Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Do you think the trio will be convicted?

• Yes

• No

• Partial

• Mcmichaels only

541 - 560 of 595 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
I can't be sure but watching the beginning of the video does it look like Arbery picks up the pace as Bryan closes the distance? Maybe he slowed down a bit when he spotted the McMichaels stopped ahead of him? Then when he spotted Bryan heading towards him to hit him with his vehicle again he picks it up?

Something else I've looked at is Arbery's gait looking for any signs of injury from when Bryan side swiped him. What I'd really like to find is video of GBI agent Dial's presentation at the June 4 2020 PC hearing. Or I'll just wait for Oct 18 when the trial starts. Pretty sure he'll be opening witness for the prosecution. Now I've gotta read MP's link about evidence concerning Arbery's mental health. That's gonna take me a while. I read slow because my lips tire easily.

·
NRA Certified Instructor
5,264 Posts

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
Why should it be? What he has or has not done in the pase doesn't matter. It's what he was doing at the time. Which is running down the road. That is not a crime.
Past conduct could be relevant if it was known to the person claiming self defense and influenced his actions. Let's say that some guy had beaten you with a baseball bat in your front yard, then again later when you were walking on the sidewalk. Months later, you are at the neighborhood park, and here he comes at you with a bat. You shoot him dead. Witnesses say of course he had a bat, this is a ballfield.

The judge is probably going to let the prior conduct come in as relevant to the case.

That is different from two criminal cases that you knew nothing about when you shot him. Generally speaking, past conduct is irrelevant. The defense here wanted to insert it into the trial as basically - character assassination. Tell the jury this dude is a scumbag, so, even if the defendants were wrong, hey, he had it coming and did society a favor. That is why the judge is not allowing it.

Reactions: gunsmoker

·
NRA Certified Instructor
5,264 Posts
Maybe he did have it coming?? Still not their job to give it to him.

Reactions: mountainman444

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,408 Posts

·
Senior Mumbler
6,649 Posts
According to the indictment, Johnson “violated the above provision of her oath of District Attorney by showing favor and affection to Greg McMichael during the investigation into the shooting death of Ahmaud Arbery.”
According to court filings, one of the first phone calls Greg McMichael made after the shooting of Arbery was to Johnson.
The indictment also states that Johnson hindered two Glynn County Police Department officers by directing that Travis McMichael was not placed under arrest on the day Arbery was shot and killed.
Former Brunswick district attorney arrested, released on bond for charges connected to Arbery case

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
The attorney for the Ahmad Arbery family, Lee Merrit, said “This historic decision by the grand jury in South Georgia at the behest of the Attorney General Carr, we hope will send ripple effects throughout the legal community. Ahmaud Arbery’s murder was a tipping point in this nation for addressing the issue of not only violence and racism, but systemic racism.”​

Is that why she interfered? Because she is a racist? I am having trouble connecting the dots. Given the close relationship they had, I am willing to bet she would have done the same for a former black investigator.

·
Registered
8,849 Posts
Is that why she interfered? Because she is a racist? I am having trouble connecting the dots. Given the close relationship they had, I am willing to bet she would have done the same for a former black investigator.
She wasn’t called out specifically, but rather the bias inherent in the system was. If Arbery had been a 26 yr old white woman that was killed in the same way is there any doubt that there would have been a more immediate arrest?

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,613 Posts
I see the problem in the DA's behavior more as a "good old boys' system" problem than a
"white people conspiring to cover-up a crime against a black victim" problem.
And even if the DA's actions (or lack of action) doesn't result in a conviction, just the fact that the GBI and Attorney General's office presented it to a Grand Jury and got an indictment makes a strong statement against corruption and cronyism in the criminal justice system.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,613 Posts
Past conduct could be relevant if it was known to the person claiming self defense and influenced his actions. Let's say that some guy had beaten you with a baseball bat in your front yard, then again later when you were walking on the sidewalk. Months later, you are at the neighborhood park, and here he comes at you with a bat. You shoot him dead.
Prior difficulties between the parties will always be relevant.

But this is about prior difficulties between "Quez" (his street name) and some hard-nosed (even bullying?) cop, and what is arguably a "victimless crime" of carrying a weapon unlawfully, without a license and at an off-limits location. Since none of those things involved these particular guys who chased him down and shot him when he resisted being captured at gunpoint, those prior incidents would probably be excluded EVEN IF the white guys knew about them.

(Although maybe the incident about carrying a gun could be relevant under slightly different circumstances-- if the white guys had shot him for making a reaching movement toward his pocket or waistband. But here, it's quite clear they shot him for attempting to wrestle the shotgun away from the guy who was assaulting him with it. The idea of Quez having a concealed gun in his pants just isn't relevant or supported by any facts. It's not even reasonable to think about it or inquire about it.)

·
Registered
178 Posts
She wasn’t called out specifically, but rather the bias inherent in the system was. If Arbery had been a 26 yr old white woman that was killed in the same way is there any doubt that there would have been a more immediate arrest?
The case of Caroline Small 35 yr old white female shot by 2 GCPD, one of which was promoted, then proceeded to murder his ex wife and her boyfriend. The stink down there isn't just the paper mill.

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts

. . . he concluded that a registered nurse's "highly questionable diagnosis” that Arbery suffered from mental illness during his first and only visit to a mental health services provider in 2018 could unfairly prejudice a trial jury.​
“There is no evidence that the victim was suffering from any mental health issue, or had otherwise decompensated, on February 23, 2020,” the date Arbery was killed, the judge's ruling said.​

541 - 560 of 595 Posts