LOOK HERE ! SSN Required?

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by Malum Prohibitum, May 6, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Please post on this thread only if your county does not require a social security number in order to process your firearms license application. Please list the county.

I need to know whether there are counties currently not requiring social security disclosure.

So far, jwd posted that Carroll County did not require it several years ago, but I have yet to confirm this.

2. wa4phy

wa4phy New Member

As of April 18th when I applied, no SSN was asked for or required. The only document I showed was my GA drivers license, but alas, that number is also my SSN, but I did not reveal that fact, nor was I asked.

Columbia County

3. Malum Prohibitum

Thanks. I sent you a PM regarding obtaining a blank form, if possible.

To all the 8 score or thereabouts users of this forum and their friends, families, and whoever else might be lurking -

I need some assistance. My county requires the SSN to be disclosed. I cannot possibly visit all 159 counties to determine whether the social security number is required and then obtain a copy of the form as evidence. If I could get one member here to check each county Probate Court and obtain a copy of the application form if the county does not require disclosure of the social security number, it would be of immense assistance to me.

4. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I do not recall Putnam or Barrow requiring it.

5. wa4phy

wa4phy New Member

I went to the probate office this morning and tried to acquire a copy of the application, but they would not let me have one, stating it had to be filled out in that office. I then asked if the SSN was required, and she said yes. I did not remember it being asked for, but my memory is not good for things like that, so I assume I provided it. Sorry for the previous incorrect post. Columbia County does require it.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Odd. The lady in my court let me take one, but it does require the SSN.

7. Malum Prohibitum

\

Can anybody near Putnam or Barrow counties get a copy?

8. Malum Prohibitum

9. Malum Prohibitum

By the way, I got your email, and I just wanted to take the time to thank you for taking the trouble to go to the Probate Court. Even though it turned out that the form does require an SSN, I just wanted to express my appreciation for the time and effort you expended to visit the court for this purpose. I know almost all of us have jobs and families and other things competing for our time . . .

10. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I got a new app process for Putnam County over the weekend and they required it.

11. Malum Prohibitum

Hmmm . . . :sly: so, now we are down to just two counties:

(1) Barrow and
    (2) Carroll

as potentially not requiring ssn?

12. tony218

tony218 New Member

the clayton county form had a spacfor ssn
    it had an * beside it .
    as i looked at the top of the page
    * means optional so i didn't fill it
    in then she told me it was required.
    (see my post in CLAYTON COUNTY)
    sorry malum i don't how to link it

13. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

Reporting in from Carroll County...

Stopped by the probate court today to inquire about the application process. I asked for a copy of the application and was denied. But the clerk agreed to let me see the application. The application was a made up form. I asked if this was the standard application form, The clerk replied no, that is just used to get the information, then the real application is filled out on the computer using the information provided on the fake, made up application. I asked where could I get the real form and the clerk replied that it is in the employee intranet of the DPS website and that they used to have the form on gaprobate.org.

The made up application had a space for the SS# and I, in turn asked if it was required information. The clerk replied yes it was. I then said that to my recollection there was no requirement in the GA code to provide a SS# on the firearm app and that also Federal law prohibits asking for that information. The clerk replied that she understood my concern, however they cannot accept an application without SS# because it is used to help facilitate the background check. So on that note, I thanked her for her time and left.

So there you have it. Carroll County uses a made up application for which in turn is used to fill out the information (presumably online) on the DPS provided form on the computer and a SS# is required in order to complete the application for the background check.

14. Malum Prohibitum

Hmmmm . . .

Perhaps Barrow? :D

15. Malum Prohibitum

Well, the information at the gaprobate.org site does not mention bringing your social security card.

What to Bring: Georgia driver's license, Georgia State ID card or voter registration card with current address. $15-23 depending on court, Cash/All Applicants. $24.00 Money Order/first time applicants only. A self addressed, stamped envelope. Foreign nationals must have INS resident card. If you are a naturalized US citizen, you should bring your naturalization papers.

How Long: adequate time to complete application

Receipt of License: Up to 60 days from application.

How do you like that last line?
    :lol:

16. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

MP, have you called Barrow County and asked them if they require an SSN?

17. Malum Prohibitum

For what it is worth, she said, "used to" because the form is no longer on the web site.

18. Malum Prohibitum

Nope. I have barely had time to check in here. Deadline tomorrow and wife wanting to know when I am coming home. :p

I will not be able to do any such thing until at least Thursday . . .

19. Malum Prohibitum

Link: http://www.georgiacourts.org/aoc/public ... july05.pdf

Firearms license applications have been changed to comply with federal requirements, as well as state requirements. The license application is now much longer and more involved. The process of applying for a license will now take significantly more time for both the applicant and the probate court.

A Message from the President, The Gavel, July 2005.

20. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

From the same document, is a note that there is a new firearms form, which was to be provided to the courts on a CD, and a contact person at the DPS (Ms. Terry Long) for suggestions on changing the form. I wouldn't be surprised if Ms. Long would be able to provide, either informally or via an open records request, copies of current and previous version of the form, and when they were in use.