Let me pick the brains of any one that does illustration work..

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Fallschirmjäger, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Let's say that I have a photo of some colors that I want to match as closely as possible but the Hex/RGB colors that are Supposed to work aren't really a good match.

Is there any way to get a RGB color from a photo of a solid color, such as would be found in this pic?[​IMG]
    The color palette that I have gives these Hex numbers but as you can see the colors don't truly match..
    [​IMG]

2. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

First off digital colors are not exactly reproduced via digital photograph. Even making a digital scan will not produce a true color. This is because yellow is going to be added simply because it's digital and that is just the way digital works. The best way to to get the true color is to use film which produces a negative and a print. Scan the print into a photo editing software and adjust the gamma to remove the yellow added by the scan. Then check the RGB. You may be able to adjust the gamma to remove the yellow added by the digital photo but it's best to start with a pure color for a better control product.

3. Fallschirmjäger

Yeah :( I realize that what I see isn't necessarily what the same color is like 'in the flesh' but the first photo is Much closer to what I've seen in my collection or in other online sources of Swedish M90 camo.

4. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

I’m getting #111d19, #20300c, #3f4d10, and #7e8460 from the top image respectively. Are you attempting to color match for paint or print or something else?

Fallschirmjäger likes this.
  5. Fallschirmjäger

I'll be darned, I only tried the #111d19 so far but it's spot on for the Swedish M90 camo color palette I have.
    Why? Just fooling around with a pattern I want to paint on a rifle and thinking of printing out a few stencils.
    Future plan is to have a paint company mix up a bit of flat epoxy (if I can't find any DuraCoat that matches closely enough). [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
  6. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Heh, RGB to paint mix is real fun. There are a bunch of free converters out there if you find out what system they use.

7. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

Designing some new socks?