looking for a compact .45

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by luke0927, Feb 6, 2007.

1. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

also thought about the glock 10mm but i think the extra cost of ammo is leaning away from me.....i went and held a kimber and SIG loved them both. Also thought about a glock i did not get to hold on however....also there is place that is close to me that will let me rent and shoot that way i can try models out before buying.....looking for a more compact model....which ones do you think i should take a look at.

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Glock 30 or Glock 36 or USP-C 45

I am not a fan of SIGs. They don't fit my hand right, but that's just me.

Some people have reoccurring problems with their Kimbers, while other never have so much as a hiccup.

Make sure you try a gun before you buy. You don't want to have second thoughts after you throw down $500+

**shameless plug**
    Ever thought of the .40 round? Best of both worlds.
    http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/vie ... php?t=1819

3. Molon Labe

Molon Labe New Member

I have a para warthog. 3 inch barrel, double stack (10 +1), SA. It's not too bad to control for such a small gun. http://www.parahawg.com/

4. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

Thank i already have a .40 just looking for something differnt also why i thought of hte 10mm Glock 29...ive never got to hold a Glock....the sportsmans lodge in Oakwood has a range and you can shoot their guns there.....im def going to shoot before i buy

5. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I routinely carry my Kimber Ultra CDP. I find it pretty easy to conceal... much more so in the winter of course. In the summer it's a bit more obvious, but frankly I don't care.

I will testify to the fact that Kimbers, in MY experience, are finnicky. When it runs, it runs great. Recently it seems to be having feeding issues and I'm not going to mess with tuning it myself. It's going back to the shop if it has one more FTF on a hollowpoint. Up to just recently, it has been a pleasure to carry and shoot.

I am also looking for another compact .45 to potentially replace the Kimber. Actually, I am using that as justification... I'm not getting rid of the Kimber :D I played with the Glocks last weekend. All are too clunky. I handled the compact 10mm, compact .45, sub-compact .45. I think that when you handle one, you'll see what I mean. They are very 'thick'. I also messed with an XD-45... very small model, I think it was actually a sub-compact. Again, too flimsy for me. I'm sure it's fine, but I just don't like it. Springield Champion I think? I liked that one too, but heavier than my Kimber.

I'm gonna go look at more this weekend, hopefully. I sure like my Kimber though. It's amazing but I can shoot better with that little pistol than with my gf's issued Beretta 92... out to 30 feet! It's crazy accurate. Even left handed I can keep them in the head out to a pretty reasonable distance.

6. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

when i looked at the SIG and Kimber this weekend they didn't have any glocks at the time but he said basically the same thing...he said i have smaller hands and it jsut doesnt fit me right....i geuss he was refering to the thickness of the grip.

thoughts on SIG?

7. sgtdevildog

sgtdevildog New Member

I have a Brown Executive Carry that conceals pretty well, is extremely accurate and a joy to shoot. The Dan Wesson CBOB is of similar size and design. Lately I've wanted to take a look at the new Detonics Combatmaster but haven't found any lately to look/hold before I commit. Supposedly Oakwood Sportsman's Lodge is supposed to get some in.

8. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Taurus PT145 Millenuim Pro holds 10+1 rounds of .45 in a very compact package.

[​IMG]

9. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

What to get????

I would recomend a 1911 plaform because it fits just about everybodies hand.
    Now, before I get flamed for not recomending the standard tuperware brand of firearm I am a 1911aholic, yes I admit all I have in my safe of semi-auto's is about 18 1911's.

I will try to post some pictures of what I carry on a regular basis, so if I can't get the pictures I will tell you I carry:
    Kimber Ultra II, Kimber CDP, Para LDA 645, and a Para warthog. And during hunting season or anytime in the woods it's my Kimber TLE/RL II.
    Ok so I can't get the images on this post so you will have to take my word for it.
    Take care,

10. Macktee

Macktee New Member

If you can join us at Bulls Eye in Cumming on Sunday, they rent guns. You might give them a call and see if they have any compact .45s in their rental fleet. The number is 678-965-5504.

Could be you'll have a fun afternoon and find a pistol you just can't live without.... Not even for one more day!

11. rajl

rajl New Member

My PT-145 is in the shop, but I recommend it. More rounds than I've seen in any other package. Second strike capable. VERY compact.

For an even more compact package, there's the PT-745 with a single stack magazine. It's the same length and height, but slightly thinner.

I will warn you that you need to practice a bit with the pistol. It's very accurate, but small and light, so it doesn't soak up a lot of recoil.

12. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

Bulls eye is in cumming? i thought it was down in Loganville etc..... if its in cumming i might can swing by just depends on the time.

13. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Yup. It's in Cumming. We be planning to meet about one in the afternoon. Here's how to find the place according to Wiley...

Bulls Eye Marksman Gun Club
    6190 Parkway North Drive
    Cumming, GA 30040
    E-mail info@bullseyemarksman.com
    Phone 678-965-5504

Directions: From Cumming take Ga 400 south to exit 13, (Bethelview road) turn right on Bethelview and go about 1 mile. Parkway North drive is on your left, turn and go the very end of the road we are the last building on the left.

Directions: From Atlanta take GA 400 North to exit 13 (GA Hwy 141), turn left at end of ramp, GA Hwy 141 becomes Bethelview Road. Take Bethelview and go about 1 mile. Parkway North drive is on your left, turn and go the very end of the road we are the last building on the left.

HOURS OF OPERATION
    NOW OPEN 7 DAYS A WEEK!
    Monday Through Friday 11:00 AM to 9:00 PM
    Saturday 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM
    Sunday 1:00 PM to 6:00 PM

Parkway North is on the left at the bottom of a slight hill just past the Waffle House and Dollar Store. The range is waaaaaaay-to-hell at the end of the road!

Hope you can make it.

14. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

[quote="MackteeParkway North is on the left at the bottom of a slight hill just past the Waffle House and Dollar Store. The range is waaaaaaay-to-hell at the end of the road!

Hope you can make it.
    [/quote]

When you get off of 400 and pass Hwy9, Parkway North is the 1st street on the left. You will see a self storage place and a car wash on the right.

15. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

What are the requirements just bring hearing/eye protection? I havn't shot my pistol in a while ill try and make it.

16. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

You can bring your own eyes/ears or you can rent some that they have there.

17. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

Sorry guys not going to see you there today....im ripping up carpet and doing
    work around the house getting ready for the baby......

18. johnpeace

johnpeace New Member

You carry a gun that you know to be at least somewhat unreliable?! :shock:

I second the Glock 30. It's small, easily concealable, extremely accurate, ultra-reliable and holds 10+1 of .45ACP. It's a terrific carry gun.

19. MIchael

MIchael New Member

I recently purchased the Springfield Micro Combat. I enjoy that little gun. Carries well, shoots well, and it was fairly inexpensive.

20. Foul

Foul New Member

How does that fit in your hand? Comfortable?

I'm thinking of getting one as long as my pinky doesn't hang off the bottom like a fruity Brit drinking tea.