Georgiapacking.org banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
68,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
The explanation?

Kuehnlein has been an officer with the department for about two years, and had come from the Riverview Police Department. Uhrig said Tuesday that, perhaps, Kuehnlein was not accustomed to having someone question him as Darrow did, with a camera recording his responses.

"Most officers aren't used to being questioned like that," Uhrig said.
Like what?

"Did I do something wrong?"

Watch the video if you think he asked it disrespectfully.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Guys, we posted his video from the roadblock here a long time ago in another thread.

So, what does everybody think about the fact that the police officer's videotape is "missing?" That strikes me as potentially criminal.
I remember that video. That was pretty rediclous as well.

·
Registered
724 Posts
From my listening to the encounter on the tape I would say the officer committed assault several times on that kid. My understanding is that assault is not necessarily accomplished by making physical contact with another but can also be accomplished by invading another's space in a threatening manner. Am I correct in this understanding?

How about making terroristic threats? This seems to fit pretty well.

At any rate, I sure hope this cop ends up in prison soon being raped hourly by his new found friends.

AeroShooter referred to his friend taping his trip along the Dragon in NC. I highly recommend reading that wikipedia article. Here is just one quote:
Tennessee legislature passed a new law, Tennessee Code §55-9-105 [39], effective July 1, 2007, to ban all videocameras in Tennessee, when used in moving vehicles, with exception for videocameras and computer TV screens used by law enforcement agents.
And believe it or not it gets better from there!

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
RedBeard said:
From my listening to the encounter on the tape I would say the officer committed assault several times on that kid. My understanding is that assault is not necessarily accomplished by making physical contact with another but can also be accomplished by invading another's space in a threatening manner. Am I correct in this understanding?

At any rate, I sure hope this cop ends up in prison soon being raped hourly by his new found friends.

AeroShooter referred to his friend taping his trip along the Dragon in NC. I highly recommend reading that wikipedia article. Here is just one quote:
Tennessee legislature passed a new law, Tennessee Code §55-9-105 [39], effective July 1, 2007, to ban all videocameras in Tennessee, when used in moving vehicles, with exception for videocameras and computer TV screens used by law enforcement agents.
assault
1) v. the threat or attempt to strike another, whether successful or not, provided the target is aware of the danger. The assaulter must be reasonably capable of carrying through the attack. In some states if the assault is with a deadly weapon (such as sniping with a rifle), the intended victim does not need to know of the peril. Other state laws distinguish between different degrees (first or second) of assault depending on whether there is actual hitting, injury or just a threat. "Aggravated assault" is an attack connected with the commission of another crime, such as beating a clerk during a robbery or a particularly vicious attack. 2) n. the act of committing an assault, as in "there was an assault down on Third Avenue." Assault is both a criminal wrong, for which one may be charged and tried, and civil wrong for which the target may sue for damages due to the assault, including for mental distress.

battery
n. the actual intentional striking of someone, with intent to harm, or in a "rude and insolent manner" even if the injury is slight. Negligent or careless unintentional contact is not battery no matter how great the harm. Battery is a crime and also the basis for a lawsuit as a civil wrong if there is damage. It is often coupled with "assault" (which does not require actual touching) in "assault and battery."

from dictionary.law.com

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
RedBeard said:
The punchline is that the purpose of the restriction was not to cut back on tourist activities but an attempt to curtail capturing unsafe acts on the part of the police.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
Yeah, I loved reading the info about the Dragon after seeing your link here. Their new slogan should be "Tennessee State Police - Bridging the Gap Through Double Standards Since 2007"

·
68,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
AeroShooter said:
RedBeard said:
The punchline is that the purpose of the restriction was not to cut back on tourist activities but an attempt to curtail capturing unsafe acts on the part of the police.
:bsflag: Alert!

You can read the bill itself by clicking on the link in the Wikipedia article. It does not ban video cameras or recording.

It bans displays. It is a "no watching TV while driving" bill. It does not ban displays visible to passengers.

It says nothing about recording devices.

Be circumspect about information you find on Wikipedia. If you have time, challenge this one.

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
AeroShooter said:
RedBeard said:
:bsflag: Alert!

You can read the bill itself by clicking on the link in the Wikipedia article. It does not ban video cameras or recording.

It bans displays. It is a "no watching TV while driving" bill. It does not ban displays visible to passengers.

It says nothing about recording devices.

Be circumspect about information you find on Wikipedia. If you have time, challenge this one.
As always with Wikipedia... your mileage may vary. Ideally the best thing to do with this article is to scrap it and start over with a fresh author... ideally someone with out a bikers rule, cops are tools attitude.

·
68,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Officer's lawyer is whining about the guy filming it.

http://www.policeone.com/officer-miscon ... s/1354122/

"This is clearly a case where this young man is baiting police officers," attorney Travis L. Noble said.
It wasn't the first time Darrow captured interaction with police and posted it online.

Late last year, Darrow approached a police checkpoint with his in-car camera rolling. When the officer asked where he was going, he replied, "I don't wish to discuss my personal life with you, officer."

The officer ordered him out of the car, and the two argued.
He did not wish to discuss his personal life? Obviously, this kid is just asking for it.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
I'd like to punch that attorney in the face. Statements like that infuriate me.

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
How about this little gem from the comments section:

I saw this video and will agree that this boy is definetely trying to bait this officer. The only thing I heard that the officer could have done differently was not drop the F-bomb. I know in our daily duties profanity is one of those things that we all use and I am just as guilty using the F-bomb. Kids these days have no respect for the law. When I was younger and had interaction with officers, I showed a lot more respect then these kids do in this day and age. Just remember one thing, no matter how the situation was handled, that officer went home that night to his wife and kids.
So, if he didn't use the f-word, that would make his comments about inventing charges ok?

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Officer's lawyer is whining about the guy filming it.

http://www.policeone.com/officer-miscon ... s/1354122/

"This is clearly a case where this young man is baiting police officers," attorney Travis L. Noble said.
[quote:prlquuet]It wasn't the first time Darrow captured interaction with police and posted it online.

Late last year, Darrow approached a police checkpoint with his in-car camera rolling. When the officer asked where he was going, he replied, "I don't wish to discuss my personal life with you, officer."

The officer ordered him out of the car, and the two argued.
He did not wish to discuss his personal life? Obviously, this kid is just asking for it.[/quote:prlquuet]

:-({|= Boo hoo the poor officer was set up. Who cares. Maybe he shouldn't act like a jerk and you couldn't set him up.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
You can't set someone up to act like an @$$hat - that kind of work comes from deep within oneself.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Just because someone baits you, you don't have to take it. That separates the stupid fish in the cooler from the smart ones in the lake. Even if he did, entrapment is only illegal for the police, not for citizens. The officer could have also behaved well and gotten high marks for being better than a punk kid. Instead, he embarrassed himself royally. That 'young boy' is currently eating his lunch.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
kkennett said:
Just because someone baits you, you don't have to take it. That separates the stupid fish in the cooler from the smart ones in the lake. Even if he did, entrapment is only illegal for the police, not for citizens. The officer could have also behaved well and gotten high marks for being better than a punk kid. Instead, he embarrassed himself royally. That 'young boy' is currently eating his lunch.
+1

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
AeroShooter said:
Here's another solution:

iPod Nano

And this guy:

http://www.xtrememac.com/audio/earphone ... /index.php

This solution is best affordable if you already have the iPod, otherwise it would be more cost effective to pick a different solution.

There is also a similar solution for the regular iPod.

Also, if you have a PDA phone, there may exist software to turn it into a voice recorder.
That nano thingie is cool, but not at all cheap. You can get a complete stand alone digital recorder from Amazon.com for $30-50.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
AeroShooter said:
RedBeard said:

assault
1) v. the threat or attempt to strike another, whether successful or not, provided the target is aware of the danger. The assaulter must be reasonably capable of carrying through the attack. In some states if the assault is with a deadly weapon (such as sniping with a rifle), the intended victim does not need to know of the peril. Other state laws distinguish between different degrees (first or second) of assault depending on whether there is actual hitting, injury or just a threat. "Aggravated assault" is an attack connected with the commission of another crime, such as beating a clerk during a robbery or a particularly vicious attack. 2) n. the act of committing an assault, as in "there was an assault down on Third Avenue." Assault is both a criminal wrong, for which one may be charged and tried, and civil wrong for which the target may sue for damages due to the assault, including for mental distress.

battery
n. the actual intentional striking of someone, with intent to harm, or in a "rude and insolent manner" even if the injury is slight. Negligent or careless unintentional contact is not battery no matter how great the harm. Battery is a crime and also the basis for a lawsuit as a civil wrong if there is damage. It is often coupled with "assault" (which does not require actual touching) in "assault and battery."

from dictionary.law.com
Those are all state dependent...it would depend on the state definitions.

For example, battery in Georgia is basically an unwanted touching. As soon as you put your hands on someone, they can have you charged with battery if they want to push it. Of course, if it's your spouse or significant other, you immediately fall under the Lautenberg amendment and lose your right to own firearms for life. :roll:

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/s ... enDocument

Officer who berated driver loses job in St. George
By Kim Bell and Greg Jonsson
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
09/21/2007

ST. GEORGE â€" A police officer who was recorded berating a motorist earlier this month has lost his job.

The board of aldermen voted 5-0, with one member absent, to fire Sgt. James Kuehnlein on Monday. The vote was cast in a session closed to the public and wasn't announced until Wednesday, when a notice was posted at the City Hall of this tiny south St. Louis County community.

In a video that got wide viewership on the Internet, Kuehnlein taunts and threatens motorist Brett Darrow, 20, sometimes shouting and using profanity, after questioning him in a commuter lot near Interstate 55. Darrow posted the footage of the Sept. 7 incident on the web.

Darrow had met with St. George Police Chief Scott Uhrig after the incident to ask that Kuehnlein be fired. He said he's pleased that the officer is now off the city's force.

"It's what I wanted the whole time," Darrow said Thursday night. "The conduct was not forgivable."

Uhrig said he recommended that the board of aldermen fire Kuehnlein based both on his language in the tape and because he violated department policy. That's because Kuehnlein should have been taping the encounter himself with his police car's camera.

No such footage could be found, though the camera is functional, Uhrig said.

The incident and the firing of Kuehnlein was the talk of the monthly board of aldermen meeting Thursday night, which was moved from the tiny City Hall to a community center to accommodate an expected overflow crowd.

About 30 people showed up, some defending their town and saying they were proud of their police force.

"This city needs to keep its own police department," said Mike Mosier, a former St. Louis police officer who has lived in St. George for 42 years.

Others complained about police problems.

Alderman Carmen Wilkerson said she fielded dozens of calls from residents in recent days. She said many were from residents who said they were humiliated and embarrassed by the incident.

Aldermen said they planned to review how officers are hired and said the city attorney had looked into the cost of having St. Louis County patrol the city.

Kuehnlein's attorney, Travis L. Noble, said the officer received a letter Thursday detailing the reasons for his firing. Noble said he would review the letter with his client before deciding on a course of action.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts