Long distance radios

Discussion in 'GENERAL EVENTS' started by Daniel8mm, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Daniel8mm

Daniel8mm Member

With the upcoming ban or vilification of conservative speech does anyone know of long distance radios that will allow for communications?

2. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

I wouldn't worry, but I'll ask these questions anyway. How long distance? Ham radio type distance?

3. Daniel8mm

Daniel8mm Member

yep ham type radios how far do they reach?

4. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Around the world on the right frequency especially with a good antenna.

5. dhaller

dhaller Active Member

You're looking at a Ham set with a G5RV multiband antenna - and a bit of electronics education. ICom probably makes the best radios, but they'll set you back.

Basically, distance is a matter of transmitter wattage and your antenna... the bigger the antenna, the more bands available (a radio wavelength is a multiple integral of antenna length, so the longer your antenna, the longer waves you have access to... talking to, say, the opposite side of the country may need a 20m or 40m band, for example.)

FWIW, Greater Atlanta has a fairly active Ham community (or did when I was active in it). It's worth getting involved (and conveniently, I'd say Hams lean conservative), especially as the Ham community maintains repeater towers and so forth. Back in the day, Ham operators were key figures in coordinating things like disaster response, when phone lines were down... Hams on the scene would maintain radio contact with emergency responders, helping them with info and coordination. It's a proud tradition of service.

Another little bonus to Ham radio chat is that it's not mediated by satellite (long distance relies on atmospheric and geologic wave reflection), so when the inevitable Space War comes and the telecom sats are destroyed, you can still talk!

(Funny the issue comes up, because I was reflecting on the need to educate my daughter in electronics and radio building and operation in a few years, simply because those are important skills in a world with communications interruptions.)

DH

MaricopaKid and Daniel8mm like this.
  6. smn

smn Active Member

"Distance" is affected by weather and atmospheric conditions among the other things. Lots of variables are in play when you want "distance". Depending on the frequency you may be limited by line of sight, tropospheric ducting, gray line propagation, storms, bandwidth, power output, antenna efficiency, and whatever else.

Antennas are like rifle scopes - the more you invest in the better antennas the better the electronic equipment will perform for you. There is no upper limit when spending on amateur radio (much like guns or women).

Daniel8mm likes this.
  7. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Sorry to be a little nitpicky, but very few communications go via satellite. Even something like SpaceX's rolling out Starlink only uses satellite for the final end-use connection. Most of the internet traffic is handled by cables, either overland or undersea, mostly fiber-optic, some copper still.

dhaller likes this.
  8. dhaller

dhaller Active Member

There's no such thing as "too nitpicky" in technical discussions.

I guess my point is that in the scenario of unreliable telecommunications infrastructure, two-way radio is your huckleberry.

DH

Clark likes this.
  9. Daniel8mm

Daniel8mm Member

awesome preciate the info

10. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Get that PM I send you?

Nemo