Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like my GFL was swept up by the walmart maintenance crew yesterday. Even though I live in Cobb now, the quick course of action is to go back to issuing probate (Dekalb) and request a replacement, right? They should be able to stamp a replacement for a five month old license within the hour, yes?

Also, can I use the Utah CCW to carry in Georgia while I'm waiting for the replacement (assuming it won't go easy?)

·
Super Moderator
16,485 Posts
Unfortunately, carry in GA by a GA resident requires a GFL. I wouldn't risk it. Just call in sick until you get the renewal and stay at the compound, bunkered up with a couple of shotguns and 50-100 loaded AR mags. :ninja:

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
lsu_nonleg said:
It looks like my GFL was swept up by the walmart maintenance crew yesterday. Even though I live in Cobb now, the quick course of action is to go back to issuing probate (Dekalb) and request a replacement, right? They should be able to stamp a replacement for a five month old license within the hour, yes?
There is a time limit on getting a replacement for a lost license. Do not tarry.

Loss of any license issued in accordance with this Code section or damage to the license in any manner which shall render it illegible shall be reported to the judge of the probate court of the county in which it was issued within 48 hours of the time the loss or damage becomes known to the license holder. The judge of the probate court shall thereupon issue a replacement for and shall take custody of and destroy a damaged license; and in any case in which a license has been lost, he or she shall issue a cancellation order and notify by telephone and in writing each of the law enforcement agencies whose records were checked before issuance of the original license. The judge shall charge the fee specified in subsection (k) of Code Section 15-9-60 for such services.
Get on it!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, I was painfully aware that the 48 hours would fall in the middle of the weekend. The story is 8 weeks. Sheila said she'd try to "take care of me" and get it done in 4 (they're running a refresher background check :roll:

Even worse... She handed me my entire package from the original application to take to the window three feet away to pay the $8 and I examined the lot of it.
ALL of my GBI paperwork was generated (ie, time and date stamped) less than 48 hours after my original application. And yet it took four + months for them to "get the results back" (ie: send me scurrying for paperwork to resolve an "issue.") :x :x :x

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's not what her department thinks! Any Hammer form letters for this situation available after I give 'em a week or two?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another GCO Success Story!

GCO decided to get involved on my behalf with this issue. The Hammer and the prez (Ed) composed the letter that follows:

Mr. Marsh recently contacted your office about obtaining a replacement firearms license within the time specified by O.C.G.A. § 16-11-129(e). He was charged a fee of $8 and told that it would take “up to eight weeks†to issue the replacement.
O.C.G.A. § 15-9-60(k)(13) authorizes a fee of $5 for issuance of a replacement firearms license, and O.C.G.A. § 16-11-129(e) contemplates immediate issuance of a replacement. “Loss of any license … shall be reported to the judge of the probate court…. The judge of the probate court shall thereupon issue a replacement….†(emphasis added). There is no basis for charging the additional $3, and there is certainly no basis for a delay of two months (which is the time limit prescribed for the regular license, not a replacement). I request that you refund $3 to Mr. Marsh and issue his replacement GFL immediately.
In an effort to ensure this letter is seen and addressed quickly, I am copying your staff attorney, Mark Brandenburg, at [email protected].
The letter was emailed and faxed at about 1030 AM on 1 November.
Within an HOUR, Judge Roush (let's all remember, it's Dekalb county here) had responded to John. According to reports, she apologized profusely, and reiterated that the reason given to me by the front office staff was not legally valid. I received instructions to pick up (or have mailed) my replacement by 1130 same day. DEKALB COUNTY.

I picked up the replacement this AM, and had a 10 second meet n greet with Ms. Jones, who runs the GFL/Marriage License office. She didn't seem too enthused that she even had to speak with me, but was neutral enough. I let her know that I was happy that things were resolved, and that I just wanted to make sure everything worked the way it was supposed to, and I was happy to be able to exercise my right again. :cheers:

Many thanks to this fantastic organization and all the efforts made on behalf of its members! It's especially important to point out that things happen for real people when GCO gets involved.

On another note, while I was waiting, I witnessed one of the clerks vehemently refuse to release a social security number. To the owner of the SSN who was there in person! Maybe it was a planted scenario :)

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
:hardhead:

Its hammer time.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Wow--Behold GCO and GPDO invoking the Majesty of the Law

Given my experience in dealing with gubmints, this is astonishing. Behold the power of GCO and GPDO. And to think that all those other organizations do for my dues is give me a newsletter. :D

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
Re: Wow--Behold GCO and GPDO invoking the Majesty of the Law

boom boom said:
And to think that all those other organizations do for my dues is give me a newsletter. :D
GCO is still working on a news letter . . . :oops:

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,947 Posts
Re: Wow--Behold GCO and GPDO invoking the Majesty of the Law

Malum Prohibitum said:
[quote="boom boom":39k6ituu]And to think that all those other organizations do for my dues is give me a newsletter. :D
GCO is still working on a news letter . . . :oops:[/quote:39k6ituu]

Helping members in need is more important than a newsletter.

I say good job to the Hammer and MP. :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
merlock said:
SigP229 said:
:applause: Awesome! =D>
+1
Merlock, maybe Mr. lsu_nonleg would be a good interview subject for a one paragraph article in the Carry On! newsletter. :wink:

Maybe he'll even let you use that quote:
" . . . things happen for real people when GCO gets involved."

Mr. Lsu_nonleg, faced with the daunting prospect of being without his right to carry for the next two months, . . .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts