License information, Public or private

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Gunstar1, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I have a question regarding the information on licensees. Is the information the probate court has on licensees public or private? Any restrictions on who can obtain the info?

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I have been wondeing about that ever since I saw the post on packing .org, but I haven't had time to research it.

I can tell you where to find the answer, though. Look at the Open Records Act, a collection of Georgia statutes that basically provides that all government records are open upon except what is listed as off limits. There, you will find your answer.

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

ok so it is somewhere in OCGA 50-18-70 thru 50-18-76,

lets see if I can get through this without a headache or getting confused.

4. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Found it: 50-18-72
    (d) This article shall not be applicable to any application submitted to or any permanent records maintained by a judge of the probate court pursuant to Code Section 16-11-129, relating to licenses to carry pistols or revolvers, or pursuant to any other requirement for maintaining records relative to the possession of firearms. This subsection shall not preclude law enforcement agencies from obtaining records relating to licensing and possession of firearms as provided by law.

So, they are private except to a Law enforcement agency's specific request.

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

We finally found a section of Ga Code we don't have to change. :)

6. Malum Prohibitum

Did you give this info to the guy gathering the info over at packing?

7. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

posted it and put the info in the new yes/no box Mark created.

8. wa4phy

wa4phy New Member

I just applied for my GFL on 18 April, and while in the probate office, I asked one of the girls working there if there were any public statistics on the number of licenses issued for Columbia county. She said no, but also went on to say the Augusta Chronicle had done an article on the number of licenses applied for / issued, which led me to believe the records were public. I suppose by agreeing to a NDS, the paper could get just numbers and not names to be published. I have not yet searched the paper's archived articles, as they want too much personal information to "join" their website, which I refuse to give. While on the subject, Columbia county scanned my prints, and the young lady I was dealing with said they would contact me within 30 days to come back and complete the 2nd part of the application. I'm wondering now, what else is left, especially after reading so many posts here about the process. The ladies at the probate office were very nice and polite. I was really amazed and expected a bunch of hassled old grouches to deal with!

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Totals are ok. They can not print your name and address as some other states allow (Ohio for one).

10. Malum Prohibitum

Did they require that you disclose your social security number?