Levi Strauss Stores

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by UtiPossidetis, Dec 1, 2016.

1. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Levi Strauss & Co. CEO Chip Bergh is posting an open letter to customers, asking law-abiding citizens to refrain from bringing their concealed carry firearms into Levi Strauss stores.

Same old bs about wanting a safe environment. Yada yada yada.

2. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

At least he phrased it as a request and not an outright ban.

http://fortune.com/2016/11/30/levis-guns/

Little does he know! :lol:

3. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

At least the letter was prompted by something more than just currying favor with BlooMDA.

:roll: rifle-toting men? seriously? Without this letter, Levi's will face an onslaught of customer's strapped with AR-15s?

4. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Request is fine but seriously, it's completely safe to go to a mall and just try on jeans

5. johnski

johnski Well-Known Member

I carry regardless of requests or bans.

6. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

Me too. I carry my rear end down the street to another store.

7. codegeek

codegeek codegeek reincarnate

I'm rather enjoying these comfortable jeans I bought at Cabelas. Heck, I don't even need to leave my house to get jeans anymore.

8. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

This CEO's message makes it clear what anti-gun businesses fear the most: negligent discharges from lawful carriers. They don't fear armed criminals nearly as much.

I wonder if the Orlando Pulse Nightclub still fears lawful carriers more than criminal ones?

9. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

In the mind of the liberal, there is no such thing as a lawful carrier.

10. Phil1979

Leftists do have that projection thing down pretty well. They feel that a lawful carrier is a hair away from snapping and blowing everyone away.

This justifies their fear and bigotry of those who carry a firearm for self-defense. All the while in their minds they know they are hypocrites for hoping they never have to face an armed attacker while unarmed.

Their "high ground" is something they can wave all around to prove their "bravery" of going about unarmed, while whistling in the dark and hoping that crime happens to someone else.

They believe if they can get the government to disarm the people at gun-point, "gun crime" will disappear and they won't have to pretend anymore, they can stop their whistling.

Okay, I just copied and pasted this to save for a future blog article. :lol:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
  11. Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc Well-Known Member

What Phil wrote explains a lot about anti-gun zealots. I have tried to articulate it in the past to "neutral" people, but I can't get it quite right. They think if everyone is disarmed, then the rate of violent crime will be distributed more evenly through society, thus making everyone's risk lower. It is one thing to refuse to arm oneself, but it is immoral to insist that everyone disarm so that they feel safer.

In Watership Down, the rabbits of Cowslip's warren were fat and happy because a farmer fed them. They just didn't talk about how rabbits would go missing on a regular basis. That is a similar mentality.

12. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Well, I disagree with Levis's decision, but it was not just prompted by fear of gun-toters being bad guys who snap.

Some of us "good guys" are, in fact, untrained and incompetent idiots with inadequate gun safety awareness and habits.
    Accidental discharges are real, and so are guns left in changing rooms, guns grabbed by kids digging through Mom's
    purse, guns left on the toilet tissue dispenser at the mall bathroom...

And we've all seen vids and pics of the "open carry" nuts marching around the mall with front-slung assault rifles and combat shotguns. Does a business want to be a possible venue for such attention-whoring.

a few bad apples in the gun owners' barrel is making the whole barrel stink of rot.

13. moe mensale

14. hammerg26

hammerg26 Member

Well said.

15. Phil1979

Fair enough, gunsmoker. I feel like a bit of a doofus. :)

I did not purposely try to tie my article directly to Levi Strauss. I believe the CEO has a genuine concern about negligent discharges in his store, while still hating his anti-gun stance. Freedom will always have risks, and I can accept the trade of rare negligent discharges against the bulwark of armed citizens to help lessen the damage of criminals intent on murder.

What happened was I saw Dawgdoc's use of the term, anti-gun zealot, and decided to write about that in general. My idiot mistake was posting the link to my article in the same thread. Doh! :lol:

QUOTE=gunsmoker;2875064]Well, I disagree with Levis's decision, but it was not just prompted by fear of gun-toters being bad guys who snap.

Some of us "good guys" are, in fact, untrained and incompetent idiots with inadequate gun safety awareness and habits.
    Accidental discharges are real, and so are guns left in changing rooms, guns grabbed by kids digging through Mom's
    purse, guns left on the toilet tissue dispenser at the mall bathroom...

And we've all seen vids and pics of the "open carry" nuts marching around the mall with front-slung assault rifles and combat shotguns. Does a business want to be a possible venue for such attention-whoring.

a few bad apples in the gun owners' barrel is making the whole barrel stink of rot.[/QUOTE]

16. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

How broad is your brush?

A little perspective, please. How many "incidents" a year? A few hundred? Thousands?

Let's be extravagant. Five hundred thousand NDs and show-offs with a rifle.

Think there could be that many?

You've just made it up to 1 percent of households with a firearm at -50M. Talk about the 1 percenters, huh?

17. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

If a wooden barrel holds 300 apples, and only 0.3% of them are bad (one single apple), that can make the barrel seem like "a barrel full of spoiled apples." And it can cause a reasonable merchant to reject the shipment, or at least choose to place his next apple order with another orchard.

Anyhow, the point is that while we gun carry advocates can and should be able to carry while we shop at any store, we should realize the store owners who don't want armed customers in the place are not always rabidly, insanely, irrationally prejudiced against gun owners, nor should we assume that they think we'll pull our guns and start a shooting spree when the store tells us that they can't discount the jeans with holes in the knees and seat, because those in fact are premium-priced "distressed" jeans. The kind that cost $120 instead of the usual $95, and the kind your teenage daughter just MUST have!

18. moe mensale

That reminds me I need to pick up some apples at Publix today.

I think you're making way too big of an issue out of this ND crap. Are there any reasonable sources that might show that information on an annual basis? Just based on my daily readings I'd be inclined to posit that the majority of NDs are caused by cops and not civilians. Yet we civilians are made out to be the bad guys here and the cops always get the exceptions by the store owners.

19. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) final report on death statistics for 2013 shows there were 35,369 deaths from motor vehicle accidents versus 505 deaths from the accidental discharge of firearms. Investigation in the past by Life Insurers indicates that the CDC numbers over estimate the number of true accidents in the AD deaths number by including some suicides, druken game playing, and hunting accidents. So, not all 505 involved concealed carry nor were all 505 unintentional.

But even if we take the 505 figure it is still 35,369 versus 505. Americans are 70 times more likely to die in a vehicle accident than by the accidental discharge of a firearm.

Breitbart News reported that CDC numbers for 2010 show that you are 51 times more likely to die from an accidental poisoning than the accidental discharge of a firearm.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016