Lobbying Law Makers for a Uniform State Law For Gun Carry

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Watch_Their_Hands, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Watch_Their_Hands

Watch_Their_Hands New Member

It occurs to me, that with as backward as many of GA's gun laws are, concerning the complicated manner in which they are written, the way in which they are interpreted by the various probate judges and LEO's of different counties, and how the laws that are beneficial to gun owners are often completely ignored, if there were a law that stated that GA gun owners could carry openly without a GFL, it would go a long way toward opening the door to other pro-gun laws.

I greatly appreciate all that I have learned here thus far. There are many very knowledgeable people here. While I am not new to gun ownership, I am new to GA gun laws in respect to carrying openly and concealed; there are many here that know far more than I. Any suggestions on how we can begin a truly concerted effort toward the goal of making a law such as this a reality? Thanks.

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Yes, the AJC has not seen a pro gun bill they liked, um... ever, as far as I can tell.

However, I think a way to get past them is to launch 2 pronged attacks. If we can introduce a big bill that repeals a lot of stuff, like public gatherings and other off limits places, and at the same time get multiple smaller 1 or 2 item repeals introduced, we can get the media to focus on the big bill and hopefully get the smaller ones through without much media attention.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

27 states already allow the open carry of a firearm without a license. Georgia would be merely joining the majority of states.

4. Watch_Their_Hands

Perhaps by pushing for an all out change in GA carry law, (best defense is a good offense) we might see more pro-gun changes in the GA gun laws overall, even if a general carry bill does not succeed. GS1's idea of 2 pronged attacks is a very good one. Why not multi-pronged attacks?

A super-large bill loaded with pro-gun law changes. Minute and large. You never know...

Yes, GAGunOwner, most certainly a large problem with the local media in GA is the AJC. :evil: Introducing a large bill, with many proposed gun law changes, may attract out-of-state media, and hamper the ability of media outlets such as the AJC, from keeping up with it all. Could be good, could be bad. Never know. Worth a try, but we need a solid pro-gun media outlet with some weight. This could help the smaller bills within the larger bill. Might even, with some additional pro-gun media help, bring the larger bill to the forefront at a later date. Hell, if such a law was to gain even a little momentum, more of the population as a whole, including various law makers in both houses, may rightly begin to think that public opinion is swaying in regards to GA pro-gun laws. Some sheeple might even begin to believe that they should be allowed to protect themselves... :wink:

Merely joining the majority of states would be more than we have now, MP~. With all of the pro-gun politicians in GA, from the Governor down, it's a crime that GA gun laws are so far behind states located close to us with similar populations, growth and work forces. But we all know that Atlanta is the problem. Hub of the southeast. We have to find a way to place new carry laws, and less restrictive GA gun laws in general, in a better light, so that the powers that be that control growth and new business development in the Atlanta Metro area, don't crush our chances through their fear of scaring away potential growth.

How can we accomplish this?

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I would not be so quick to lump the Governor in with other pro-gun politicians.

He seems to be a fence sitter at best. He may say he is pro gun rights, but he seems to be perfectly willing to do everything he can, short of a veto, to kill pro gun bills he thinks will better serve his needs.

6. Watch_Their_Hands

Yes, he is on the fence, he sways whichever way he thinks the political and social winds are blowing. He is pro-gun, if only through his teeth. :wink: GS1, you said it correctly when you said, "...he thinks will better serve his needs." Someone should call him on that. The good 'ol boy club is holding us back in many respects.

We need $$$. We need advertising $$$. Just a little, something. Anyone with $ can promote their view...even in the AJC.

7. Malum Prohibitum

I do not think it any secret that these items are GCO's priority right now, at least until cross over day, along with getting any restrictions remaining into one code section so the typical packer need not hire a lawyer to research the entire code before knowing whether he is legal in any particular place.

8. Watch_Their_Hands

No, GAGunerOwner, we need to attack GA gun laws across the board. We are merely eating crumbs.

To quote:

"I'm all for permitless open carry (CC for that matter) but even if we get this passed, it really doesn't do us much good from a practical standpoint.

Getting the GFL isn't that hard..."

Huh??? I have read all the same posts as everyone else here, heard the stories of 5-6 months or more waits, come on! Some people are never contacted at all concerning their GFL.

From all that I have read here, and much research I have done over the last few months, it is easy to see that we are headed in the wrong direction concerning GA gun laws. Things are not getting better.

9. Watch_Their_Hands

Getting any restrictions remaining into one code section would be amazingly welcome. :D

10. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Hmmm, don't remember this one. What happened?

11. b8fish

b8fish New Member

Perhaps the media can be used against itself .. recall the hysteria that preceeds every pro-gun bill. Capture the written dire predictions, and quote them back after they predictably fail to come to pass and before the next pro-gun bill. Not all articles remain archived on the newspaper's site but does not Lexis or some such keep a record?

12. Watch_Their_Hands

That's not a bad idea, b8fish...

13. Taler

Taler New Member

It could be nice if we had a media outlet that would express facts, but imho, regardless of how we try to use the truth, outlets such as the AJC simply won't print it. Really? Yeah, really.

Believe me, I agree with your point of view, and share your frustrations. But at some point, like now, reality sets in. We are few, and they are many.

I like (and agree with) GCO's approach of face-to-face lobbying, relationship building, and incremental gains. It is particularly pleasing to me to know (and see) the GCO President testifying before a committe, and recognize the education he (and we) provide, distracting t-i-e and all.

To get a sense of what can be accomplished, I recommend a review of VCDL. I think we're following a very similar path and are focused on achieving similar results.

14. Malum Prohibitum

VCDL are my heroes! :D

15. Watch_Their_Hands

I am thankful for everything GCO is doing, and that is why I became a member. I will review VCDL. I also believe that to become "the many" rather than remain the few, we need to be more vocal.

16. Taler

Taler New Member

Agreed Watch. One voice at a time, for now.

17. Watch_Their_Hands

Agreed. Watch for now. When we have stronger numbers...

Reviewing VCDL as we speak. Will do so for the remainder of today when time allows. I can already see that they don't take any :censored:

18. Watch_Their_Hands

It would be nice if we had reciprocity with VA...

Their off-limits regulations are better than ours. VCDL Permit Expiration Reminder Service. Nice.

I like VCDL's store. There's a great way to raise $.

There are fewer permit holders in Virginia than GA, yet they are managing to use their numbers wisely. We should focus on this and raise awareness, and GCO membership levels. They are getting good media play, we are not, but should focus major attention to this goal.

They fight hard for gun owners rights. I am impressed.