Lost Firearm, What Now? Help w/ Replacement.

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by slacker, Sep 22, 2018.

1. slacker

slacker Member

Lost my CC yesterday in a boating accident, for real. On the Flint river in some shoals/falls, canoe flipped and my IWB holster caught the seat as I was departing the boat. I searched the water, but it was swiftly moving and had some big rocks with deep holes.

I've completed step one, which is cussing and being mad at myself for 24 hours. I know the one of the next steps is picking a new CC (I'm taking suggestions), but I don't know if I'm missing anything else. From my research, it doesn't seem like there is anything to report in GA. Am I missing anything?

CC in question was a Bersa .380 CC that I've had for 10ish years. Well worn from carrying in tough situations. It had been underwater 4 times in the last month, wading rivers. I cleaned it after each time, but the replacement gun will lead the same life.

Thanks

2. Scout706

Scout706 Well-Known Member

All our tragic boating accidents are for real

Trigger87 and TimBob like this.

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I don't think you have a duty to report the gun lost or missing. It would make things easier though just in case somebody finds that gun in the future and uses it for a bad purpose and the feds trace the serial number to the gun dealer and the gun dealer fingers you as the last known buyer. Just saying you lost it in a boating accident is one thing, but having an old copy of the police report that you filed shortly after the loss would be even better.

Of course filing a police report might also help you get the gun back one day if somebody finds it and reported to the authorities, but if I were you I wouldn't even want it back. I'd let the finder keep it if that person wants it, either as a working firearm or just a souvenir of a successful river salvage dive or treasure hunt.

4. gunsmoker

Of course you could tell all of us exactly where you lost it.

Take pictures and maybe use Photoshop or Paintbrush to draw some arrows and circles around the area to search, and some of us might want to search for it. Finders keepers on a free pistol! Call it a GIVEAWAY, except the winner won't be determined using a random number generator !

How deep was the water there?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    TimBob likes this.
  5. slacker

slacker Member

Water wasn't too deep, just flowing hard. Some deep holes and big rocks. I searched for a while, didn't have a magnet.

Somewhere within 500 yds of here:
    32°49'11.1"N 84°24'25.7"W

6. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Best bet for a replacement weapon would be one of the new Colt Cobras. Like everyone knows, but many won't admit, Colt may not be the best, but there ain't none better.

Next best choice is about any metal gun. Avoid plastic ones. I gave those up at age 10.

Nemo

https://colt.com/detail-page/colt-cobra-38spl-2-6rd-sts

7. Harhib

Harhib Active Member

Pretty precise coords there being a surveyor I can find that fairly easily, now who has a boat and scuba equipment.

8. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

If you're going to spend a lot of time on and in the water maybe you should consider something that won't disappear into Davy Jones' Locker! :lol: The Henry AR-7 Survival Rifle floats assembled or broken down.

https://www.ammoland.com/2015/10/henry-ar-7-rifle-review/

9. Harhib

Harhib Active Member

In principle I agree, just kinda hard to get that AR7 in your pocket

10. fitzdawg79

fitzdawg79 Member

I confess that I hadn't heard of an AR-7 rifle before today, but now I really want one!

11. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

+1 I am looking them up right now

fitzdawg79 likes this.
  12. fitzdawg79

fitzdawg79 Member

I may or may not have put one on layaway at Bud's.

13. gunsmoker

I've shot three Charter Arms AR-7 rifles.
    They're prone to jamming, they feel like toys, the stock is HUGE compared to a normal carbine, and the only magazine that fits into the stock is the factory standard 7-round mag. You can get aftermarket magazines that hold 25 rounds, but they won't fit in the butt.

P.S. the rifle doesn't have to be disassembled to float. The stock will float even if the rest of the gun is assembled into shooting configuration.

14. Harhib

Harhib Active Member

Henry now builds the AR7 and reliability should no longer be an issue, no it’s not a pretty firearm but it does serve the purpose it was designed for

15. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

My Charter Arms (35+ years old) never gave me a problem. No jams, no FTF, FTE or anything. All mags I had for it worked well.

Shame I had to sell it get scripts.

Nemo

16. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

17. gunsmoker

I just finished reading several reviews and range reports on the HENRY manufactured AR-7 rifle, all reviews being 2012 or newer (Henry's been producing the gun since 2008, I think). The reviews are all good as to reliability, when factory magazines are used with round-nose 40-grain ammunition (I'd assume 36 grain high velocity ammo would work equally well).

So it looks like Henry really did fix the quality control issues that Charter Arms had for this particular gun.

18. gunsmoker

I'd like to see a version of that gun in a larger caliber, more suitable for self-defense from animals up to the size of wolves or a pack of feral dogs. Maybe .380 acp (the lower chamber pressure of this round, compared to a 9mm or .40, allows for simple blow-back design without a really heavy bolt.

Make the barrel detach from the receiver.
    The barrel's got to be really short. 16.1" -- and I'd suggest making it threaded for suppressor use. (The .380 caliber is normally subsonic with standard 90-grain FMJ bullets anyway-- no special ammo needed to keep it quiet).

Make the whole thing fit into the stock.
    Let it use a single-column 7-round magazine.
    Give it a wide-aperture peep rear sight (adjustable) that could be made of plastic, not metal. Put a colored ring or set of colored dots around the black plastic sight.

Give it a high-visibility front sight.
    And have a Weaver scope base milled into the top of the receiver, for those who want optics (even if that means it can't be put back in the stock with the scope on.)

I think they could do this .380 version of the AR-7 and it would only have to a few millimeters wider, and maybe 8 oz. heavier. The finished gun would still be super-light, under 5 lbs.

And the .380 would hit with about 250 foot/pounds of energy,
    compared to about 130 ft. /lbs from a .22 LR.

19. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

The AR-7 I have has a grooved receiver for mounting a scope.

20. Harhib

Harhib Active Member

Perhaps you could find an AR5 the predecessor of the AR7 it was chambered for the 22 Hornet , quite a bit hotter than a rimfire.