Looking for IWB holster for my RIA 1911-A1

Discussion in 'Holsters / Method of Carry' started by Ramblinwreck11, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Ramblinwreck11

Ramblinwreck11 New Member

I'm very new to carrying I just got my GWL back in July and now I'm looking for a good IWB holster for my RIA 1911-A1 commander series. I've done a little bit of research but wanted to get some opinions on where to get a good quality holster. Thanks in advance

2. jmathis84

jmathis84 New Member

Check with Zookeeper . He is one this forum and very good at making exactly what you are looking for. Also check RGrizzle leather and Comptac. That is from what i understand everyone is using. I myself dont carry IWB as it is not comfortable for me

3. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

There's two things to consider in carrying IWB, in my opinion. One is weight distribution, the other is the comfort of the holster (also means "thin-ness"). I have a "Summer Special" knock off holster for my 1911 and it is rather comfortable (see a thread I started about it >>here<<). I also have a Comp-Tac MTAC holster for my Ruger SR9c, which is my daily carry weapon. While the Summer Special holster carried the weight of the 1911 well, for every day use I think I would prefer the better weight distribution that the Comp-Tac MTAC gives. Almost don't know its there once you get it set up right.

Whatever route you go, I would highly suggest going with something that puts leather against your skin, and not plastic/kydex.

4. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

Let's just get this out in the open.....................before you are done trying to find the perfect holster, you will have a drawer full of different holsters. My suggestion is to go to Brownell's website and order a Milt Sparks Summer Special II for a Commander and you will have it in a couple of days. Milt Sparks is considered one of the top gunleather makers. The Summer Special style holster is widely accepted as one of the best designs ever created for IWB. It would be a great first holster, and for whatever reason you don't like it you can easily sell it on Ebay for close to your purchase price.

Carrying IWB is something you have to get use to. It will not feel comfortable off the bat. Your body has to get use to the pressure exerted by the holster on the area of your body. You will be cutting yourself short if you don't have a stiff gun belt made by a quality leather maker. AL from A&G Custom Gunleather in Gainesville, Ga. is a company you should consider purchasing said belt from. JMHO YMMV. Good luck.

5. Cagleicious

Cagleicious New Member

[quote="tmoore912"

Carrying IWB is something you have to get use to. It will not feel comfortable off the bat. Your body has to get use to the pressure exerted by the holster on the area of your body. You will be cutting yourself short if you don't have a stiff gun belt made by a quality leather maker. AL from A&G Custom Gunleather in Gainesville, Ga. is a company you should consider purchasing said belt from. JMHO YMMV. Good luck.[/quote]

:righton: +2 on the A&G Gunleather belt, I've had one for over a year now and it's fantastic..

I've been carrying for over a year and a half (started out with a SCXD 9) but now have a Kimber Pro Carry II, which is commander size. All that being said I carry it IWB in a Crossbreed Supertuck, which I loved with my last pistol too. & for OWB just a simple Serpa CQC, they make a commander size holster, but you have to order it online, just doesn't have all the excess plastic on the bottom.

6. MesaCranker

MesaCranker Active Member

Don't skimp on a holster... that being said, for IWB I have found the MTAC Minotaur to be the most comfortable option for a 1911. I also have a shell for my Glock 23.

7. Ramblinwreck11

Thanks for all the great info I'll be checking all those options out . I might throw some pictures up once I get it

8. SAXD2003

SAXD2003 New Member

for those of you with the Mtac, have yal also tried the crossbreed supertuck? I was sold on the supertuck until hearing so many people raving about the mtac

9. Ramblinwreck11

Ordered me a DeSantis SOF-Tuck holster, got it off MidwayUSA for only $21 bucks, ordered it wed night and it was here on saturday with standard shipping! I aint got the money for a CBST or MTAC right now and plus I figured they'd make a good Christmas present anyways :D

It has adjustable cant and it coneals well in a pair of shorts and a tshirt. Being a student and not carrying it all day I think it'll work very well for putting it on when I need to run to the store, around town, or when I'm out on the weekeds. I'll try to keep y'all updated as it gets broken in. Meanwhile heres a couple pics of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

For a 1911 I prefer a two point attachment, less bobble, shift and creep and keeps it high and tight. Once you find your comfort spot on placement you often forget it's there.