Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_159164139.html

(AP) Anoka, Minn. Anoka County authorities have released without charges a man suspected of shooting and wounding an undercover Robbinsdale police officer.

Martin Treptow, 35, says he fired to protect his wife and two toddlers inside the family SUV.

The Anoka County attorney's office says Treptow was released after Thursday's incident in **** Rapids, but the investigation was ongoing.

**** Rapids police say Treptow and a 27-year old officer in an unmarked car got into a dispute on the road. After angry words and gestures, Treptow pulled his SUV up to the driver side of the other car, stopped at a light. Treptow says as the driver got out of his, he pulled out a weapon.

"We're about three feet away from each other and he's pointing the gun at my wife, so it was a tough situation, where I couldn't drive away at that particular moment, I had to defend my family," Treptow said.

Treptow says the man was in street clothes and never identified himself as a police officer. With his wife in the passenger seat, Treptow fired three shots at the officer, hitting him in both legs and grazing his arm.

The 27-year-old officer was treated and released at a Minneapolis hospital for wounds to his legs and arm.

The man's two children were also in the vehicle at the time. He had a permit to carry a weapon.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
Yet another cop whose badge has gone to his head. Maybe they need to spend a week in the academy reminding them that it is law ENFORCEMENT.

·
Banned
6,624 Posts
Was not the man with his family at fault as well for getting into a dispute on the road? It takes two to tango, right? But the UC LEO went that extra step and pulled his weapon. I'd like to hear the details on this one.

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
http://www.twincities.com/localnews/ci_ ... ck_check=1

Treptow has a license to carry and conceal a gun, Snell said, and according to family he worked as a security guard for six years. He has no known criminal history in Minnesota, beyond a single traffic incident more than a decade ago, according to police and court records.

"We've got a renegade cop from Robbinsdale, and I'm pissed," said Martin J. Treptow, the suspect's father. "We want answers. We're getting runaround treatment."

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AV8R said:
Was not the man with his family at fault as well for getting into a dispute on the road? It takes two to tango, right?
Well, here is a third hand report delivered by a biased witness, from the last link.
The older Treptow said that, according to his daughter-in-law Rebecca, the officer was tailgating them closely. His son stopped because the car in front of him was pulling into a strip mall.

At some point, the officer pulled onto the shoulder, and Treptow honked, his father said. The officer stopped his car, "pulls a gun out and pointed it in my daughter-in-law's face," the suspect's father said.

"What was my son supposed to do?" Treptow asked. "People have a right to protect themselves and their family."

Nearby residents and drivers heard the shots and yelling.

Cory Alsaker and his roommate were in their apartment when they heard a gunshot. They went to the window and saw a man lying on the shoulder, both legs bleeding.

"It looked like he was shot across both kneecaps," Alsaker said.

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In case anybody is wondering, the cop is "doing well," but check out the Chief's comments.

Robbinsdale Police Chief Wayne Shellum said outside the hospital that his officer was doing well, the Associated Press reported.

"He's in good spirits, and he looked at me and said, 'Geez,' he says, 'I'm sorry, Chief.' And I went, 'Hey, it's not your fault, you're doing your job, you're doing what you're paid to do.' "

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[Ok, Lets get some facts stright here. My husband and I were minding our own when the person started driving careless riding on shoulders and cutting off other vehicles, all my husband did was honk the horn. The cop then cut us off, so my husband flicked him off, we continued, the "cop" drove on the shoulder and we pasted him, we had to stop for the street light and other vehicles that were in front of us, so there was no way to leave the situation. The "cop" pulled his weapon first on me after he said that is how people get hurt! My husband drew his weapon second in self defense. My husband has a gun permit and has had it for for a decade. He is the most level headed man you can met, he is a highly regarded person. The "cop" pulled his weapon first, I turned to my husband as I yelled gun and my husband did what any rational guy would do, and he protected his family. This "cop" said that this is how people get hurt (preferring to my husband honking and flicking him off) he reached for and pulled his weapon which by the looks of it was a glock. When his weapon came out and we couldn't get get a way my husband fired in SELF DEFENSE. yes, my children witnessed this and have told authorities that she seen the "cop" pull his weapon first. From the grapevine at school Robinsdale police have an unethical reputation, and I hold this opinion as well. For fun here lets look at something...IF, IF my husband pulled his weapon first, which he did not, but if he did why did the officer not shoot. There was really no yelling, it may have been louder at times when all three of talked at once but most defiantly there was not yelling. And for everyone calling my husband names do realize that my oldest hears it and she has every right to knows what happens with her dad. This case against my husband will be dismissed and the story will come out as this inexperienced officer who let his power and badge get to his head.]

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
In case anybody is wondering, the cop is "doing well," but check out the Chief's comments.

Robbinsdale Police Chief Wayne Shellum said outside the hospital that his officer was doing well, the Associated Press reported.

"He's in good spirits, and he looked at me and said, 'Geez,' he says, 'I'm sorry, Chief.' And I went, 'Hey, it's not your fault, you're doing your job, you're doing what you're paid to do.' "
"...you're doing what you're paid to do" .... hmmm, paid to pull a weapon on another individual because you got mad? I didn't know that was a valid reason to pull a firearm.

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
According to video, officer is claiming that he identified himself as a police officer and the other guy pulled his gun first.

·
Registered
9,075 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:

Now that is downright disappointing.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts