Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon me if I'm mistaken, but didn't Congress pass the line item veto a few years ago?

Would it not make sense for the President to use it on the war funding bill? It seems to me that it may have been better to veto the withdrawal deadline and the pork spending. That way the soldiers in the field can ge the money they need, and there is no deadline to withdraw or pork spending.

Am I incorrect?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
While I can not confirm I thought it was a no to a line item veto. I believe they do need it!

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just found the answer to my question.

From the Wiki:
The President of the United States was briefly granted this power by the Line Item Veto Act of 1996, passed by Congress in order to control "pork barrel spending" that favors a particular region rather than the nation as a whole. The line-item veto was used 11 times to strike 82 items from the federal budget[2] [3] by President Bill Clinton.

However, U.S. District Court Judge Thomas F. Hogan decided on February 12, 1998, that unilateral amendment or repeal of only parts of statutes violated the U.S. Constitution. This ruling was subsequently affirmed on June 25, 1998, by a 6-3 decision of the Supreme Court of the United States in the case Clinton v. City of New York.

A constitutional amendment to give the President line item veto power has been considered periodically since the Court ruled the 1996 Act unconstitutional.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts