License seized for Renewal in Chatham County

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Harbinger, Nov 14, 2017 at 2:46 PM.

1. Harbinger

Harbinger New Member

I just renewed my license in Chatham County,Ga, and was told I had to surrender my existing license to get the temp permit. However, OCGA 16-11-129(i), part 4 states for it to be valid they have to be together to be valid. Did the probate court just cause me to commit a crime to carry with only the temp permit, and will FFL's consider the temp valid without the actual license?

2. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

"(4)During its period of validity the temporary renewal license, if carried on or about the holder's person together with the holder's previous license shall be valid in the same manner and for the same purposes as a five-year license."

Bold mine. Looks like you are right.

3. Harbinger

Harbinger New Member

They called me back and admitted they read law wrong. thats a first. asked them if I buy a gun from an FFL and they dont run me through NCIS and BATF says permit is invalid, would the FFL be charged with a Federal crime and have his business seized if the court was wrong. If so, would they clear it up with the Feds? 8 minutes later I was told my license would be returned to me. I had even contacted Ga Attorney General to see if they had an opinion. Told me I was first on that one. It's cleared up now without a doubt.

4. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

Good to hear. The Chatham County probate court is in the process of learning everything over again. It is very painful.