Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I was curious about this law so I did a search on it.

40-8-23.
(a) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer manufactured prior to January 1, 1954, shall be equipped with at least one taillight mounted on the rear, which when lighted as required in this article shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear.
(b) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer manufactured after January 1, 1954, shall be equipped with two taillights which meet the specifications provided in this Code section.
(c) Every taillight upon every vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than 60 inches nor less than 20 inches, to be measured as set forth in subsection (b) of Code Section 40-8-21.
(d) Either a taillight or a separate light shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible from a distance of 50 feet to the rear. Any taillight or taillights, together with any separate light for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be so wired as to be lighted whenever the headlights or auxiliary driving lights are lighted.
(e) All lenses on taillights shall be maintained in good repair and shall meet manufacturers´ specifications.
My question, however, is what is the punishment for failing to meet these laws? I cannot find one in the code.

·
Registered
9,075 Posts
Jonas Salk said:
Okay, I was curious about this law so I did a search on it.

40-8-23.
(a) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer manufactured prior to January 1, 1954, shall be equipped with at least one taillight mounted on the rear, which when lighted as required in this article shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear.
(b) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer manufactured after January 1, 1954, shall be equipped with two taillights which meet the specifications provided in this Code section.
(c) Every taillight upon every vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than 60 inches nor less than 20 inches, to be measured as set forth in subsection (b) of Code Section 40-8-21.
(d) Either a taillight or a separate light shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible from a distance of 50 feet to the rear. Any taillight or taillights, together with any separate light for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be so wired as to be lighted whenever the headlights or auxiliary driving lights are lighted.
(e) All lenses on taillights shall be maintained in good repair and shall meet manufacturers´ specifications.
My question, however, is what is the punishment for failing to meet these laws? I cannot find one in the code.
Typically no enumerated punishment would mean a misdemeanor; thus, the max would be $1k fine/12 months. I don't have my chart handy to verify that the quoted code section is the one cited for tag lights though.

·
Liver Abuser
1,061 Posts
It gives the LEO(s) an excuse to pull you over and completely ruin your day.

BTDT. These days all lights are checked daily. Only time I have been stoppped for this was in 2001 . Was pulled over at 0330 (Work shift ended at 0300) in Belmont Shore, Long Beach, CA for not having a license plate light. LEO's approached with WEAPONS DRAWN and proceeded to completely ****-with both occupants for the next half-hour. Nevermind the fact that that both ID's were for our address less than two blocks away from where we were stopped.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Technically, that law section requires it to be wired so as to be wired whenever the lights are on. However, who would know? As long as it's lit, there's no way to tell if its wired in or not.

·
Administrator
7,176 Posts
Lightning Cg artwork Poster Darkness Graphics

·
Man of Myth and Legend
16,838 Posts
Thats a good'un. I shall add it to my collection.

Nemo

Flash photography Organism Poster Cg artwork Entertainment

This one ain't bad but a bit lacking with the level stuff.

Poster Font Fictional character Action film Event

·
Man of Myth and Legend
16,838 Posts
And with this place AVIF-ing the pics, its helpful to have the below link.

Nemo

Reactions: AtlPhilip
1 - 9 of 9 Posts