Looking for First Rifle

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by XD9SC, Jan 19, 2011.

1. XD9SC

XD9SC New Member

This will be my first long gun. I have listed some thoughts of mine below.

Looking for thoughts on which rifle to get and if you know of any great deals out there.

Thanks in advance.

Guns I am considering: I am not limited to this list. Please suggest better ones if they fit what I am looking for.
    1. KelTec SU 16c
    2. AK 47/Ak74 Folder
    3. Some AR 15 - Could be long compared to others
    4. .308 Rifle - Would like the large Cal weapon don't know if it is going to fit in the price.

Purpose for the rifle in order of importance:
    1. Bug out Weapon
    2. SHTF Weapon

Calibers I am thinking about:
    -7.62x39
    -7.62x51
    -7.62x54R
    -AK74 round

Most important criteria for me in order of importance:
    1. Price - Some where in the 500 - 700 dollar range
    2. Collapsible stock/Folding Stock - I think I want one that can be concealed
    3. Weight - Light it is better for bugging out
    4. Reliability

2. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

If you could find a used one of these: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct814.aspx
    Arsenal Inc AK 47 Rifle SLR-107F 21 -762x39 Rifle Side Folder

It is a very good AK from Arsenal with a side folding stock.
    Small enough to fold up and put in a large backpack to carry around with you if need be.

3. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Would you rather reach out and touch something in the distance or have closer range and higher round counts?

Forgive me if you are angling for an EBR, but a good bit of your list says scout rifle. The only difficulty there would be stowage. A take-down lever or bolt action perhaps?

4. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

I don't have one but for the purposes you propose an AK is the way to go. I have shot the kel-tec su16 models and they are fairly nice. Piston driven AR type action that is very reasonably priced and reasonably accurate. Still I think AK is the way to go.

Can't go wrong with an AR-15 but will be a bit more spendy than the AK or the SU16.

I do have a DPMS Panther AP4 that is fantastic but is even more spendy for both the gun and the ammo. But if you can afford that and 1000rds or so of surplus 7.62 AND don't mind the extra heft you cannot go wrong with an AR10 style rifle like the Panther.

5. XD9SC

XD9SC New Member

Thanks for the responses so far.

What does EBR stand for?

Carrying the rifle in a backpack I keep thinking is my number 1 priority. I live in Atlanta, my thought process is I can keep it concealed as I get out of town if I need to bug out for what ever reason.

I keep running back into the buffer tube issue on the AR platform. How long is that buffer tube, 6 inchs?

6. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

Evil Black Rifle

7. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

If your number 1 is carrying in a backpack the SU16C all the way.

8. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

I just had a thought. Surprising I know, but if ya wan't 308 and backpack carry perhaps a Kel-Tec RFB is in order.

9. BSCLibertarian

BSCLibertarian I'm kind of a big deal

My vote is for the AK (not taking anything away from the other choices) because....

7.62 x 39 - cheap and plentiful (very important in a shtf situation)
    reasonably accurate out to a reasonable distance :wink:
    magazines - cheap and plentiful (you could keep a couple loaded at home and a couple in the backpack and a couple in the car)
    with folding stock and removing the magazine you should be able to fit it into a good sized back pack
    if it's a real shtf situation the AK will run just about regardless of the conditions (whether you clean it or not, lube it or not etc.)

Would Samuel L. Jackson lie????

NSFW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z2ucmARq-k

did I mention cheap plentiful ammo?

:righton:

10. TecRsq

TecRsq New Member

Just a thought here, if you are looking for something to have when times go bad, might you possibly ponder a relatively portable carbine that shares the same caliber as your primary sidearm.

This is exactly what I did when streamlining calibers, I purchased a Colt 6450 AR in 9mm to share the ammunition with the only semi auto pistols that I own, which happen to be GLOCKS.

The match is a natural one and works very well, you could go the KelTec route if so inclined, you would still not have a reach out and touch caliber but when the defecation hits the rotary oscillator, a matched side arm and carbine will be worth their weight in gold.

Just a route to think about.

11. XD9SC

XD9SC New Member

I would love a RFB. Keltec Website says it is 26'' the same as SU-16 when folded.

I think the cost is going to be to high. I might could spend up to 1000 for a RFB

12. XD9SC

XD9SC New Member

It is a really good thought. I think I do want a battle rifle just in case I need a little more firepower.

13. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

I think if you could get 200 more you could get a RFB for 1200. I have heard of them selling for that price. I am strongly considering one. After a PMR30 and then perhaps a KSG. Kel-Tec has certainly introduced some interesting items in the last couple of years.

14. Hunley

Hunley Active Member

Ruger Mini 14 - You can get a side folding Choate stock, collapsible stock like an AR, or an underfolder. Mags aren't cheap, but ammo is. It's in .223/5.56 and very quick handling. The gas system is self cleaning and based on the Garand action. They run about $500-600, and you can pick one up at the local Wal-Mart.

15. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Any reason to not look at the Sub 2000 matching a pistol caliber (and magazine) you already own? That would be the ultimate in backpack stowaway rifles.

I can't yet justify an EBR but the RFB is the front runner if I were going to. You'll find prices from $1250 up to $2150 or so. It shouldn't be hard to find one for $1250-$1400 if you shop around.

16. elandil

elandil Redneck Engineer

So, just out of courisoity, why is a SKS not on your list?

I mean, you can usually find them in the $300 range, giving you a lot more to spend on ammo and accessories. With a side folding stock, they tend to break down pretty small, and they are a breeze to break down for cleaning. Accuracy is comparable to a AK, and like the AK ammo is cheap and plentiful.

Just something to think about.

17. Quest50

Quest50 Active Member

Not a huge fan of those... A buddy of mine had a mini 30 that could do a "tactical disassembly" if you fired it without the magazine in. The trigger grouping would fall straight out the bottom. It was also kinda particular about what ammunition was put through it. Might have just been one of Ruger's duds, but it really put me off.

18. Quest50

Quest50 Active Member

I'm a little biased on this one, but i sold an AK and kept my Yugo SKS because I liked the SKS so much that I never really used the AK. They're a lot more accurate than AK's, but they don't have the high magazine capacity and are a bit heavier. Some of that weight can be alleviated by removing the bayonet, and if you remove the 10 round internal magazine, you can purchase detachable magazines. I keep mine in the original stock, but I have a tap-crap stock and two 20 round detachable magazines for it that function well. 30 and 40 round detachable magazines are available, but i have no experience with them. I'd imagine they'd function just like the 20 round magazines.

An SKS is an excellent first rifle... I'd know, it was my first. =)

EDIT:
    A forum member is conveniently selling one:
    https://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=55436

19. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Get an AK47, its a must, get an AR as well, these will be popular weapons one day here in America, and you will need to be compliant with however you are around.

Get a Remington 700 in .308 like I have, you will not be disappointed. Just make sure you don't have one with a safety issue. :D

20. vooduchikn

vooduchikn New Member

Couldn't agree more with AK, cheap and easy to get ammo. I own several, as well as lots of ammo. You can buy two for the price of one AR. They are good for MOM (minute of man) and easy to operate. I am a lefty and have no issues with manual of arms with either.

AR should be on your eventual list as well as a R700. If you are budget minded, buy a used one. Don't forget about a reliable repeating shotgun (pump/auto/both).

Pistol/Rifle combos like Keltec are cool, but no thanks in my book...each has its purpose. Pistol rounds are great close in, but at distances, I prefer rifle calibers. Each to his own. Good luck!