License to Kill, by John Lott

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Malum Prohibitum, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

The Violence Policy Center published a "study" about how dangerous Texas firearms licensees are to the public. John Lott responds!

Licensed to Kill

Georgia does not have a cetral licensing system, so I am unaware of any statistics for Georgia.

Lott's article compares licenseees to the public at large. I would like to see two additional pieces of information. First, compare licensees to the non-licensees, since the public at large includes the licensees.

Second, I thought I saw an article somwhere comparing licensees to police officers. I sure would like to find that one again . . .

2. Manwell

Manwell New Member

The conclusion of the article is not surprising to me. For the most part, the good guys are the ones applying for the permits to begin with and if they have a sorted past they may not even be eligible. I’m no expert on crime statistics and don’t even claim to be on TV, but it seems to me that the bad guys commit crime over and over…

Manwell

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I caught an interview with Lott on C-SPAN this weekend that was a re-broadcast from 2004.

He said something about Gun control laws that I had not thought much of before. A side benifit of loosening gun control laws (or not passing the laws in the first place) are the police man-hours and moneys freed to go after the criminals.

So the laws passed to reduce gun violence do not end up reducing it because they are targeting a small group of criminals. However because of the large numbers of guns held by law abiding, the effort to combate those small number of criminals means that tremendous time and money are spent regulating and enforcing those laws.

Example he gave was the ballistic fingerprint database in NY. Thousands of man hours and millions of dollars spent, and not one criminal caught. If that money and time were spent going after gangs, how many crimes would have been prevented?