Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many new cars now do not have this feature. My wife just purchased a new Ford Fusion and it has no locking compartments...neither did her Dodge truck.

I'd like to see this law struck from the books. "Inside a locked vehicle or in a locked compartment on a vehicle (you know, a motor cycle). If the criminal gets inside a vehicle don't ya think he can get inside a locked compartment? :screwy: :screwy:

·
Under Scrutiny
19,384 Posts

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
So lets say you're far away from home, you have a gun in your car, the law says you must lock your doors to be within the law, and then you go to leave, and one of your door locks will not work, something has broken, a latch, whatever. What are you to do? Take it in with you, violate law? Leave in unlocked, violate law? Or inconvenience yourself, drive hours back home all because of some stupid law? I mean really, does these politicians even have half a brain when the come up with some of these ridiculous laws?

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
!

EJR914 said:
I mean really, does these politicians even have half a brain when the come up with some of these ridiculous laws?
The answer, except for proponent of pro-gun bills, is a resounding NO!

Should legislators seek the council of JRM, Malum Prohibitum, GUB, et al.? Heck yes!

·
Senior Mumbler
6,434 Posts
EJR914 said:
So lets say you're far away from home, you have a gun in your car, the law says you must lock your doors to be within the law, and then you go to leave, and one of your door locks will not work, something has broken, a latch, whatever. What are you to do? Take it in with you, violate law? Leave in unlocked, violate law? Or inconvenience yourself, drive hours back home all because of some stupid law? I mean really, does these politicians even have half a brain when the come up with some of these ridiculous laws?
Put it in the trunk.

Heck, what if the glove box lock breaks, the trunk lock fails, the door locks fail and then cable lock seizes. What in the world do we do then? The world is full of hypothetical questions, why make the question/answer harder than it is.

Edit: Just reread and realized your post was condemning the absurd language of that law, not asking hypothetical questions on why take the chance. Sorry about that.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
phantoms said:
EJR914 said:
Put it in the trunk.

Heck, what if the glove box lock breaks, the trunk lock fails, the door locks fail and then cable lock seizes. What in the world do we do then? The world is full of hypothetical questions, why make the question/answer harder than it is.
Well since my particular car has a lever that releases the trunk when the car is off, the trunk wouldn't be a very good option, either. Break glass, open door, pop lever, the trunk is up.

Because of Murphy's law, and I really don't think that ANY law should be telling us what we must do with our weapon to secure it. I don't think they should be prescribing anything to us by law. What next? You have to buy safes to own guns in your home, and keep those guns in your safe until you need them to protect yourself, or you're cleaning them? No thanks.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
phantoms said:
:righton: Especially if you're in New Jersey!

·
Senior Mumbler
6,434 Posts
EJR914, you replied while I was editing my post. Read it again. :oops:

And BTW, if your trunk has a key lock on it in addition to the pull handle inside the car, it can be locked. Not very securely, but it has a lock. :shattered:

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
phantoms said:
Put it in the trunk.
I drive a 1984 CJ-7, no trunk, no lock on the rear hatch and no locking glove box or other compartments.

Bad Law!

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
phantoms said:
EJR914, you replied while I was editing my post. Read it again. :oops:

And BTW, if your trunk has a key lock on it in addition to the pull handle inside the car, it can be locked. Not very securely, but it has a lock. :shattered:
Unfortunately, my POS doesn't have a key lock on it, only the lever. I know, how stupid, right?

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
How about the doors locked but the side window busted out. Or how about the doors locked in your convertable with the top down. :shattered:

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,110 Posts
Savvy Jack: What law are you referring to, that would require you to lock your gun in your vehicle or in a locked box inside your vehicle?

Is it the school safety zone law, 16-11-127.1, exception (c )(8 )? I think that exception would cover you as long as you were IN your vehicle. If you are away from your vehicle, well, you don't really want to legalize leaving your gun unattended in an open-topped convertible or Jeep with no locking compartments, parked in the school parking lot, do you?

Is there some other law that you are looking at? Please tell us the Code section to look at.

P.S. Is it really that big of a deal to add a lock of some kind to the glove box of your vehicle? Or how about screw/ weld / chain down a metal cash box (perfect for holding a pistol and a couple spare mags) to the floor of your Jeep?

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
gunsmoker said:
Savvy Jack: What law are you referring to, that would require you to lock your gun in your vehicle or in a locked box inside your vehicle?

Is it the school safety zone law, 16-11-127.1, exception (c )(8 )? I think that exception would cover you as long as you were IN your vehicle. If you are away from your vehicle, well, you don't really want to legalize leaving your gun unattended in an open-topped convertible or Jeep with no locking compartments, parked in the school parking lot, do you?

Is there some other law that you are looking at? Please tell us the Code section to look at.

P.S. Is it really that big of a deal to add a lock of some kind to the glove box of your vehicle? Or how about screw/ weld / chain down a metal cash box (perfect for holding a pistol and a couple spare mags) to the floor of your Jeep?
Point is I should not have to....and I won't

·
Banned
2,559 Posts
EJR914 said:
The correct to your question....is ....NO!!!!!! they don't

1 - 15 of 15 Posts