Live Election Results

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by Wegahe, May 22, 2018.

1. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

2. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

This is not looking good at all. That greasy typical politician Cagle is kicking Kemp's butt, big time.

3. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Not really...

Look at all the anti Cagle votes. Kemp may just take it in the run off.

4. Glockenator

I'm not up on how all of that works, so I guess I'm pleased to be wrong. :mrgreen:

5. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

If no one receives 50% +1 vote then the top 2 face each other in a run off to be held on 07/24/2018. Lots of people looking for an alternative to Cagle...

6. Glockenator

Looks like there will be a runoff. At least there is some hope. Whew.

7. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Kemp never had a shot at the outright win in the primary. This is the best he could hope for, a runoff with Cagle. He needs to bring together a coalition of the other 'not Cagle' voters and he can win. This is actually a very positive result.

8. Broadside Bob

Broadside Bob Member

How do y'all like Kemp's chances in the runoff?

Here's the way I'm looking at it. Cagle probably had by far the strongest name recognition of anyone running for any office for either party. Yet, 61% of the voters in the Republican Governor's primary chose someone else. If I were Cagle, I think I'd be very concerned.

I think we saw in 2016 that any candidate who, at their core, seems to believe that "because it's my turn" could run into problems. Would love to see me some Abrams vs. Kemp debates this fall.

Still a steep hill for Kemp to climb, but I see reasons for optimism. Other thoughts?

9. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

When I first started watching the live results Cagle was running away with it. I felt sure he was going to be well over the 50% mark. As more and more votes came in his lead dwindled. There are a lot of not Cagle votes out there for the taking. If only 60% of those votes go to Kemp then Kemp wins. We need to be more active in promoting Kemp over Cagle. The one thing I really feel great about is Hill is unemployed as a politician.

10. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

If Kemp can emphasize that Cagle has the "it's my turn" attitude he may win. Its an outside chance but if he can pitch it right I think he has a chance. I hope so.

11. Glockenator

I hope Kemp plays it real cool, smart, intelligently and cleverly from now on. Been a very long time since I've seen a good Georgia governor (if I ever have). I have a good feeling he would be a good one.

12. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Compared to Roy Barns they have all been good. We need someone who is more in line with the Constitutions (US and State) and less n line with being in control. I have yet to see that in Georgia.

13. alnen

alnen Active Member

This is great news! Kemp has a really good chance.

14. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

My personal view is that Cagle was generally no one's second choice. People who don't support him seem to want anyone but him.

That said, Kemp needs to pick up 69% of the non-Cagle/Kemp voters to win the runoff, and Cagle only needs 31%. That’s a massive differential to overcome. I’m not saying it can’t be done, but it’s a seriously uphill battle and Kemp will need a lot of time and money (hint, hint) and maybe the endorsements of Hill and Tippins to do it.

Savannah Dan and UtiPossidetis like this.
  15. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Hill and Tippins are within the anyone but Cagle group. At least they were during the primary. We'll see if their attitude holds up in the run off.

16. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

While the main focus has been on the Governor run off lets not forget David Shafer is also in a run off. I would really like to see this guy in Cagles old seat.

17. Arty

Arty Fire for effect

FWIW, I really agree with Kemp and Shafer.

18. Speevl

Speevl Active Member

Do you know anyone who is actually passionate about Cagle? The folks that are anti-Cagle are motivated to see him lose. How many are motivated to see him win? How does that translate at who shows up at the polls? This gives Kemp an edge I think.

19. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

I feel it's going to be a close race. Kemp is an unknown and Cagle has been in the public eye for years. I have requested a Kemp sign to be placed on my lot since I live in a corner house next to a heavily traveled road. Maybe that will help get the name out there to some that don't know who he is. I haven't seen any of his signs in the areas I travel.

20. GoDores

GoDores Like a Boss

Sure, I know tons of political people who are passionate about Cagle. Certainly more than are passionate about Kemp, although the biggest group is passionate about anyone but Cagle.

But there aren’t enough political insiders to win the election for either. If GOP official/volunteer votes decided elections, Josh McKoon would have come in first in the SOS race and might not have even had a runoff. Instead he didn’t even make the runoff.