Letter for Rep. Hank Johnson about gun rights (EBRs).

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by pyromaster, Jul 31, 2007.

1. pyromaster

pyromaster Member

I got a form letter back from Rep. Johnson concerning gun rights that I'd like to share. I've sent him various e-mails from congress.org and scanned through my e-mails but am not sure what exactly he's responding to. Maybe HR 1022? Here's the letter:

I'll e-mail him back and try to point out the difference between semi auto EBRs and what the military has and why the AWB was a joke but I don't know how far it'll get. I must say I find this disappointing and figure I'd share.

-Jeff, who doesn't have 1k in the budget for an EBR in 07 and supposes he needs to buy one in '08 just in case.

2. rajl

rajl New Member

I would point out that if he keeps to his stance, he can count on not receiving your vote in the future. Since his district (which I'm also in) is a Democratic stronghold due to minority gerrymandering, threatening to vote for the Republicans in the next election won't mean anything to him. However, if you threaten to vote for *OTHER DEMOCRATs* running against him in the primary elections, he'd be more likely to listen. The reason he has his seat now is because he won against Cynthia McKinney in the primaries before facing down the Republican candidate.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I think threatening to vote against him simply cuts off any further discussion in the future on related topics.

It will result in nothing positive, and may have negative results when you want to contact him to get his support on something on which he may be sitting on the fence.

4. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Agreed - don't threaten him. Just rally against him and try and get someone better elected. That's the best message you could send him.

5. Sharky

Sharky New Member

+1

6. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

+1

Personally, I'm not at all surprised. This district of DeKalb and probably all of DeKalb is just lost. A bastion of entitlements and improperly placed anger.

7. shamalama

shamalama New Member

Lots of poor folk in fear of gangs. Exactly the people that would benefit from having something other than a 30-year-old Winchester bolt action .22 for self defense.

Can someone describe to me the difference between "assault" and "scary"? :(

8. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

So, if they belong solely in the military, I guess the cops can't have them either?

9. pyromaster

pyromaster Member

Rep Johnson supports HR 1022 :evil:

I got an e-mail from Rep Johnson agreeing with me (???) on HR1022 as well as saying he's a co-sponsor. However, on GovTrackhe isn't listed as one. I admit I've dropped the ball on writing him back but this sure has me motivated. I'll respond electronically and with a hand written letter. Actually, I'll wait until after this weekend when I learn
    "How to Win Friends and Influence Legislation in the General Assembly" :D

Dear Mr. Pyromaster,

Thank you for contacting me to share your views regarding H.R. 1022, the "Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act of 2007". I agree with you wholeheartedly and, as a result, I have co-sponsored this important legislation.

Introduced by Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, the bill would reinstate the assault weapons ban that expired on September 13, 2004. The legislation would place a ten year ban on assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices. The legislation would also revise the definition of a semiautomatic assault weapon to include conversion kits, and directs the United States Attorney General to establish a record of the make, model and date of manufacture of these weapons.

The renewal of the assault weapons law is needed to protect our communities. Some particularly vicious shootings such as the sniper shooting spree in the Washington DC area involved a military-style weapon. Supported by virtually every federal, state and local law enforcement agency, this ban will increase public safety and prevent dangerous weapons from falling into the wrong hands.
    I am always eager to hear your concerns and look forward to working with you in the future. For more information, please visit my office online at HankJohnson.House.gov. Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,
    Hank Johnson

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Re: Rep Johnson supports HR 1022 :evil:

:lol:

11. pro2am

pro2am New Member

So I guess addressing your letter "Dear Rep. Asshat Johnson..." isn't the best approach.

But we'll find out Saturday what is the best approach!

12. pyromaster

pyromaster Member

At least he's not Cynthia McKinney. :D

13. pro2am

pro2am New Member

The one good thing about Cynthia is that she was ineffective and nobody really cared what she said.

14. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I think Bortz or someone similar said that they would love to see Cynthia reelected. Basically because whoever was elected instead of her would have to work hard to do as bad a job as she did.

15. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Re: Rep Johnson supports HR 1022 :evil:

:-s

16. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Boortz is probably where I heard it then. The comment makes sense given her track record.

17. triggerman357

triggerman357 New Member

I still wonder why he got so much GOP support instead of his Republican opponent Catherine Davis :?: