Little help please

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Opus X, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Opus X

Opus X Member

My grandfather passed away last March and he left me an old shotgun that the his father, my great-granfather, got him when he was a boy. I need a little help identifying the manufacturer.

On the butt of the stock there is a logo that looks like an H superimposed over an R, and underneath the logo it states Arms Co. Do you think this is a Harrington & Richardson? I looked at the current Harrington and Richardson logo and it is H&R, not an H over an R.

I would like to be able to identify this so I can determine how old it is. The serial number is easy to read. There is some script on the side next to the hammer, but it is too worn to read. It is a 16 gauge.

Any thoughts on how to determine how old this is?

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Single shot? I'm assuming so because of the hammer part.

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, that too :lol:

5. Opus X

Opus X Member

Yea, I know. I'll see if I can get some pictures up soon.

I think it is a Harrington & Richardson. The markings on the side seem to say "Bay City", Worcester (sp?), MA USA. I'm going top call H & R customer service tomorrow and see if they can help.

It is a single shot. There are no sights on the barrel. The wood looks to be walnut.

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Well, the new company's name is HR1871. H&R went out of business in 1986 (last location was in Worcester, MA).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H_&_R_Firearms