Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone north of Atlanta who offers shotgun classes?
I'm looking for a home defense or basic tactical class.

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
1. Point in direction of bad guy.
2. Make sure there is nothing behind bad guy that you do not want to hit. (wifes best vase etc)
3. Pull trigger
4. call cops!

Congratulation, you have now graduated!

·
Registered
945 Posts
Savvy Jack said:
1. Point in direction of bad guy.
2. Make sure there is nothing behind bad guy that you do not want to hit. (wifes best vase etc)
3. Pull trigger
4. call cops!

Its a little more to it than that. The man is looking for tactics to go along with it.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Signal 69 said:
[quote="Savvy Jack":173rc0bt]1. Point in direction of bad guy.
3. Pull trigger
4. call cops!

Its a little more to it than that. The man is looking for tactics to go along with it.[/quote:173rc0bt]
Not so much. Point....shoot! What did I miss?

·
16,485 Posts
CountryGun said:
Signal 69 said:
[quote="Savvy Jack":3003bm41]1. Point in direction of bad guy.
3. Pull trigger
4. call cops!

Its a little more to it than that. The man is looking for tactics to go along with it.
Not so much. Point....shoot! What did I miss?[/quote:3003bm41]
Do you think the same thing about pistol and rifle?

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
budder said:
CountryGun said:
Signal 69 said:
[quote="Savvy Jack":2wgdnf3p]1. Point in direction of bad guy.
3. Pull trigger
4. call cops!

Do you think the same thing about pistol and rifle?[/quote:2wgdnf3p]
No

·
16,485 Posts
CountryGun said:
budder said:
CountryGun said:
Signal 69 said:
[quote="Savvy Jack":2tthuo6x]1. Point in direction of bad guy.
3. Pull trigger
4. call cops!

Do you think the same thing about pistol and rifle?
No[/quote:2tthuo6x]
So what's the difference with shotgun?

·
Registered
100 Posts
politenessman said:
Is there anyone north of Atlanta who offers shotgun classes?
I'm looking for a home defense or basic tactical class.
I took the creekside firing range course a while back. Great 1 day basics for the cost.

DAN

·
Registered
216 Posts
dan1leg said:
I took the creekside firing range course a while back. Great 1 day basics for the cost.

DAN
+1 for Creekside training. Although I have not taken a shotgun class specifically, I have taken several of the carbine classes, and I highly recommend Joe and company.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I remember people raving about Scott's shotgun course. I don't know when he will do another one but it seems worth holding out for if he's got it on his schedule. It would be South of Atlanta.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'll be glad to do another shotgun class if we can get a few people interested.

It is easy to miss with a shotgun; especially inside a house. I'll be glad to show you.

The guy that was the instructor at SSGC left and they don't run very many of the classes advertised on the web site.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
budder said:
Not going to evade your question, but keep in mind this is just an opinion. Opinions are like "A-holes". We all have one.

Many handgun shooters, and most shotgun shooters point. Sight acquisition comes much later, and with much more training. Confronting a home invader is much more difficult than leading a quail. I'd dare say no rail or rear sight acquisition is ever attained in a confrontation, even with LEOs. The homeowner points (as an extension of his index finger) sighting over the tip of the barrel. It's as simple as that. Don't care whether I hit 'em high or low, just hit 'em!

In the time that a "trained shotgun shooter" fires a shot, "pointers" can get three shots downrange. Many folks may differ. To each his/her own.

·
16,485 Posts
CountryGun said:
budder said:
Not going to evade your question, but keep in mind this is just an opinion. Opinions are like "A-holes". We all have one.

Many handgun shooters, and most shotgun shooters point. Sight acquisition comes much later, and with much more training. Confronting a home invader is much more difficult than leading a quail. I'd dare say no rail or rear sight acquisition is ever attained in a confrontation, even with LEOs. The homeowner points (as an extension of his index finger) sighting over the tip of the barrel. It's as simple as that. Don't care whether I hit 'em high or low, just hit 'em!

In the time that a "trained shotgun shooter" fires a shot, "pointers" can get three shots downrange. Many folks may differ. To each his/her own.
Does this mean you think a shotgun class is only about slow, aimed fire?

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
budder said:
CountryGun said:
budder said:

"Slower"?....Yes.

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Scott 40s&w said:
I'll be glad to do another shotgun class if we can get a few people interested.

It is easy to miss with a shotgun; especially inside a house. I'll be glad to show you.

The guy that was the instructor at SSGC left and they don't run very many of the classes advertised on the web site.
I'll take it again, for sure. I have a butt-stock that fits me better now and I'm anxious to see how much improvement I realize with it.

Scott also had us shooting them after dark - and out past 100 yards in daylight.

·
Registered
945 Posts
budder said:
CountryGun said:
budder said:

Manipulations are different with a standard shotgun pump or automatic type when it comes to feeding etc. more difficult than a pistol or rifle. Anyone can point and shoot and it has worked for a lot of people but learning how to fight with one technique and tactics. I get students who will have good fundamentals but very poor tactics and technique. Weapons handling is very important most do not get that when grand dad teaches them to shoot. My experince for students who have to learn weapons handling but are dead eye shots.

·
Registered
693 Posts
The next shotgun class is Jan 22nd. from 0900-1700 cost is $150
You will need 10 slugs 10 "00" buck and 200 birdshot. Don't worry about being sore. I will show you how to prevent it. You will need a sling for the shotgun and a handheld light. Bring your pistol and 100 rounds for transition drills.

·
Registered
8,491 Posts
+1 for Creekside when they have it. It was a more advanced class than I was interested in at the time though. Good basics all the way up through first responder active shooter scenarios.

I also learned that some of the reduced recoil 00 buck loads (8 pellets vs 9) have some really tight patterns and that some economy 00 buck loads can really spread out.

Most of my wear and tear in the class was on my arms from holding ready positions and not due to recoil.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts