Loooking for advice

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by ken grant, Nov 12, 2016.

1. ken grant

ken grant New Member

I sent a carbine back to a Mfg. for repairs a couple of weeks ago.
    Thursday I got an E-mail from Fed-X with a tracking number and a delivery date for Friday before end of the day.
    At 7PM on Friday I checked the tracking because I had not received it.
    Fed-X showed It had been delivered and signed for at 3:51PM on Friday. I did not get it or sign for it.
    I called Fed-X customer service at that time and reported it. They where no help except to make a report. They did give me a number of a local office to call Saturday morning.
    Called several times before I got someone and again no help. Lady said she would pass it on and someone would contact me shortly.

No one has contacted me so far. It is now 7PM Saturday night.
    Since the carbine is on record as belonging to me and is not under my control and Fed-X doesn't know where it is maybe I should report the problem to my local LEO and also ATF.

Any suggestions welcome

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016
  2. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

I would contact FedEx Monday during regular business hours. The top people do not work past 5pm and never on a weekend. Climb up the chain as high as you can get. Explain exactly what was in the package and the details about it's vanishing. Contact the shipper as well and tell them also. If FedEx can't figure out where the package was left they may advise you contact and report it as a theft.

I have had this sort of thing happen before and within an hour after making a Monday morning complaint a Driver came by delivering my package. It had been opened but safe and complete. Turned out it had been dropped off a few houses down and the people that received it called about the same time I did. This happens more than it should but the drivers are human and when they drop more than a couple of packages things can get mixed up. Chances are someone that lives near you has it. More than likely on your street.

3. ken grant

ken grant New Member

Who ever received the package signed my name according to Fed-X

4. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Then it was a theft. Report it.

5. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

It should still be traceable. GPS location date and time of scan.

6. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

They can also check to see if any other packages were scanned at the same time. If there were then that is the location.

7. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Start by asking your neighbors. Very common mistake.

8. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Somebody at your house (or a neighbor's house? Or somebody at an entirely different address if the delivery driver really Effed-up) signed your name for a gun and didn't tell you about it or try to contact you, even though they obviously have your address?

Sounds like theft to me.

I wonder if the FedEx driver is in on it. Maybe he's got a cousin who's in the Purple Deep gang and has been looking for an assault weapon to use on the next drive-by on the Dough Boys.

9. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Not only did they not tell him they forged his signature. I have signed for packages belonging to someone else but using my name. It's perfectly legal to sign for someone else packages if you are actually accepting the package for them. If you are stealing it it's not. If you forge a signature as the person intended to receive it then that's 2 felonies.

10. johnski

johnski Well-Known Member

Was it Fedex Ground or Express? Ground drivers are sub-contractors that work for Fedex. Many people do not realize that Fedex Ground and Fedex Express are two different companies that do not handle each others' packages. Many of the Ground drivers rely on phone apps to tell yhem where to deliver their packages, instead of actually knowing the routes. This is due to a high turnover rate when the actual sub-contractor owner of the route(s) hires people off the street to deliver for them and they find out it's actual work.

To the driver's defense, if he thought he was at the correct address, he has no way of knowing if the person coming to the door is forging your signatute. The good news is Fedex has started using gps tracking so they should be able to tell exactly where the package was delivered.

Once they find out it was mis-delivered they will tell the driver to go retreive the package on Monday. If the person that signed for it says no or won't come to the door, then yes you'll have to get the police involved, especially since it's a gun.

11. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Firearms can not be shipped on FedEx Ground and MUST be shipped over night. Since the idiot did not know he was stealing a firearm when he forged a signature he would have stolen what ever was in the package. The police need to be involved anyway.

12. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

Firearm manufacturers can ship any way they want to.

13. johnski

Pretty much. They're not supposed to but there's no rule that says you have to be truthfull about what you are shipping.

14. zetor

zetor Gaston beat up John

If they ask what you are shipping, I'm guessing an honest answer is what they want. If they discover their rules were violated, they may not pay out on a claim. If the gun is reported stolen, I'll bet they are going to be made aware of it.

15. gunsmoker

It could be that the person receiving the package, intending to deliver it to the correct address later, only signed the OP's name because that's what the FedEx driver would have expected. It could be explained, although, as you say, it looks bad. It looks like further evidence of criminal intent.

(I mean, why not just tell the Fed Ex driver that he's at the wrong house, or that you'll sign for it, but please make a note that I'm not him, I'm just taking delivery for him?)

16. gunsmoker

Forgery in Georgia requires that the person making or possessing the false writing ACTUALLY have INTENT to DEFRAUD a victim:

http://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2015/title-16/chapter-9/article-1/section-16-9-1/

So, Wegahe, if you hand me your credit card and say "go to Kroger's and get me eggs and milk," I can do that either by signing your name or my own.
    There's no intent to defraud. I intend the store to get paid by the Visa bank people, and I intend that you'll get the bill and pay it later when your statement comes in. And I intend to give you the milk and eggs, EVEN IF I signed your name on the slip at the store.

17. AtlPhilip

This. When i was at UPS (early 90's) I took thousands of firearms. The only requirement was that one of the parties be an FFL.

I think this is a pretty big assumption. If UPS/FedEx/USPS shows up with a package and asks for a signature, and I'm not expecting a package, I sign and place it on the table for whomever was expecting a package. If the rest of the family isn't home, it might sit there for days before it gets noticed as a mistake.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  18. ken grant

ken grant New Member

Fed-X has no customer service that even cares they lost a firearm.
    No one will return my calls . All they will say is "we are sorry about your package"

I reported to the shipper , local LE and will do the same to the BATFE today.

I will never purchase any thing , any where from someone who uses Fed-X for shipping. I have never had problems with UPS and have used them many times.

In the past , I have had 5-6 shipments coming via Fed-X and had problems with 3 of them.

NO MORE FED-X FOR ME !!

19. AtlPhilip

Lost package claims are filed by the shipper. As of Obama's Jan 5 executive order, BATFE notification for lost firearms is the responsibility of the shipper.

Contact your dealer, request a replacement for the lost item, carry on.

20. johnski

Actually, Fedex requires only handguns be shipped express overnight. Long guns can go ground. So was it express or ground?