Looking for a shotgun class

Discussion in 'Training' started by politenessman, Nov 3, 2010.

1. politenessman

politenessman Active Member

Is there anyone north of Atlanta who offers shotgun classes?
    I'm looking for a home defense or basic tactical class.

2. 87FieroGT

87FieroGT New Member

3. Savvy Jack

Savvy Jack Banned

1. Point in direction of bad guy.
    2. Make sure there is nothing behind bad guy that you do not want to hit. (wifes best vase etc)
    3. Pull trigger
    4. call cops!

Congratulation, you have now graduated!

4. Signal 69

Signal 69 Member

Its a little more to it than that. The man is looking for tactics to go along with it.

5. Signal 69

Signal 69 Member

I can help you with that PM me if interested.

6. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Its a little more to it than that. The man is looking for tactics to go along with it.[/quote:173rc0bt]
    Not so much. Point....shoot! What did I miss?

7. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Not so much. Point....shoot! What did I miss?[/quote:3003bm41]
    Do you think the same thing about pistol and rifle?

8. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Do you think the same thing about pistol and rifle?[/quote:2wgdnf3p]
    No

9. budder

No[/quote:2tthuo6x]
    So what's the difference with shotgun?

10. dan1leg

dan1leg New Member

I took the creekside firing range course a while back. Great 1 day basics for the cost.

DAN

11. batoncolle

batoncolle New Member

+1 for Creekside training. Although I have not taken a shotgun class specifically, I have taken several of the carbine classes, and I highly recommend Joe and company.

12. samman23

samman23 New Member

I remember people raving about Scott's shotgun course. I don't know when he will do another one but it seems worth holding out for if he's got it on his schedule. It would be South of Atlanta.

13. Scott 40s&w

Scott 40s&w Member

I'll be glad to do another shotgun class if we can get a few people interested.

It is easy to miss with a shotgun; especially inside a house. I'll be glad to show you.

The guy that was the instructor at SSGC left and they don't run very many of the classes advertised on the web site.

14. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Not going to evade your question, but keep in mind this is just an opinion. Opinions are like "A-holes". We all have one.

Many handgun shooters, and most shotgun shooters point. Sight acquisition comes much later, and with much more training. Confronting a home invader is much more difficult than leading a quail. I'd dare say no rail or rear sight acquisition is ever attained in a confrontation, even with LEOs. The homeowner points (as an extension of his index finger) sighting over the tip of the barrel. It's as simple as that. Don't care whether I hit 'em high or low, just hit 'em!

In the time that a "trained shotgun shooter" fires a shot, "pointers" can get three shots downrange. Many folks may differ. To each his/her own.

15. budder

Does this mean you think a shotgun class is only about slow, aimed fire?

16. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

"Slower"?....Yes.

17. GooberTim

GooberTim New Member

I'll take it again, for sure. I have a butt-stock that fits me better now and I'm anxious to see how much improvement I realize with it.

Scott also had us shooting them after dark - and out past 100 yards in daylight.

18. Signal 69

Signal 69 Member

Manipulations are different with a standard shotgun pump or automatic type when it comes to feeding etc. more difficult than a pistol or rifle. Anyone can point and shoot and it has worked for a lot of people but learning how to fight with one technique and tactics. I get students who will have good fundamentals but very poor tactics and technique. Weapons handling is very important most do not get that when grand dad teaches them to shoot. My experince for students who have to learn weapons handling but are dead eye shots.

19. Scott 40s&w

Scott 40s&w Member

The next shotgun class is Jan 22nd. from 0900-1700 cost is $150
    You will need 10 slugs 10 "00" buck and 200 birdshot. Don't worry about being sore. I will show you how to prevent it. You will need a sling for the shotgun and a handheld light. Bring your pistol and 100 rounds for transition drills.

20. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

+1 for Creekside when they have it. It was a more advanced class than I was interested in at the time though. Good basics all the way up through first responder active shooter scenarios.

I also learned that some of the reduced recoil 00 buck loads (8 pellets vs 9) have some really tight patterns and that some economy 00 buck loads can really spread out.

Most of my wear and tear in the class was on my arms from holding ready positions and not due to recoil.