Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Looking for a good firearms related book...

410 views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Xiclotl 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a good firearms or 2a or war or zombie etc etc.. a quess a good guy book. I wanting a novel style book to read while I'm waiting on my GF to get off work (2 hours after I get off) because we carpool. Fact fiction biography etc don't matter just looking for a good read. Lets hear what u got!

O and I'm looking at books a million in Canton but could go to Barnes and Nobel

#2 ·
Have you looked on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1816&hilit=what+reading+you
I enjoyed "Our Southern Highlanders" by Horace Kephart, it's has some gun stuff in it , but is the true story of Horace exploring the Appalachians at the turn of the century. I bet it's hard to find. I have a second printing. It's a guy book.

I also liked "Into Thin Air", by Jon Krakauer, a survivor of Mt. Everest's worst disaster, recounts the deadly expedition in this Outside Magazine article and book.

And rated the best true adventure book " The Worst Journey in the World "
by Apsley Cherry-Garrard, a survivor, is a memoir of the 1910-1913 British Antarctic Expedition led by Robert Falcon Scott.

#3 ·
Have you tried "the Book"
Unintended Consequenses by John Ross?

#4 ·
http://www.enemiesforeignanddomestic.com/

Get all three books, read them in order as they are one long saga.

Here's some of what you get:

• ATF gone bad
    False flag ops
    Sweeping loss of 2A
    Good guys fight back
    USA breaks up into pieces
    Foreign troops called in to murder Americans
    Good guys fight back
    MUCH MUCH more

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:

Matthew Bracken was born in Baltimore, Maryland in 1957 and graduated from the University of Virginia in 1979 with a degree in Russian Studies. He was commissioned in the US Navy through the NROTC program at UVA, and then graduated from Basic Underwater Demolition/SEAL training class 105 in Coronado California. He served on east coast UDT and SEAL teams, taking a Naval Special Warfare detachment to Beirut in 1983.

Mr. Bracken left active duty at the end of 1983 after completing his obligated military service, but he remained in an active reserve status through the remainder of the 1980s. Since then he has lived in Florida, Virginia, South Carolina, Guam and California. In 1993 Mr. Bracken finished building a 48 foot steel sailing cutter of his own design, on which he has done extensive ocean cruising, including a solo voyage 9,000 miles from Panama to Guam and two Panama Canal transits.

#5 ·
How about a book about an African safari?
They usually have a lot of information about guns and how they are used for hunting over there.
When I was a kid, I read several books by Peter Hathaway Capstick.

Also when I was young, I read several pulp fiction books by an author whose pen name was Don Pendleton (I think?) and they were called "The Executioner" series. It was about some CIA type good guy named "Mack Bolan" who had amazing gun and hand-to-hand skills. Think of these books as a cross between a James Bond spy thriller and Tom Clancey novel, but with enough gunplay to satisfy a Chuck Norris fan.
The guns involved were described in great detail, even foreign military weapons that would not be familar to American civlian shooters. As far as I know the guns and ammo were accurately portrayed, although of course the main character's skill in using them borders on the incredible.

#6 ·
Ahh yes, the "executioner series", still in print at volume 500 something. Mac Bolan. an Army green beret, Vietnam veteran, given a compasionate discharge after the Mafia killed his whole family except his brother. Besides the exotic weapons his normal carry pieces were a silenced 9mm Beretta Brigader (whisper), and a .44 automag (big Thunder). Declares war on the mafia.

#7 ·
Atlas Shrugged.

what? Dagny uses a gun at the end, when she goes to rescue John...

#8 ·
#10 ·
If you like to read......while you wait...Look up Lee Child's "Jack Reacher" Novels. The first one in the series is called "The Killing Floor". After you finished that, you will be hooked. I am waiting for the newest one to be released October 19th. Great read!

#11 ·
A short book (136pgs) to read on guns/history is Noel Perrin's "Giving Up the Gun: Japan's Reversion to the Sword, 1543-1879". I used this book for a presentation for a class on Chinese/Japanese history. The book details the first arrival of firearms to Japan and how the Samurai class took to them only to later abandon the use of firearms after a few hundred years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.