Liberalism is a birth defect

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by drtybykr, Oct 28, 2010.

1. drtybykr

drtybykr New Member

2. mb90535im

mb90535im Well-Known Member

That's funny, because I've always thought conservatism was a birth defect. Isn't the human mind is designed to think forward and come up with new ideas?

Conservatives think backwards and wish things were like they were years ago. Seems backasswards to me.

3. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

And liberals by definition play fast and loose with the rules and the truth. Rules that are always changing according to what is "convenient" only means that there are no rules at all.

4. mb90535im

I thought conservatives exhibit more of the "ends justify the means" mentality when it comes to rules.

[​IMG]

5. Fallschirmjäger

Funny, about two centuries ago there were these forward thinkers who threw off the rule of a Monarchical government and established a country established on the ideas of freedom and liberty. Conservatives seem to want to go back to that, Liberals apparently want to "move beyond" that.

6. drtybykr

drtybykr New Member

The proof is in the pudding. :shattered:

7. Hock25

Hock25 New Member

A liberal will show inconsistencies in thought and hypocrisy in ethics, very early in any debate. They may as well tattoo their foreheads with "liberal.

8. mb90535im

Do you think it was conservative thinking that brought about an end to slavery, voting rights for women, civil rights for backs, end of alcohol prohibition, and advances in science and medicine? I don't think so.

9. AV8R

AV8R Banned

And certainly not the New Dealâ„¢, affirmative action, medicaid, forced healthcare...

10. Hock25

Hock25 New Member

Liberals freak out over killing bad guys who need killing, but then kill wee babies, including support of "post-birth" abortions for hellions up to two years of age. There is really no where for you(or other liberals) to go from there. Game over.

11. mb90535im

I consider myself rather liberal minded and fully support capital punishment and surprise, surprise, I support the 2nd Amendment too.

As for the hellions comment - :screwy:

12. Hock25

Hock25 New Member

How's that? You didn't know you had those folks in your camp? Aw. Darn.

13. drtybykr

drtybykr New Member

What do you think about unlicensed open carry?

14. Fallschirmjäger

Slavery ... President Abraham Lincoln, Republican party.
    Women's suffrage... Signed into law by President Woodrow Wilson, Democrat Party.

Civil Rights Act....
    House of Representatives
    .....Democrat Party voted 63% FOR and 37% AGAINST
    .....Republican Party voted 80% FOR and 20% AGAINST
    Senate voted 73 to 27 in Favor of the Amendment with Twenty-One Democrats voting AGAINST versus Six Republican votes AGAINST

Prohibition
    Both Democrat Incumbent President Wilson and challenger Charles Hughes ignored the Prohibition issue. In the House and Senate "drys" outnumbered "wets" by 140/64 Democrat and 138/62 Republican, statistically insignificant. Prohibition was passed over President Wilson's veto.
    Repeal of Prohibition, ratified in December 1953 and signed into law by ..... nobody. The 21st Amendment was ratified by state conventions under Article V of the Constitution.

I probably wouldn't have chosen Slavery or Civil Rights to illustrate Liberal/Democrat values .... but that's just me.

15. mb90535im

I believe requiring a license to exercise a constitutional right (OC or CC) is unconstitutional.

What do you think about Civil Rights?

16. mb90535im

Democrat has not always equaled liberal, especially with regard to the southern Democrats, Dixiecrats at heart for the most part. (They're what we call southern Republicans now). Most of these conservative southern Democrats fought against passage of Civil Rights legislation tooth and nail.

Remember, we're discussing conservatives and liberals, not Democrats and Republicans.

17. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

You are wasting your breath. You aren't going to cause any change in anyone's view. So stop it now you troll.
    Threads like this are pep rallies in a community where 98% of members are conservative and only serve to reassure one another. Kind of like yelling "Nikon Sucks" on a cannon forum.
    Pretty good place to keep abreast of Ga gun laws.

18. dunkel

dunkel New Member

If you've ever spent any time around kids, you'd know they don't like change. Routines are comfortable. The same Thomas the Train episode three times in a row? Yes sir!

19. mb90535im

I know, but gosh, is telling me to stop and calling me a troll a liberal thing or a conservative thing?

Just pointing out that liberal forward thinking has brought about many good changes in our country and that as odd as it seems one can be liberal minded and still support the Constitution, even the 2nd Amendment.

In the couple of years since I first became a member here, I bet the "Liberalism is a Birth Defect" thread topic has come up at least a dozen times. I didn't have anything else going on this evening, so I felt moved to reply.

Sorry if I rattled anyone's stereotypical beliefs.

20. politenessman

politenessman Active Member

The problem with this type of discussion is the way the labels are used.
    Liberal and democrat, conservative and republican are not the same animals and in their historic context, modern liberals are no where near the liberals of old (classic liberals)

For instance, my wife calls herself liberal, but when you talk to her you'll discover that she is a classical liberal, not a modern day progressive - she is pro liberty, a gun owner, very much in favor of personal responsibility.

As a people we need to get past the labels, until we do, we won't solve anything.