Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Do you think the trio will be convicted?

• Yes

• No

• Partial

• Mcmichaels only

561 - 580 of 595 Posts

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,408 Posts
They should not. But if you read the article . . ..

Nemo

from link above

Jury candidates who visit the Glynn County Superior Court website seeking information about what time and what day they need to show up can view—in just a couple clicks—all the motions filed so far in the murder trial of Travis and Gregory McMichael and William “Roddie” Bryan.

Those documents include specifics about Arbery’s mental health and prior criminal history that a judge ordered suppressed and never brought up in court.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Yeah I'm sure THAT was a total and complete accident.

GBI needs to burn that entire county's law enforcement and justice department. The corruption evident in this case is 100% criminal and inexcusable.

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #568 ·
I believe that is why they were armed because someone had flashed a gun at him who he believed was the deceased from my reading of all the news reports and his gun had been stolen on top of that.
I’ve heard there is a bunch of video of the deceased in all the neighborhoods out there but that’s hearsay until stuff comes out at trial etc

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,613 Posts
I heard on the news last night about the opening statements in this trial. Bob Ruben, for the defense, is an excellent lawyer with more than 30 years experience. He was an adjunct professor at Emory law school and taught a class on criminal trials that I attended.

But the news report made his opening argument sound like it was about a citizens arrest gone wrong. Defense attorney Reuben conceded that the father and son did not have probable cause to make a citizens arrest --so I'm wondering how does that help them legally. What good is it to say that the McMichaels wrongly evaluated the circumstances and wrongly concluded that Aubrey was a burglar who needed to be chased down and arrested at gunpoint?
Doesn't the fact that this attempted arrest was illegal and unlawful make their shooting Aubrey a crime, for which there is no justification?

As we have discussed earlier in this thread a person who is being UNLAWFULLY chased by armed men who intend to ILLEGALLY arrest him may resist and defend himself with whatever level of force is necessary which could include trying to take away the guns from his attackers.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
I heard on the news last night about the opening statements in this trial. Bob Ruben, for the defense, is an excellent lawyer with more than 30 years experience. He was an adjunct professor at Emory law school and taught a class on criminal trials that I attended.

But the news report made his opening argument sound like it was about a citizens arrest gone wrong. Defense attorney Reuben conceded that the father and son did not have probable cause to make a citizens arrest --so I'm wondering how does that help them legally. What good is it to say that the McMichaels wrongly evaluated the circumstances and wrongly concluded that Aubrey was a burglar who needed to be chased down and arrested at gunpoint?
Doesn't the fact that this attempted arrest was illegal and unlawful make their shooting Aubrey a crime, for which there is no justification?

As we have discussed earlier in this thread a person who is being UNLAWFULLY chased by armed men who intend to ILLEGALLY arrest him may resist and defend himself with whatever level of force is necessary which could include trying to take away the guns from his attackers.
In my non-attorney opinion I think your post is spot on. I do think we will see this end with a hung jury because of race.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Also a non-lawyer opinion, but a citizens arrest gone wrong might be the best chance for an acquittal. I give props to Kevin Gough learning to keep his mouth shut. Google "How not to Lawyer" to bring up the interview he gave with his client while he was only being investigated.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I
True, Let's ignore the racial makeup of the jury, This forum is self selected among participants with some knowledge about appropriate use of deadly force. I could be wrong, certainly wouldn't be my first time, That isn't Bob Rubin's audience.

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
Also a non-lawyer opinion, but a citizens arrest gone wrong might be the best chance for an acquittal. I give props to Kevin Gough learning to keep his mouth shut. Google "How not to Lawyer" to bring up the interview he gave with his client while he was only being investigated.
Maybe if the deceased had sued after being hit by the vehicle in one of the encounters prior to the one on video it might have been a questionable defense. Given the video was of the third encounter though it seems to set the whole situation up as a Mad Max scenario.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Did I understand one of the defense attorneys Friday to say that McMichael raised the shotgun to de-escalate the situation, and that he ultimately fired the shotgun because he feared the deceased may take the shotgun and use it against the McMichaels; therefore, self-defense was justified. How do you justify the use of deadly force as self-defense when you were the one who brought the deadly force to the encounter in the first place (rhetorical)?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Did I understand one of the defense attorneys Friday to say that McMichael raised the shotgun to de-escalate the situation, and that he ultimately fired the shotgun because he feared the deceased may take the shotgun and use it against the McMichaels; therefore, self-defense was justified. How do you justify the use of deadly force as self-defense when you were the one who brought the deadly force to the encounter in the first place (rhetorical)?
Yep. Like he was trained in the Coast Guard. Next I expect to hear the first round was just a warning shot across the bow.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I think that ruling is accurate as to how the citizens arrest law worked. I've always felt like the defendants were twisting that law beyond what was legal. If the crime was not committed in their presence, there is no grounds for a citizens arrest. Of course, now in this aftermath, there's no grounds for C. A. at any time.

·
NRA Certified Instructor
5,264 Posts
The difference between this case and the Rittenhouse case is McMichales chased down Arbery and Rittenhouse was chased by Rosenbaum, hit in the head and neck with a skateboard by Huber and had a pistol pointed at his head by Grosskreutz.

Whats the same is all 4 of the deceased were convicted felons.

561 - 580 of 595 Posts