Liberty Co Probate court!! AHH!!

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Recon4Life2, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Recon4Life2

Recon4Life2 Guest

So I stopped in to check on my GFL, they told me the law has "changed" mid way through and that it's no longer 60 days, and now 4 months!! AHHH!!! :evil: :evil:

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

You might ask them which law? OCGA 16-11-129(d), which contains the requirement that they issue a license not later than 60 days, has not changed at all.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Well, that is not entirely accurate, but the 60 day requirement is unchanged by the law going into effect July 1.

This is the new subsection (re-numbered (d)(4))

(4) The law enforcement agency shall notify the judge of the probate court within 50 days, by telephone and in writing, of any findings relating to the applicant which may bear on his or her eligibility for a license or renewal license under the terms of this Code section. When no derogatory information is found on the applicant bearing on his or her eligibility to obtain a license or renewal license, a report shall not be required. The law enforcement agency shall return the application and the blank license form with the fingerprint thereon directly to the judge of the probate court within such time period. Not later than 60 days after the date of the application the judge of the probate court shall issue the applicant a license or renewal license to carry any pistol or revolver if no facts establishing ineligibility have been reported and if the judge determines the applicant has met all the qualifications, is of good moral character, and has complied with all the requirements contained in this Code section.

Seems pretty clear to me. Where does the four months come from again?

4. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

:bsflag:
    The law changes July 1st. The only major change for first timers is being able to pass a NICS check. That does not take an extra 2 months... 2 minutes maybe.

Renewals will take longer, but there is still a 60 day limit on either first time or renewal. They are lying to you.

5. Recon4Life2

Recon4Life2 Guest

I'm not sure where the extra 2 months comes from. I'm going to go in again tomorrow after I get off of work, and find out where they're getting they're info from. Thanks again everyone..

6. Malum Prohibitum

Bring a copy of the statute!

Bring a copy of this thread! :D

But be very polite and respectful, as it is a court and a judge, after all, so act like it (I am sure you are, I just wanted to post a reminder).

7. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

And, remind them that it's LIBERTY County. Doesn't the name count for anything?

8. Malum Prohibitum

:rotfl:

9. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Ask the folks from BUTTS county! :lol:

10. Recon4Life2

Recon4Life2 Guest

ROUND 2

Okay here's the follow up, which you all will LOVE :!: :!: So I stopped in after I got of work today, with a copy of OCGA 16-11-129 and this is what was explained to me. First of all, they will NOT issue a license UNTILL they get the reports back from GCIC and te FBI. [-X "Even though you LOOK like a respectable person, you could have killed someone. And if we issue you your GFL and you kill someone again..it would look bad on US. So we won't issue it until we get back a report." And the part you guys will love the most..I asked, well what about what OCGA 16-11-129 says..and her response was....WE DON'T FOLLOW GA LAW, WE DO WHAT THE FBI INSTRUCTS US TO DO ON ISSUEING THE GFL. :shock: No lie..that's what she said!!! So I'm not sure what to do from here. any ideas??

11. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Recon4life2, when did you apply?

12. Recon4Life2

Recon4Life2 Guest

April 6th, is when I appplied...oh yeah..she did have the local PD's report back on me..but that wasn't good enough.. :roll:

13. Malum Prohibitum

Re: ROUND 2

Oh, that is classic!

14. Malum Prohibitum

Well, that is all she gets . . .

:evil:

In plain english, the provision above, as I read it, says that the law enforcement agency (Sheriff) will report within 50 days if any derogatory info is found. If no derogatory info is found, then no report is required. Regardless, the judge must issue within 60 days of the date of application, unless there is derogatory information.

Am I misreading it?

Somebody have a different opinion?

15. Malum Prohibitum

16. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Liberty County is adjacent to Chatham County (home of Savannah)

17. Malum Prohibitum

Anybody?

I mean, I know I am biased. Is there a voice of reason to set me straight on my biased interpretation? Is there something plain in front of my nose that I am missing?

We don't follow Georgia law . . . :lol: Oh, why am I laughing? :cry:

18. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

MP, why are you looking for a voice of reason on this board? :lol:

I think you're right, except the local agency might not have been the sheriff (it could be Hinesville PD, so something like that). But, whatever the agency was, that's who the law says is supposed to respond in 50 days.

As for doing what the FBI says to do, well, who died and put the FBI in charge of the probate court?

19. Malum Prohibitum

When my torts professor was going on and on about how the "reasonable" "normal" "average" person never takes an SUV off road, I raised my hand and calmly explained that I took my Jeep (2 wheel drive!) off road all the time.

His eyes bugged out, and he exclaimed, "I said the average person, Ed! The average person does not pack heat!"

The class laughed.

I drive my Saturn car off road, too. You would be shocked at the stuff that car can get through. It does better than the Jeep (except ground clearance).

I guess Saturn wasn't planning on that!