Licensing fees

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by bae984, Sep 27, 2010.

1. bae984

bae984 New Member

I let my license expire (oops...hard to believe it's been five years) and was looking at my new counties info (Effingham), and wow has it gotten expensive ($70+$8). The first time round it sure seemed cheap. What's the story on the fees? Legislature says $30+$5, but from my searches it seems nobody questions the jacked up prices, so what's the reason for this little card costing so much?

First time through it was cheap and took 2 hours to get the license...

2. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

The legislature passed a law, the governor signed it, that is why.

3. bae984

bae984 New Member

Awesome.

Law says $30, County says $70. I can't figure why. Administrative fees?

4. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

I was just looking at Bartow's probate court page and remarked the very same thing. 2 years ago it was ~$47, now it is $75. I think that the additional cost comes from "other sums"

Reference: O.C.G.A 15-9-60

So they can get $30 for simply processing the paperwork for your GWL, however they are also authorized to collect money to pay the GBI for their part of the process, and additionally for the fingerprinting process.

5. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Worth your $15 membership to GeorgiaCarry.org ? Every cent goes to lobbying for better legislation. There are no paid employees in GCO. Under attack this year should be the need for a license at all! Grassroots, Georgia bred, and country fed. What more do you want in a 2A organization. The NRA has fought against every good legislation we've fought for.

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

All counies had an increase in license fees about a year and a half ago because the GBI raised their rates. There were several threads about this when it happened and SheriffO confirmed it.

7. bae984

bae984 New Member

Thanks for the informative responses. I do check in occasionally but must've missed the discussion on GBI fees awhile back. I'll have to dig a bit more on that...

8. JMan

JMan New Member

correct I think GBI gets 30 ish bucks , then finger printing, and filing etc..

henry county was 75 bucks

9. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

$5 prints
    $30 probate
    $40 GBI
    $3 mental health check (optional probate action)
    --------
    $75 or $78

Prints, probate, and mental health are coded in law, GBI sets their price.