Lobbying by govt agencies

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by AtlPhilip, Nov 4, 2017.

1. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

In your opinion....

To what degree is it acceptable for a government agency (Georgia) to use tax dollars and resources to lobby for a referendum for a tax increase who's proceeds would 100% go to fund said agency?

Also, what test would you use to decide when "providing information" has become advocating and marketing?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  2. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

I don't think government should use taxpayer monies to lobby.

3. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

Ultimately, it will be the taxpayer's money, but the infinite debt at the Federal level has fooled taxpayers into not feeling the real pain. If the money spent each year was actually taxed in the current year, people wouldn't have to say "no", it simply couldn't happen. Local governments are bought off or propped up by these infinite debt created Federal funds. There is no "magic" and the bill will eventually come due. The taxpayers should put their foot down, but they're too busy enjoying the fruits of this deception.

That said, the entire concept of "We the People" has been lost when government can lobby for government. Government can't lobby for the people. That's a false concept. You can have a representative, but even that needs to be suspect. We've really hosed it up.

4. AtlPhilip

What about a school board using school funds, staff, computers, and email/letterhead to lobby for a new sales tax for schools?

5. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

I do not think that any govt agency should be using tax dollars to lobby for or against a referendum, whether they are the beneficiary of said referendum or not. I think that "providing information" becomes advocating when they take a stated position in the information or encourage the voters to vote a certain way. They will also advocate in the way that they make statements, any info can be spun to support one's position.

I do not agree at all with how our school board has been lobbying for a renewal of the e-splost & my early vote last week reflected that.

6. AtlPhilip

Well, the Fayette County School Board successfully bought themselves a $145,000,000 windfall with taxpayer money. It only took 3% of the people to vote in a tax increase on the other 97%.

Democracy, ain't it great!

7. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

8. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

ftfy.

9. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

Voting is hard.

Yesterday, I went to my usual voting place, filled out the form and then was told my voter location had changed to the school 1.5 blocks from my house. Nice of the SOS to inform me of the change. DeKalb always votes for more taxes on somebody else.

10. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Seems like the fault may be with 97% of the people.

11. AtlPhilip

True, except that the government worked very hard to ensure that the outcome went a certain way. Sending "get out the vote" emails to those who would benefit. Purchasing and placing advertising on strategic school property. Encouraging employees to vote, but deliberately scheduling on a very low turnout day.

So yes, the voters failed to step and speak, but the deck was stacked.