Locust Grove LEO killed serving warrant

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by awanatech, Feb 10, 2018.

1. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/hen...-father-expecting-2nd-child-any-day/697235968

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/hen...estigation-underway-in-locust-grove/697113627

On Friday, 2/9/18, Henry County deputies went to a home in Locust Grove to serve a warrant & arrest Tierre Guthrie for Failure to Appear on a traffic citation. Soon after arriving, the deputies realized that Guthrie had no intention of going with them and they radioed for backup. Locust Grove (LG) officer Chase Maddox was nearby and responded. He was on the scene within a couple of minutes. At some point while the 3 LEO were in the house with Mr. Guthrie, Guthrie has access to a gun and opened fire. Both deputies were hit. One in the torso, who was likely saved by his vest. The other was hit a couple of inches below his vest in the stomach and was transported to Atlanta Medical. The LG officer, Chase Maddox, was hit in the head and died on the scene. At least one of the officers was able to return fire, hitting and killing Guthrie.

Officer Maddox was 26 and had been with the LG PD for 5 years. He leaves behind a wife and young son. His wife, who is pregnant, was scheduled to have C-section delivery of their 2nd child on Tuesday. Prayers for her and their 2 children.

I work very close to this scene. The children of some coworkers attend the school that was locked down. I did not know the officer who was killed, but one coworker is close to their family. I've known one of the deputies involved for many years.

All of this over a Failure to Appear Warrant for a traffic citation. I have not heard if they have found any other reason for the suspect to react this way. As they sift through the house & his life, they may uncover other reasons he was determined not to be taken into custody. Officer Maddox was the first LG PD officer killed in the line of duty in the city's 124 year existence.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I have heard from a trusted source that he lost his job a while ago, and was also being served with an intent to evict notice.

awanatech likes this.

3. awanatech

I had not heard that, but I knew there's more to it than a traffic citation. I interact with quite a few of the local LEO through work, but by the time I left today, I had not talked with anyone who knew more details for sure. I've heard some different speculations, but none that I felt I trusted enough to post. They've been busy this afternoon with a couple of different situations. Our work even locked down for a time today for an unrelated incident, and that hasn't happened in 18+ years, even during various prison escapes less than a mile away.

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I know someone that uses the same real estate broker that leases that home. It came from the broker.

awanatech likes this.
  5. awanatech

They would likely know about an eviction.

6. Motopackin

Motopackin Member

This hits very close to home, I knew officer Maddox and his family, he was in my son's Boy Scout Troop. Enjoyed many troop meetings, camp outs and summer camps with him. Good kid and good officer. Can't even fathom what his wife and parents are going thru. Godspeed Officer Maddox.

7. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

Prayers for the families involved. With 124 year history of this "not happening here" being broken, it's a terrible wake up notice. It sounds like Officer Maddox was a really good family man. As for the dead resident, it sounds like his world might have been collapsing in on him. Maybe. Not making an excuse for what he did. Suicide by cop, doesn't actually involve taking them with you.

8. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

http://www.henryherald.com/news/sla...b47a-7103-5943-915f-2ae32fe95ba4.html/?update