looking at an lcp

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by hwill, Jan 23, 2011.

1. hwill

hwill New Member

I am looking at getting an lcp to go with my other firearms. Does anyone here have any thing to say about them good or bad.

2. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Great, after a few trip back to Ruger. (I had an early one subject to recall.) Light, and unobtrusive.

[​IMG]

3. SW_Sigma

SW_Sigma New Member

My wife had an lcp i wound up selling on this forum, i thought it was great for what it was, so small and light, great BUG...but the wife absolutely hated the trigger, its very long and deliberate, tough to keep it accurate if u dont train with it enough, and the sights definitely leave something to be desired, actually they are non existant..

Anyway, for what its intended for, i thought it was great, i say go for it.

4. robfromga

robfromga New Member

I've got one with 25 rounds through it for trade if that interests you.

5. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

I upgraded from a first gen Keltec P3AT to a satin chrome LCP. I really like the LCP as a #3 UDC on-duty backup, and an off-duty carry weapon when circumstances don't allow anything larger. Mine was manufactured last year, and has been extremely reliable for me. Though I would never plan to use it at ranges more than 3 - 7 yards, I have to qualify with it out to 15 yards twice a year, and can hit center mass with it out to 25 yards easily, even with the minimal sights and long trigger.

It's not my primary choice weapon, but it's a great little SHTF backup UDC gun, especially for the price. The satin chrome makes it much more corrosion resistant, especially in the hot weather. Keep it well oiled and clean; very reliable that way!

6. krmbigmac

krmbigmac Active Member

7. hwill

hwill New Member

Thanks for the input. Right now I think my mind is made up and when I get the funds I will get one. How do y'all usually cary one pocket holster or another method.

8. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

i carried mine........ straight to the pawn shop.

9. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

I carry it support side in a DeSantis SuperFly pocket holster. I have tried the DeSantis Nemesis, but I moved up to the SuperFly because of the super-tacky outer material that really stays put in my pocket on the draw.

10. ARMT Guy

ARMT Guy Ordinary Average Guy

Fired one my friend had. Minimal sights which are molded into the slide and a horribly long trigger. My friend got rid of it and now carries a SIG 238.. couldn't be happier.

I went with a Kahr P380 and other than installing a set of XD Big Dot night sights, all I've done with this gun is practice with it. I carry it in a DeSantis SuperFly pocket holster.

11. LordSephiroth

LordSephiroth New Member

I have one and I really enjoy it, I got to where I liked shooting it more than my full size guns sometimes :) For the money, I think it's a great pocket gun and I carry it frequently. There are better choices out there, but I found them too heavy, too big, or too expensive for what they are.

There are two things you should know before getting one. The first, the slide doesn't lock back when the last round is out. This surprised me as I'd never seen a semi-auto not do that before. The second, be sure you lubricate it well. It will jam if the slide and barrel isn't lubed well. I took Ruger's instructions and went light on lube for a long time and had regular jams, but when I become a little more generous with the lube, it worked flawlessly.

All that said, I still like my J-frame better and that's what I regularly carry around.

12. YZ#58

YZ#58 Member

I really like my LCP as well. I carry it in a pocket holster, so it is super easy to conceal. I have gotten fairly accurate with it as well. I can shoot 3 - 4 inch groups at 10 yds with it. It has taken me probably 350 rounds fired thru it to be able to do that though. Groups were pretty big when I first got it. I am used to it now, so I can shoot it more comfortably.

13. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Minimal sights are because of the nature of the BUG/pocket gun. Larger sights would make it problematic for draw from deep concealment. No worries there. I simply painted the single forward 'nub' white with testors... Problem solved. It is a short range gun, and not a competition model... It's meant for close in defense. I cna get 4" groups at 10 yards if I really try.

That horribly long trigger is THE safety! There are no safety levers, latches or buttons.... You put a gun like this in your pocket and you'd better HOPE it has a long pulling trigger! No Plaxicoing for me! Besides, the trigger is something that you can learn to deal with, once you get over that flinching from the angry little cricket and your carry ammo!

14. ARMT Guy

ARMT Guy Ordinary Average Guy

:wink:

15. Guest

Guest Guest

I have an LCP and carry it all the time. I mostly carry it IWB kydex, and sometimes back pocket carry in a wallet holster. You have to stage the trigger for accuracy during controlled fire (quite accurate with the CT laser.) I think it's easy to shoot rapid fire too at anything under 15 yds. For it's intended purpose it's a point and shoot gun anyway. It's light/small and mine is extremely reliable (600 rds.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

v/r
    Sarge

16. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I don't have the Ruger, but I have the Kel-Tec that's similar size and weight.
    All I can say is that you will like the size and weight and ease if carrying it concealed.
    And my gun IS difficult to shoot "paper targets" with at the range, thanks to a very long and rather heavy trigger and tiny sights.
    But if your goal is to get a group the size of a man's chest at typical self-defense distances of about 15 feet (5 yards), the gun will do that. You can do that by pointing without even using the sights after some practice.

17. jabara572

jabara572 New Member

There was just a long thread about this like a month ago...........

I thought I was going to use it a lot, but when i can just stick a micro 9mm in my pocket instead just as comfortably, .380 seems like a dumb choice.

Its great as a novelty, or maybe if I needed to carry super undetected secret squirrel ninja style (which is never). Regardless of my issues I had with it (there are many), I find its just an excuse to not carry something larger and more effective. Theres a whole list of guns id rather pull out of my pocket than an LCP if i ever needed it.

18. LordSephiroth

LordSephiroth New Member

Out of curiosity, what 9mm would you recommend that's roughly the size of the LCP?

I've heard some folks say this, but all of the "pocket" 9mms seem substantially larger than something I'd want in my pocket and only hold 6 rounds. At that point, I'd just rather have a revolver that holds 6 rounds that can barely fit in my pocket. Having not been exposed to many of the pocket 9's, I'm really curious to see what you (and others) recommend that is roughly the same size and practical for pocket carry.

19. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Here is a great chart: http://www.mouseguns.com/PocketAutoComparison.pdf

20. jabara572

jabara572 New Member

rohrbaugh r9.

or for real life people

PF9, everyday. in my pocket. Fits jeans, cargo pants, shorts, slacks... jacket pockets, back pockets, front pockets, back pockets...