Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:help: I are a n00b

I'm in Buford, but don't mind driving a little ways to help out a local store etc.. I'm just getting into reloading and for Christmas am gonna get a Lee 4 Hole Turret Press Deluxe Kit. I have everything in my cart on Midway, but it's back ordered and I'm kinda impatient :roll: I don't mind buying the other stuff from Midway, but I'm looking for mainly that in particular. If they have the other accessories such as the Safety Prime etc... Then I will get it from them as well.

Thanks in advance :mrgreen: :righton:

·
******* Engineer
1,838 Posts
1-Depends on what you are reloading for. Pistol, rifle, or both? Calibers? Target practice, hunting, or competition?

2-Depends on where you are willing to drive.

Most of the ones I know are in the NWGA area. My best call in your range from personal experience is Hi Caliber in Holly Springs. Great CS, they have things you need in stock, and the prices are at least average of what you find. I'm sure about other places between there and you, but I just have not tried them personally.

But, If you really want my opinion, I wouldn't start with a Turret press right off. Get a Single Stage, learn the art, and then go from there. Last christmas I got a Lee Anniversary kit, and it has been great for learning. There are so many things I've learned by starting slow with it that I'm sure I wouldn't have picked up by going straight for the turret, some potentially serious, that it's what I recommend.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I might not be an expert, but as someone who started out as a Noob, I might can offer some insight and advice.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Lol... and for rebuttal, I'll say Yes, start with a turret if you're reloading for pistol, as "SA" presses will be too slow for pistol volume. A turret is only doing one op at a time, so it's easy to cycle one case/bullet thru & see how your changes are affecting the output. That's how I started, and other than the tinkering required to get a Lee press to run like buttah, I had no issues.

Also, I'd suggest ordering a 4 hole plate (think that's what it's called) for each set of dies, as it really really sucks to have everything set nice, and then you decide to run another caliber, and you gotta take out those every-so-perfectly set dies...... argh.

David's Gun Room in Norcross might be closer to you, and they have a pretty extensive reloading selection. Not Midway prices, of course.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Editingfx said:
Lol... and for rebuttal, I'll say Yes, start with a turret if you're reloading for pistol, as "SA" presses will be too slow for pistol volume. It's only doing one op at a time, so it's easy to cycle one case/bullet thru & see how your changes are affecting the output.

Also, I'd suggest ordering a 4 hole plate (think that's what it's called) for each set of dies, as it really really sucks to have everything set nice, and then you decide to run another caliber, and you gotta take out those every-so-perfectly set dies...... argh.

David's Gun Room in Norcross might be closer to you, and they have a pretty extensive reloading selection. Not Midway prices, of course.
The nice thing about the Turret is you can take the auto index out and make it "single stage."

Also, I have 2 plates in my cart on Midway and am ready to buy.. I just don't feel like waiting on the press.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Shooters Direct in the Chateau élan area
Bullseye Range in Lawranceville

Both places are other good places for powder and primers. Both are close to Buford

1 - 5 of 5 Posts