Let's talk about evil black rifles

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Melissa5, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

I'm finally getting ready to purchase an AR15 and am considering this one. Does anyone have experience with it...good or bad?

Daniel Defense DDXV DA20015

# Lower Receiver: Mil-Spec with Enhanced Flared Magazine Well
    # Upper Receiver: Mil-Spec with Indexing Marks and M4 Feed Ramps
    # Barrel: 16? Cold Hammer Forged, Chrome Lined, 1:7 Twist, M4 Profile, M4 Extension
    # Chamber: 5.56 NATO
    # Flash Hider: A2 Birdcage Flash Hider
    # Bolt Carrier Group: Mil-Spec MP Tested, Properly Staked Gas Key
    # Sights: Daniel Defense A1.5 Fixed Rear Sight; Pinned “F†Marked Front Sight Base
    # Buttstock: Mil-Spec M4 Buttstock & Mil-Spec 5 Position Receiver Extension
    # Magazine: MAGPUL 10/30 round PMAG in Black for California compliance
    # Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard
    # Made in the USA!

[​IMG]

2. grumpy

grumpy New Member

I don't believe I've ever heard anything bad about Daniel Defense... That being said, I've never had any personal experience with their complete rifles. (My M4gery has a DD LPK.)

3. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I have a lot of experience with that particular firearm, and I have nothing but good things to say about it. Never had one FTF or FTE, everything functions flawlessly on the weapon. I've put hundreds of rounds through it. Its a good buy in my opinion. DD is a very good company and very good customer service as well.

All parts are also made and assembled right here in Georgia, so you are supporting a Georgia company as well. :righton:

4. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

Re: Let's talk about evil black rifles - Daniel Defense DDXV

That is great to hear, EJR914 and Grumpy! I've got a local store where I can get one for under 1K out the door...matching Bud's price.

5. ARMT Guy

ARMT Guy Ordinary Average Guy

Looks like you got a kick-ass rifle there! :righton:

I don't have any person experience with DD's complete rifles, either, however I'm very pleased with their rail systems that I've installed on a couple of my ARs. Quality stuffs! 8)

I'm far from a barrel/ballistics expert, but you may want to take a little more time in selecting ammo for your new rifle. With a 1/7 twist, this is geared more toward stabilizing heavier bullets, like 62gr and up. 55gr, ( much more commonly found ) will work fine, though the accuracy of some brands in the 55gr range may not be quite as good as what this rifle may be able to do with heavier bullets.

6. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

Thanks, ARMT guy. Speaking of rails, I was debating about getting the slightly upgraded version that has the EZ Carbine rail on the front.

7. EJR914

Re: Let's talk about evil black rifles - Daniel Defense DDXV

Clyde's Armory had them for that about a year ago. I believe it to be a fair price for that quality of a firearm.

8. EJR914

If that is the rail that you want on it, that is what I would buy. If you buy the base model, you can always buy a rail later, after doing some research. It all depends what kind of rail you want on it. Its probably still a good deal and a great price to buy the upgraded M4 with the EZ Carbine rail. It just depends what attachments you want and what kind of rail you will want. :righton:

9. Ashe

Ashe Active Member

I know this is going to sound way out of character for me, but I've been rethinking alot of things about my Carbines lately.

"What do you need the rail for?"

I'm not saying that rails are useless, I've just realized that me, and alot of people were adding gizmos for the sake of having gizmos.

10. EJR914

Most people will not use one attachment to a rail. The only thing that would be useful on an M4 would be a light, if you plan to use it for home defense. That's about it. Other than that, they just add weight to your rifle.

I know plenty of people that don't buy a rail, and I think the M4 looks fine without one, even though rails do make them look more tacti-cool.

There is nothing wrong with a M4, with no rail, and no optic, just open sights. Still a very deadly weapon and great for target shooting.

11. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

I don't particularly need the rail for anything, but for $49 more, it seemed like a good deal. If I later wanted to add the DD EZ Carbine rail it would cost over $165 ordered from DD.

12. Ashe

Ashe Active Member

Good point. Worst case you can add normal handguards and keep the rail for later

13. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I don't have experience with this particular weapon, but in general, I think an M4 type AR clone is great for home defense, especially if you add a flashlight with the curly-cord switch, a momentary on-off pressure switch.

I would experiment with the low-light properties of shooting this gun with different kinds of ammo you might use for home defense.

If the muzzle flash is excessive, you might want to get a bigger and more effective flash hider for the muzzle end.

By the way, I'd keep this thing loaded with a short 20-round mag, not the big 30-round mag, just to make it more handy to wield inside your home.

14. EJR914

I agree with everything you said. M4's make great home defense weapons. High capacity, plenty of neat .223 rounds to chose from, Hornady has some good ones, and if you have a light attached, its a win. You could stop multiple perpetrators who are committing a violent and tumultuous home invasion with an M4. As we see in the news, sometimes these home invasions contain multiple perpetrators. Also, you could get a decent red-dot sight, if you're not happy with the open sights, which could make for accurate and quick acquisition of multiple targets. Add the flashlight and you're talking about one bad mama.

I also agree with Melissa, that for such a small amount of money more, I would get the rail. If she wants to remove the rail later and replace it, she could. Sounds like a win-win to me.

15. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

Excellent! I will be ordering the railed version tomorrow unless someone comes up with a really good reason not to! :mrgreen:

Merry Christmas to me!

16. EJR914

Sounds good! Enjoy your new toy. Merry Christmas, indeed. :righton:

17. 00leland00

00leland00 New Member

DD is good to go. I built several hundred of these.

18. EmergencyNrse

EmergencyNrse Member

Daniel Defense makes a a quality AR style rifle.
    Enjoy your purchase.

19. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

Please consider a mid-length gas system vs a carbine length gas system. Mid-length is the way to go! It allows for proper bolt dwell time, lower system pressures and a lower recoil impulse.

Please read: http://www.03designgroup.com/technotes/ ... gas-system

BTW, DD is an excellent choice...

20. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

Thanks for that. It was a good read and something to consider.