Let's Talk Lube

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by jklotz, Oct 31, 2010.

1. jklotz

jklotz New Member

Sexual jokes and throw the "gun in the dishwasher" aside, what lube do you prefer? Over on the Sig forum, many are proponents of a grease on the slide rails. Anybody using a gun grease? What are the pro's and cons?

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Personally, I use Mobil 1 on internal parts and Slide Glide on slide rails. The only issue that I have ever had with grease, was that a Sig P238 that I used to have would not cycle th eslide with too much grease on it. I quit using the grease, started using Mobil 1 and never again had an issue.

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I think I "should" use some gun grease on certain parts of some of my guns.
    I know they came with grease in some areas.
    But in practice, I don't use grease.
    I use Break Free or Tri-Flow or light household ("3-in-1") oil.
    (That's after cleaning with solvent and/or Gun Scrubber or WD-40) First comes the cleaning, then I dry everything, then I lube as the final step.

4. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

I use a little Ezox on internal parts and then Tetra Gun Grease on the rails of my carry guns. I didn't like finding oil spots on my dress clothes when I was only using oil on everything. I have never had an issue with the Tetra Gun Grease. I don't use a lot.

5. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

I'm a fan of Eezox as well, in spite of it not having a fancy-schmancy label like some of the other lubes. The only real drawback to it is that the only place I've seen it retailed is in Kennesaw and online. After leaving firearms unattended in an outdoor shed for three years and coming back to find without a single speck of corrosion I'm a big fan of it.

Right now, I'm using Mobil 1. I have yet to see any conclusive proof that firing one- or two-thousand rounds between cleanings produces any more carbon deposits than 1- or 2-thousand miles between oil changes in an automobile.

6. samman23

samman23 New Member

I don't think it really matter much as long as you have something on there. If you are storing it then you may want to pick something that is better at rust protection such as eezox or clp.

greases may be good at areas that are high wear, but you want to be careful because they slow things down which can cause other problems.

7. Priest

Priest New Member

I use Gun Butter on my weapons. They have both an oil and a grease. I go by the model of if it rotates it gets oil, if it slides it gets grease. I have had no issues at all since moving to gun butter and lubing in this manner. I have also noticed that even after a long period of no cleaning on a daily carried 1911, I still had good lube everywhere that need it, and no more surface corrosion in my parkerized finish like I had using other products. when using a grease, you have to remember that you want a micro layer, not a big thick layer of material to do the job.

8. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

mostly I use rem oil. Never had a problem

9. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

i picked up some new stuff called Dupont Multi-Use lubricant....ive started using it on the motorcycle chain on my Hayabusa and it keeps it a lot cleaner from the reviews ive read one of the uses listed on the can is firearms

comes in a can like this

[​IMG]

this is a picture of a guys chain after riding 1000 miles in the rain

[​IMG]

10. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

11. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Right now using Tetra Gun Grease on the slide and Tetra Gun Oil on everything else. Never had a problem.

I hear good stuff about slide glide, though. Just haven't bought any yet.

12. ed4

ed4 Active Member

I usually use remoil or wd40 on the ouside and inside and use a very thin coat of Molybdenum Disulfide(moly lude/moly grease) on the rails of my semi-autos and the pin the holds the cylinder on my heritage .22 revolver. Never had an issue.

13. moga

moga New Member

SLiP2000 on long guns. Hoppe's and Rem oils on pistols.

14. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

15. XLInfidel

XLInfidel New Member

I use grease just on the rails. Someone turned me on to Mobil 1 synth grease. You can pick up a 12.5 oz tube for about $8.00 and it'll last you forever. Just put a very thin film on the surfaces that slide against each other. Everywhere else it's Breakfree CLP.

"If it slides, grease it; if it pivots, oil it."

16. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

ATF is OK but keep on reading the article...

"For such things as autoloader slides and rifle bolts, Lubriplate "SFL" NLGI #0 grease is my choice."

17. MesaCranker

MesaCranker Active Member

Tetra Gun Grease on the slide rails and CLP on everything else.

For my AR, I make a concoction of Mobil 1 Synthetic 20w-50 and Mobil 1 Synethic ATF. 2:1 ratio. Good and thick and stays put!

18. moga

moga New Member

How does this hold up after hard use, say 500-1000 rounds? Does the oil/t-fluid cake up after being fouled from carbon? Does cleaning require more effort than when the bolt is lubed with traditional solvents?

19. MesaCranker

MesaCranker Active Member

I have not shot more than 400 rounds at a time with mine, but I have never had to re-oil as opposed to when I used Break Free CLP which was needing a couple shots in the exhaust ports on the carrier every 200 rounds or so. It's also no harder to clean than any other oil. It's just a tad bit thicker than your average gun oil and doesn't "dry up". The ATF does, however, add a slight sulfuric smell to it but it will go away after a couple of days of being on the weapon.

20. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

im really diggin the m-pro 7 oil. i never really liked grease because it seems to get really tacky after a while.