Live in Florida but landowner in Ga. Moving to Grady county

Discussion in 'Welcome New Members' started by Gophfer, May 22, 2018.

1. Gophfer

Gophfer Just a country boy

I am working on building a house on my land in SW Ga. My wife and I would like to make it our home.

I have a FL permit (so I have reciprocity) and joined GA Carry. Just bought raffle tickets for the nice M1A they are raffling off. Been wanting one for a while. Did Army basic with the M-14.

I am worried about the carry law for churches. How am I supposed to know if a church has "opted in?"

2. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Welcome aboard. You have to ask. Can be embarrassing but its really the only way.

Gophfer likes this.

3. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

Asking is the only way you'd know if they are one of the few churches that have opted-in for carry of guns.

Unless you know they allow it, assume it's illegal.

At least the offense is a low-level misdemeanor with a max of $100 fine and no arrest.

Gophfer likes this.
  4. Gophfer

Gophfer Just a country boy

Churches are "soft targets" I don't like being in a soft target "naked." In Florida, church carry is legal unless they trespass you and essentially banned you from the church.

I know the new church carry provision in GA is a step forward from what it used to be. It may be difficult to find a new church if that is the first question I ask. Driving about 20 miles to a church in Fl may be an option too.

5. BryanCosgrove

BryanCosgrove New Member

Hmm, that clears it all up.

By the way, welcome aboard, Gophfer!

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I would not make it the first question I ask. Indeed, I would not ask it until I was well known and trusted.

The first questions I would ask would be things like:

Do you believe in somebody being saved by reciting the "sinner's prayer" or "asking Jesus into his heart" or other things that are unbiblical and for which we have no examples in the book of Acts, that is, the book where ALL of the examples conversions to Christianity are contained?

Do you engage in worship with instrumental music or other unauthorized worship?​

Things like that, to determine if they do things God's way, or, like most churches, their own way, substituting futile manmade doctrines for instruction and example in scripture. "But in vain do they worship Me, Teaching as doctrines the precepts of men." Matthew 15:9

The gun thing is way down my list of questions, but I would probably be discretely carrying from the first visit, accepting the low risk of a $100 fine on the off chance that (a) they do not opt in, and (b) my gun is actually spotted.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    DonT likes this.
  7. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

MP, great advice and post.

8. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Earthly life vs. Eternal life.

Plus most of us realize that most earthly laws have little or no moral component. MP sort of embodies that.

9. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

just watch out for the churches that have a Christian school on the same property.
    That triggers a different law with a standard misdemeanor penalty (up to 12 mo. jail + $1000 fines) for GWL licensees and felony prison up to 10 years for folks without GWL's.

Gophfer likes this.
  10. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:13

MP, you may enjoy reading this. Alot of truth in the article.

http://www.alisachilders.com/blog/5...ht-be-heading-toward-progressive-christianity

Gophfer and UtiPossidetis like this.
  11. Malum Prohibitum

12. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Seen it many times. Pastors seem to want to be social workers these days and instead of preaching the Gospel they want to be social engineers based on man-made rules instead of G*ds rules. And folks wonder why mainline protestant denominations are dying quickly.

13. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Is it a sin for liberal, progressive church leaders to teach tolerance over obedience?

Consider God's condemnation of false prophets and occultists who used their spells and magic trinkets to promise protection to evil people.

God said their actions "encouraged the wicked, that he should not turn from his evil way to save his life..."

Ezekiel 13:22 (ESV).

14. Malum Prohibitum

Your question is a complete strawman. It also violently rips a verse out of its context to try and make a point that God is not making.

But I'll play along. I posted about the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) whose preacher was attacking the Governor candidate for traumatizing the kiddos with the fake M2 on his Jeep in the parade. Remember that thread? I posted quotes and paraphrased from that Christian Church's web site. One was from a woman who was attending there with her "partner" and discussing how welcoming the church was for them just as they were, whereas other churches had "contingencies." Do you really think the church was teaching these two women biblical truth, and "encourag[ing] the wicked that [she]should turn from [her] evil way to save [her] life?"

I had to remove the word "not," because your quote is accurate. My quote is not. I had to turn it around even to use. it.

Please read all of Ezekiel 13. Better yet, read all of Ezekiel. You, my friend, have missed the entire point.

In context, your quote is taken from God's angry statement to the people who have let the evil man continue his ways, by telling him falsehoods and "not" turning him from his evil ways, which would save his life.

In other words, God is angry because they lied to the evil man, telling him he was safe, encouraging him to continue in his evil ways.

It is a chapter about lying prophets spreading falsehoods, causing grief to the righteous and encouraging the evil man.

15. Malum Prohibitum

The consequences for misleading God's people in this way are clear. From the same chapter:

Precisely because they have misled my people, say to those who smear it with whitewash that it shall fall!" There will be a deluge of rain, and you, O great hailstones, will fall, and a stormy wind break out. And when the wall falls, will it not be said to you, ‘Where is the coating with which you smeared it?’ Therefore thus says the Lord God: "I will make a stormy wind break out in my wrath, and there shall be a deluge of rain in my anger, and great hailstones in wrath to make a full end. And I will break down the wall that you have smeared with whitewash, and bring it down to the ground, so that its foundation will be laid bare. When it falls, you shall perish in the midst of it, and you shall know that I am the Lord."​

"Whitewash." Pretty cool, huh?

16. Malum Prohibitum

Then read chapter 33.

The word of the Lord came to me: “Son of man, speak to your people and say to them, If I bring the sword upon a land, and the people of the land take a man from among them, and make him their watchman, and if he sees the sword coming upon the land and blows the trumpet and warns the people, 4 then if anyone who hears the sound of the trumpet does not take warning, and the sword comes and takes him away, his blood shall be upon his own head. He heard the sound of the trumpet and did not take warning; his blood shall be upon himself. But if he had taken warning, he would have saved his life. But if the watchman sees the sword coming and does not blow the trumpet, so that the people are not warned, and the sword comes and takes any one of them, that person is taken away in his iniquity, but his blood I will require at the watchman's hand.​

17. Malum Prohibitum

Then he tells Ezekiel, You are the watchman!

“So you, son of man, I have made a watchman for the house of Israel. Whenever you hear a word from my mouth, you shall give them warning from me. 8 If I say to the wicked, O wicked one, you shall surely die, and you do not speak to warn the wicked to turn from his way, that wicked person shall die in his iniquity, but his blood I will require at your hand. 9 But if you warn the wicked to turn from his way, and he does not turn from his way, that person shall die in his iniquity, but you will have delivered your soul."​

In other words, there are eternal consequences for remaining completely silent and giving no warning.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  18. gunsmoker

So Malum how can you call my quote a "strawman" and fail to see the correlation between God's condemning false prophets that said "everything will be OK" to unrepentant sinners ...

... and liberal church leaders (who, while not claiming to be prophets, hold themselves out as well-studied in the Bible abd qualified to teach the meaning of scripture to others)
    who teach that gay is OK, and two lesbians can be joined in holy matrimony, etc. MISLEADING the people and CONSPIRING to prevent the people from realizing their sin and repenting??

19. Malum Prohibitum

I missed a word in your post. Mainly "condemnation" and perhaps some others in my zeal to respond swiftly. I thought you were writing the opposite. :lol:

20. gunsmoker

Thanks for clearing that up.

On a related note, I just came across this scripture also where God says to Israel through the prophet Malachi, as part of a series of complaints against that unfaithful nation who continually dilutes or ignores the Law and ignores the warnings of many prior prophets sent by God:

"You have wearied the Lord with your words... by saying "Everyone who does evil is good in the sight of the Lord, and he delights in them." (Malachi 2:17).

A few verses back in the same chapter of Malachi, the Lord gave this warning to the priests of Israel:

"You have caused many to stumble by your instruction. You have corrupted the covenant of Levi, says the Lord of Hosts, and so I make you despised and abased before all my people, insomuch as you do not keep my ways, but show partiality in your instruction."
    (Mal. 2:8-9).

Well, so much for the "love the sinner, but hate the sin" doctrine. Here the Lord is specifically faulting the people of Israel and its errant priests for NOT clearly condemning sinful behavior, and saying that God "delights in" those sinners. God may love them (we'd need to read other scripture on that point), but that love certainly doesn't translate into what modern progressive churches are teaching, which is basically "I'm OK, you're OK, and we're all God's creation, and whatever urges we have, that's how God made us and God wants us to express our individuality and do our own things our own ways."