Lewis Co DA Says I-1639 Is Unenforceable

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

I have many co-workers in WA state who are very upset about this measure. Everything stinks, from the fraudulent signature gathering to the misworded title to the billionaire funding. And the courts went along with everything. Do not expect the courts to rule according to the actual law.

2. StarJack

StarJack Well Aged Member

Lewis County Sheriff's DEPARTMENT eh? Stupid reporter! :shattered:

The Lewis County Sheriff's Office issued the following statement on Fartbook in November, "We have received a lot of inquiries after the passing of I-1639. Sheriff Snaza and his office are supporters of the US Constitution, to include the second amendment. The Lewis County Sheriff's Office supports responsible firearms ownership. We as an office have put on free public firearms safety training, as well as provided public talks on the use of force and firearms ownership. We are aware there have been legal challenges to I-1639 and will wait for the courts to rule on their constitutionality. As with previous firearm initiatives, such as I-594, we will address potential criminal violations as they arise through the course of an investigation, but will not actively seek out violations."

3. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Don't forget that I-1639 was a ballot initiative, not legislation, that had millions of dollars thrown at it by the Seattle elite. Ambiguous details and lots of money will get most anything passed by uninformed stupid voters.

Kudos to the towns and agencies that are trying to resist it.

4. jmorriss

jmorriss Active Member

I have no doubt Oregon will attempt something similar now that Kate has been reelected and there is a Dem majority throughout the state levels of government.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

6. jmorriss

jmorriss Active Member

And some of these passed but what is to stop the state police from enforcing? Historically haven't these state and county 2nd amendment measures been feel good? We barely kept an assault weapons registration/ban bill off the ballot this year.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

That would be a difficult thing for me to predict, jmorriss. Sometimes, however, having enough local governments say they are opposed will stop something.

But come on, this is a state where it is legal to carry into elementary schools.

It has its issues, and maybe more will come in the future, but I am just pointing out that it really is not the same as its neighbor to the north, or the south, for that matter.