Looking for gun safe recommendations...

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by Wheedle, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Wheedle

Wheedle Member

Looks like we are finally doing the house upgrade in the next couple months. I have about $1000 to spend on a new safe for the new house. I currently have a cheapo Stack-on cabinet that is running over that I plan on keeping for ammo storage. I want to invest in a quality safe in the 30 gun range ( I know a 30 gun safe will not hold 30 rifles ). I currently have 6 long guns and 4 pistols, but plan on continuing to expand the selection. It will also be used for some documents and and heirloom coin collection. It will be in the ground level secured to the slab. I would like a digital keypad with a key backup. I don't want something with chintzy internals and locking mechanisms. The brands and models available are proving a bit overwhelming, so I thought I would ask for personal experiences from a few gun forums. Thanks in advance everyone.

2. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Don't go cheap. I have a Liberty safe and have never regretted the purchase. If you are in the Atlanta area, David's Gun Room in Norcross has a Liberty safe showroom right next door. I personally like the classic rotating tumbler locks because I believe they are more reliable and more secure, but you can usually specify which locking mechanism you want when you order.

tmoore912 likes this.

3. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

Liberty makes a top quality safe. Winchester and Cannon are pretty good; maybe not a Liberty, but good.

Tractor Supply carries a good assortment, and occasionally has them on sale.

Be sure to get one with a few shelves for laptops, documents, passports, jewelry, coins, etc.

Also... If you get one with a place to store handguns inside the door, that will free up shelf space.

4. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

The Liberty Fatboy Jr gets a lot of good reviews online. They do start around $1,300 though.

Biggest deterrent seems to be how easy are they to pry open and do you have the ability to bolt it to the floor. Many thieves can easily get a 500-700 lbs safe out your house and into their truck to cut open later.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  5. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

I got mine from cabelas. It is cabelas brand of the fat boy

6. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

I saw a sturdy-looking safe --with lots of room for a growing gun collection-- at the NRA meeting in Atlanta last April.

Here's a short video featuring it. It's the yellow one, just in case you might not notice it among the crowd....

;)

7. Wheedle

Wheedle Member

Does anyone have any opinion on Steelwater safes?

8. xls177

xls177 Member

I would check these sites out for buying guides
    http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html
    https://www.sturdysafe.com/pages/gimmicks-about-gun-safes
    also check out safe break in videos before you decide.
    Gun Safes doesn't buy as much time as you might think

As many will tell you have layered protection. '
    Position so it can't be attacked with pry bars.
    Consider adding more protection around the sides and top as well as restraint so that it can't be tipped over. They can be tipped even when bolted down with enough force.
    You can do it so that it adds additional fire/ water protection as well.

Good luck

Wheedle likes this.
  9. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

That's gotta be a one-off. Their website doesn't show anything that tall! Of course, it could be the camera angle. :lol:

10. moe mensale

No recommendations on brands, just some things to think about.
    Make sure it will fit through the exterior doorway.
    Make sure the floor will support it.
    Make sure it will fit down hallways.
    Make sure it will fit through interior doorways.
    Make sure the stairs will support it if it's going upstairs.

This may sound common sense but you'd be surprised how many people don't consider these things. My son used to deliver and install for CE Safes in Ft. Lauderdale. I can't tell you how many times he left safes out in garages because the entrances were too small. Or once inside he'd just leave it by the entrance because they couldn't maneuver into place. Or how much **** they took from stupid homeowners who got pissed at them because they wouldn't risk themselves because the homeowner didn't plan it through.

11. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Reminds me of the time my wife bought new bedroom furniture for our master bedroom. some pieces were too large to turn the corner in the hall to fit through the bedroom door. Even if they would have turned they still would not fit through the door. Too tall and too wide...

The solution was to remove the wall containing the door to the master bedroom. Place the furniture in the bedroom and rebuild the wall. If we ever move I will have to take the wall out to get the furniture out of the room and rebuild it again. With 50 years of remodeling experience this is not a real problem for me but for most homeowners it would have been.

12. Mastino177

Mastino177 Member

Second on Liberty and David’s Gun Room...true lifetime warranty and customer service. They truly are airloom type quality. Check out Liberty online for sales and then call David’s about pricing. Oh, delivery is top notch, too...and well worth it. I bought my Lincoln in December and wouldn’t consider another brand. Remember to buy the largest for the space you have...you’ll always find a way to fill it up.

13. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

Do not buy a safe without watching this first.

UtiPossidetis likes this.
  14. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Highly educational. I am in the market for a safe and that taught me a a few things I had no idea to consider.

Nemo

15. cwats04

cwats04 Member

They are pretty good for the price. They are always on "Sale" so don't buy into their sale price to much. They will normally have 5% or 10% coupon codes active to knock the price down a little bit further. Customer service was on point a few years ago. Had a stock issue and gave an additional 5% off.

16. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

17. moe mensale

That's the guy my son worked for.

18. Wheedle

Wheedle Member

I've been looking at Mesa. Seems to have the best bang for buck while having a decent level of steel, 12ga all around and an extra full plate in door.

19. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Thieves ignore the door and cut through the sides when there's access that way.

20. Wheedle

Wheedle Member

It will be anchored to the slab, inside a closet.

Honestly, I'm getting really close to just picking up one of the Cabelas labeled Liberty FatBoy Jr's.