Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping that some one here can help me. I am looking at putting a 4" lift on my 05 TJ. I have two brands in mind but not sure one is Skyjacker the other is made by Zone. Or should I look at other brands. I was wanting to keep it in the $500-$800 range. It will be light wheeling and a DD.
Thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
Lots of extra things to address at 4 inches and that price point.

What size tires do you plan on using? Is your TJ an unlimited model or SWB and is a Rubicon or other model? What front axle do you have if it is a non-Rubicon and what gear ratio?

For your stated use and for tires up to 35 I might recommend:

OME HD 2.5in Lift with an adjustable front trackbar

JKS 1.25in body lift with JKS 1in motor mount lift

I'm a zero fan of body lifts over the 1.25in, but on the TJ it allows other options and isn't a issue. The motor mount lift, helps with driveline angle, specifically with the OME 2.5 lift it works great and also eliminates the need to adjust the radiator and fixes any issues with the shifter/boot if your TJ is a manual.

At a minimum I would look at extended front brake lines.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddetail ... -25-HDLIFT

Dave at NR4X4 is awesome and runs packages for most things like this if you call. Also that would keep you more within your price range and stated purpose.

Typically anything over 2.5-3 inches opens new and exciting cans of worms.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to run a 33x12.50 or 13.50 /r15
it is an 05 X with a 6 speed manual
30/35 f/r axles with 3.07 gears (one day i will put a SYE and a d44 in the rear)
I did not want to do any body lift right now maybe later with some 35's

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think that I am going to get a 3" Zone with a 1.25" BL and 1" MML. After thinking about it I would rather have a BL than drop my T-Case 2" until I get a SYE.
Plus the BL will allow me to raise the gas tank and do a TT easier later :wink:

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have an 04 Rubicon with a 3.25in lift from rough country. I'm running 33's on mine with an auto. With a 4in lift you need an sye and rear drive shaft. Until you get a rear D44 I wouldn't put 35's on there bc you risk breaking it easily.

Might wanna check the axle ratio. Can't be a 3.07 because that should be with an automatic.

I have no problem with my rough country lift. Did it myself. Rough country has 10% off lifts from them if you mention a jeep forum discount.

Give me a shout if you wanna.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mortalis said:
I have an 04 Rubicon with a 3.25in lift from rough country. I'm running 33's on mine with an auto. With a 4in lift you need an sye and rear drive shaft. Until you get a rear D44 I wouldn't put 35's on there bc you risk breaking it easily.

Might wanna check the axle ratio. Can't be a 3.07 because that should be with an automatic.

I have no problem with my rough country lift. Did it myself. Rough country has 10% off lifts from them if you mention a jeep forum discount.

I checked the front axle tag and it says 3.07. I am only wanting 33's. I plan on the SYE and D44 swap in about a year.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Pretty much what Hawkdriver said... However I've put a 4" skyjacker and 33's on a 99 TJ without any problems with driveline angles but I did replace brake lines all around. I've also had a 96 xj with an 8" skyjacker kit (had the SYE kit and Driveshafts) w/ the 1" Tcase drop and will say that the drop works well for what it is - Cheap and easy to install.

Do some research on the Jeep forums... there's tons of info out there on what works and what doesnt.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Re: Re: lifts

a_springfield said:
Mortalis said:

I checked the front axle tag and it says 3.07. I am only wanting 33's. I plan on the SYE and D44 swap in about a year.
It might suck with that ratio. If your coming from stock size gas will drop a good bit. Don't forget to get the computer recalibrated after changing tire sizes.

Look up a gear ratio to tire size rpm chart. Tell you about what you will be doing.

I'm running a t-case drop for now until I do a sye. Wanna gain back clearance in the center again.

What tires u wanting to run. I know u said 33's but which ones.

·
Registered
301 Posts
a_springfield said:
I think that I am going to get a 3" Zone with a 1.25" BL and 1" MML. After thinking about it I would rather have a BL than drop my T-Case 2" until I get a SYE.
Plus the BL will allow me to raise the gas tank and do a TT easier later :wink:
I ran my recommended lift to you on my 04 TJ (OME w/JKS BL/MML). It allowed me to raise the gas tank, install the Nth TT and still maintain near stock angles on my running drivetrain. I also stayed with 33X10.5 and ran it all over the country like that. If I didn't want to run something with a longer wheelbase and more room inside for expedition type wheeling I would still have it.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Re: lifts

Mortalis said:
What tires u wanting to run. I know u said 33's but which ones.
I am still deciding between the Cooper SST, Pro Comp MT, and a few other brands.
Will the Pro Comps last very long on the road?

Hawkdriver
that is about the look I was looking for but with a wider tire. Was there a reason you stayed with the 10.50? Less float, or hydroplaning concerns?

·
Registered
106 Posts
IMO - stay away from Pro Comp. I've had a set of 33x12.50M/T's and they're loud on the highway and wear quickly. I'm currently running a set of BFG M/T's and they're much quieter and seem to wear better than the P.C...

Hawkdriver - Thats a nice setup. The 10.50's look perfect... What are you driving now?

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
That set up looks spot on!

Might look at Firestone Destination M/T.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I went with a 10.5 so there was less or no rub with the stock rims, less weight until I had upgraded gears and most of all, I liked the way the looked better than wider 33's proportionally. I would run 35's on 12.5 and the same for 37's.

I'm partial to the new BFG MT KM2's. Awesome tire and much improved sidewall protection over the original MT's that were in that picture with my TJ. They did however last much longer than I ever expected through some serious rock. The same old style MT's that came stock on my JK in 08 had sidewall slices from rock withing the first 300 miles of owning it. So I replaced those with the newer KM2's early on. You need to rotate often, but they are wearing great and tread life is excellent.

I also like the new Goodyear MT/R Kevlar. I most likely will try them out in 35's on my JK this coming time around. I have KM2's on there now.

Ive seen the Firestones Destination M/T also do very well over the years.

Auburn, I am running an 08 JK unlimited Rubicon now. Not to much done to it due to deployments, work and money over the last couple years. I do get out and wheel, but not like I want too due to the same constraints.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
what amount of BS would i need for the 33x12.50/r15.
every thing i find says 3.5-4.5. I dont want to order wheels and then have to use spacers.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I ordered my lift today :D I got the RC 3.25" suspension with 1.25" BL and 1" MML. $502 shipped thanks to the JF discount :wink: . all that I need now is money for the tires.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts