Georgiapacking.org banner

421 - 433 of 433 Posts

·
68,114 Posts
In the motion, Gough challenged the prosecution's assertion that Bryan "had no substantial ties to the community," claiming that Bryan has lived in Glynn County "virtually his entire life."​

Wow. That sort of misbehavior by the prosecutors ought to be sanctioned by the judge.

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,399 Posts
AJC reported that Kemp is willing to "take a look" at the "citizen's arrest" law because of this case.

The governor also hinted he could back a push to repeal or adapt the state's citizen's arrest law, a statute that is more than 150 years old and has come under intense scrutiny after the 2020 death of Ahmaud Arbery, a Black man who was shot and killed near Brunswick after three white men followed him.

A prosecutor invoked the statute when discouraging police from arresting suspects in Arbery's death, and since then a bipartisan coalition of lawmakers, along with criminal justice activists, have called for repeal of the law.

"I've looked at the citizen's arrest law, and we'll be talking about it a bit in a few days," Kemp said.
Kemp: Election reform 'front and center' for 2021
AJC, 1/12/2021, p. A1

·
68,114 Posts
:shakehead:

Why not "take a look" at the state's gun laws, too, since they used guns?

There is nothing whatsoever in the state's citizen's arrest law that caused this criminal behavior.

This is an AJC article from October. The lawmaker is Republican who is crowing about his thought crimes legislation from last year.
https://www.ajc.com/politics/lawmak...tizens-arrest-law/D5UHIDVIMVDFJMR5ZHUM3NTGOQ/
"I view repeal of citizen's arrest as the next step after passage of the historic hate-crimes act this year," he said. "Having the legal authority for a person who is not trained in law enforcement to arrest that person and take that person before a judge is untenable in our current world."

·
68,114 Posts
Same article:

Marissa Dodson, a lobbyist with the Southern Center for Human Rights, said she's unaware of an instance where someone invoked his or her right to conduct a citizen's arrest and there wasn't a tragic result.​

Well somebody put me in touch with Dodson. I have done it more than once, with no tragic results, and when I was a police officer I witnessed events where others did it and turned the person over to us, again without tragic results. Her experience in the world must be very limited.

If the law is repealed, and you discover a criminal breaking into your car, or stealing your tv, you can't stop him. You can't chase him. You must call the police and hope for the best (or worst).

State Rep. Bert Reeves, a Marietta Republican, said there were instances not included in Efstration's proposal where detaining a suspect of a crime was necessary. For example, he said he did not want changes to the law to prevent someone who witnesses his or her car being burglarized or stolen from attempting to stop the offender from leaving.

"What we're trying to do is eliminate vigilantism of this insane scenario that happened in Brunswick and make it so that nobody under the color of the law can make that argument ever again," Reeves said. "But somewhere along the way we've got some commonsense (concern) which deals with our ability to defend our property."​

·
68,114 Posts
OCGA § 17-4-60 - Grounds for arrest

A private person may arrest an offender if the offense is committed in his presence or within his immediate knowledge. If the offense is a felony and the offender is escaping or attempting to escape, a private person may arrest him upon reasonable and probable grounds of suspicion.
That's it. You now have the entire law.

I think, in spite of the early arguments of "who knows what Arbery was doing," which is not reasonable and probable grounds of suspicion of burglary, the facts as they have come out at this time show no grounds for arrest.

This law did not cause the issue. The three criminals who decided for no reason a black man seen there must be a burglar caused the issue.

We do not need to further separate and alienate law enforcement "special status" from the rest of us. That is a mistake.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
13,678 Posts
You know the question mark and everything past it in that link reports back to google where you share it, who clicks it and tracks everyone from there.

Nemo

·
68,114 Posts
In the motion, Gough challenged the prosecution's assertion that Bryan "had no substantial ties to the community," claiming that Bryan has lived in Glynn County "virtually his entire life."​

Wow. That sort of misbehavior by the prosecutors ought to be sanctioned by the judge.
I am still ticked off by this obvious lie told by the government and the court simply ignoring it and letting it slide.

·
Registered
13,441 Posts
Reactions: GATimberdoodle
421 - 433 of 433 Posts