Lost GFL Dekalb - Replacement time and Utah CCW

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by lsu_nonleg, Oct 26, 2007.

1. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

It looks like my GFL was swept up by the walmart maintenance crew yesterday. Even though I live in Cobb now, the quick course of action is to go back to issuing probate (Dekalb) and request a replacement, right? They should be able to stamp a replacement for a five month old license within the hour, yes?

Also, can I use the Utah CCW to carry in Georgia while I'm waiting for the replacement (assuming it won't go easy?)

2. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately, carry in GA by a GA resident requires a GFL. I wouldn't risk it. Just call in sick until you get the renewal and stay at the compound, bunkered up with a couple of shotguns and 50-100 loaded AR mags. :ninja:

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

There is a time limit on getting a replacement for a lost license. Do not tarry.

Get on it!

4. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

Yep, I was painfully aware that the 48 hours would fall in the middle of the weekend. The story is 8 weeks. Sheila said she'd try to "take care of me" and get it done in 4 (they're running a refresher background check :roll:

Even worse... She handed me my entire package from the original application to take to the window three feet away to pay the $8 and I examined the lot of it.
    ALL of my GBI paperwork was generated (ie, time and date stamped) less than 48 hours after my original application. And yet it took four + months for them to "get the results back" (ie: send me scurrying for paperwork to resolve an "issue.") :x :x :x

5. Malum Prohibitum

8 weeks for what? They do not run the checks again!

6. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

That's not what her department thinks! Any Hammer form letters for this situation available after I give 'em a week or two?

7. Malum Prohibitum

You have an email.

8. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

You have an email.[/quote:2xv3buyt]

:D

9. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

There should be a very cool update to this today by ~ 1130. :D

10. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

8)

11. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

Another GCO Success Story!

GCO decided to get involved on my behalf with this issue. The Hammer and the prez (Ed) composed the letter that follows:

The letter was emailed and faxed at about 1030 AM on 1 November.
    Within an HOUR, Judge Roush (let's all remember, it's Dekalb county here) had responded to John. According to reports, she apologized profusely, and reiterated that the reason given to me by the front office staff was not legally valid. I received instructions to pick up (or have mailed) my replacement by 1130 same day. DEKALB COUNTY.

I picked up the replacement this AM, and had a 10 second meet n greet with Ms. Jones, who runs the GFL/Marriage License office. She didn't seem too enthused that she even had to speak with me, but was neutral enough. I let her know that I was happy that things were resolved, and that I just wanted to make sure everything worked the way it was supposed to, and I was happy to be able to exercise my right again. :cheers:

Many thanks to this fantastic organization and all the efforts made on behalf of its members! It's especially important to point out that things happen for real people when GCO gets involved.

On another note, while I was waiting, I witnessed one of the clerks vehemently refuse to release a social security number. To the owner of the SSN who was there in person! Maybe it was a planted scenario :)

12. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

13. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

WOW now thats service!

14. ber950

ber950 Active Member

:hardhead:

Its hammer time.

15. boom boom

boom boom Guest

Wow--Behold GCO and GPDO invoking the Majesty of the Law

Given my experience in dealing with gubmints, this is astonishing. Behold the power of GCO and GPDO. And to think that all those other organizations do for my dues is give me a newsletter. :D

16. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

GDPO is a great forum indeed....But the power is in GCO!

17. Malum Prohibitum

Re: Wow--Behold GCO and GPDO invoking the Majesty of the Law

GCO is still working on a news letter . . . :oops:

18. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Re: Wow--Behold GCO and GPDO invoking the Majesty of the Law

GCO is still working on a news letter . . . :oops:[/quote:39k6ituu]

Helping members in need is more important than a newsletter.

I say good job to the Hammer and MP. :cheers:

19. merlock

merlock Active Member

+1

20. Malum Prohibitum

Merlock, maybe Mr. lsu_nonleg would be a good interview subject for a one paragraph article in the Carry On! newsletter. :wink:

Maybe he'll even let you use that quote:
    " . . . things happen for real people when GCO gets involved."

Mr. Lsu_nonleg, faced with the daunting prospect of being without his right to carry for the next two months, . . .