2. zephyr57

zephyr57 New Member

3. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

4. ARMT Guy

ARMT Guy Ordinary Average Guy

:righton:

The barrel/chamber on a 5.56 will handle the higher chamber pressure of that round as well as .223, but not so much the other way around.

I don't have any personal experience with Daniel Defense, but I'm sure you've seen the many positive reviews on their rifles here. If I were to consider another AR at this point, I'd probably lean in that direction. I currently own Colts, a Ruger and a SIG AR. Not a single problem from any of them, though they're a bit out of the price range you mentioned. If your budget can handle one of these, I'd recommend them.

5. papadaca

papadaca Member

I would recommend, "bushmaster, Olympic arms these are the 2 that have gotten the best reviews by the Army's marksmenship teams. Dont buy an off brand AR like daniel defense.

also take a look into the new 6.8 remmington AR's. Look up the round on youtube. This is a one shot puts anything down.
    Its the new round the military is moving to. you can buy an extra upper if you want to shoot 5.56.

6. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

This is the one I bought a month ago. For another $50, you can get quad rails. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_901/products_id/69286

This is how she looks now with Magpul furniture, Streamlight TLR3, and a Troy DOA folding rear sight.

[​IMG]

Check out this site for a good explanation of the different AR parts and why you want them to be a certain way. http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?81462-So-you-want-to-buy-an-AR-15-huh. If you just want a range toy, then it doesn't matter what you get. This site does not recommend Bushmaster or Olympic Arms.

7. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Grunt, of all people, I would never have guessed would be asking that question. 8)

8. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

DD is not an "off brand" no more than a Stag is. That's like saying my 20" "Frankngun" is crap because I made it from parts. Nothing could be further from the truth. Your opinion seems to be based on what you read instead of actual decades of usage and experience. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but as a shooter who has been using the platform since the 70's I'm in on this one. Resident experts feel free to chime in.
    This is my 600+yd "off brand" build. 2k in 'parts' not one a Colt, Bushy, or Olympic.
    [​IMG]

9. SaltySamurai

SaltySamurai New Member

The S&W M&P15 has 2 configurations for between $1000 and $1200 that I have yet to see any other company compete with.

Both are 16" 5.56mm adjustable buttstock ARs.

The 15X has standard front post sight, flat-top, quadrail, troy flip-up rear BUIS. - $1049 where I bought mine
    The 15T has extended and free-floated quadrail (instead of front-post sight) and front/back troy flip-up BUIS. - $1199 from various sources

I have yet to see any other AR maker offer quad-rail and BUIS for just over $1000. I bought the X cause it was by-far the cheapest AR from a known maker with a quadrail. If I had more patience, I would have waited for the T because that's just an amazing price for a free-floated extended quadrail AR with front and back BUIS.

Of course, if you don't want all that....Bushmasters and RRA's with standard fore-ends can be had for under $1000.....but if you get a quad-rail and BUIS....I don't see how those parts wouldn't put your cost up to $1000 anyway.

M&P15X's and T's have been the best out-of-the-box deals that I've seen for the past 2 years. And the name Smith & Wesson isn't exactly an unknown maker either.

10. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

The Daniel Defense DDXV EZ has a quad rail with BUIS for $1025 at Bud's.

11. SaltySamurai

SaltySamurai New Member

Huh. That makes 2 then. Although the DD BUIS isn't a flip-up....minor thing which I didn't specify in my referenced quote.

That's a great deal though......good find!

12. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

S&W is a great AR. They now do most of their own builds, they started with Stag doing most of it.

13. xdpacking

xdpacking Member

Another happy S&W M&P15 owner here. After a few 1000 rounds, never any problems.

14. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

Yea, I know it's the other way around. I was suffering from an imported vision displacement syndrome ( I had some drinkie drink last night).

:mrgreen:

Half stirring up the pot, half wanting actual info on good makers.

15. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Bahhh, go back to that airsoft forum you hang out on, HeavyBattlers or whatevah :p
    It took me .... over 10 years out of the military before I wanted to touch another Colt AR. :lol:

16. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

What do the AR aficionados think of the Ruger SR-556?

17. jmorriss

jmorriss Active Member

I am going Spikes upper on stag lower with DD LPK.

18. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

Me too, very happy with my M&P-15OR and Troy BUIS. I feel like I damn near stole the thing for what they were charging last year with the rebate.

19. SaltySamurai

SaltySamurai New Member

I think that's a bit of a piston-driven apple to the direct-impingement orange and a requires its own thread.

But for anyone considering either for their next AR.......I think piston-driven AR's are a great technological step forward, but for the vast majority of American civilian gun-owners who don't live in dirt and sand and aren't fighting a civil war where they're firing countless rounds without the benefit of a cleaning bench and rem oil at home, they're an unnecessary expense.

But that's just my practical opinion.

And everyone knows that 'practical' is neither 'fun' nor 'cool.'

So it boils down to what the buyer's priorities are. Does he/she want practical? Or does he/she want the new hotness?

I'm certainly not one to judge on buying stuff just cause it's the new hotness. But I can't currently justify an extra $300-$500 for an AR just cause it's piston-driven. Then again, I'm not fighting a civil war and living in dirt/sand and firing 1,000's of rounds in training/fighting. So the extra couple hundred bucks isn't worth it for me.

But that's just me.